It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TCC Surge
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:04 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2009 G8 GT
Its becoming more prone when going up slight inclines. I have some Trans-SeaFoam to try out, but haven't gotten around to it because I need to make time to drop the pan and such. Could this also be related to a possible ignition problem? I'm hinting at this because 2 of my coil posts are always slightly rusty. I'll need to check the resistances on the primaries and secondaries. Do we have the techinfo of 2000+ coil ohms?

FMS Custom Cam, Yank 3600 SS, 1LE (ZL1) 3.91, SLP Longtubes, Magnaflow cat-back, Rotofab CAI, tuned via HPTuners
415/391

Post subject: Re: TCC Surge
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:09 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1999 SSEi
1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
ignition would be my 99% guess.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:12 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
I had a similar issue with my friend's 2000 SSEi. At highway speeds (70ish), with light acceleration you could see the tach vary about 200 RPMs every second or so. I checked the coils, swapped mine in, replaced plugs and wires (they were due anyway), swapped the TPS, and changed transmission fluid, without solving the problem. What finally cured it was cleaning the rust off from the bolt and the threads in the floor pan where the negative battery cable connects. I also cleaned up the positive connections under the seat, and under the hood for good measure.

Blackhawk99 had an issue like that with his car that was a problem with the TPS. There is a TSB on that.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:54 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2009 G8 GT
Good info, thanks.

"TSB on it"? Techinfo of some kind? I'm curious what methods I can use to test my TPS. I'll be sure to clean up my coils again, but it keeps coming back so they will need replacement.

FMS Custom Cam, Yank 3600 SS, 1LE (ZL1) 3.91, SLP Longtubes, Magnaflow cat-back, Rotofab CAI, tuned via HPTuners
415/391

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:23 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
TSB=Technical Service bulletin from GM. Unfortunately, I can't find it now. I believe it was one after the 2000 model year.

You can try disconnecting it, then do a resistance check as the throttle is increased, with the engine off. It should vary smoothly. This is a lot easier to see with an analog meter (one with a pointer) as opposed to a digital meter.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.