It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:03 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP
Been awhile since I posted! :???:

I dont really know where to begin either!

awhile back whenever i would turn right the brakes would make a grinding noise and I could feel it in the brake pedal. never really paid it any attention because it would only do it every so often. reading now is the wheel hub assembly (wss)

also I had the service stability light come on and I read thats the steering wheel positioning sensor. this light comes on at different speeds and driving conditions.

are these things related? how serious are these things?

if I have a bad wheel hub assembly which side of the car would be bad if I notice it when I turn right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:07 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Forgot to mention that sometimes on the highway the traction control light comes on

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:39 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
All symptoms you are describing can be caused by a faulty WSS. The stability system reads data from the steering wheel position sensor, yaw sensor <what direction the car is going, versus where it is pointing>, and all wheel speed sensors. If a WSS is dead or dying, it can affect it too. Usually if it is just the "Service Stability System" message, and abs/traction control are working properly, the only components left are the yaw sensor <less likely> and steering wheel position sensor. It would be a good idea to get the hub assembly replaced as mention, and see what issues remain.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:18 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Thanks for the info RJ! I was in a front end car accident this past month and the damage was on the passenger side of the car. after getting the car back today the service stability light was on. I figured it would have been fixed with the rest of the front end.

all the damage was done on that side but there was about $9500 worth of damage done to the car. the axle was broken and the steering shaft. give the place of damage and how much shouldnt that have been fixed?

Last edited by All Things Gxp on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:21 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
They might have replaced the hub, but the wiring could be faulty or something. Take it back and mandate that it be fixed and you're not paying for it.

What did they estimate the car's value at to make $9500 worth fixing and not totalling??

:eek!: After seeing that pic, that should've totalled the car. Was the subframe bent?

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

Last edited by 00Beast on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:51 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

No the sub frame wasnt bent! the guy at the dealership even said he was surprised it wasnt totaled give how much suspension work needed to be done (had a broken axle). the appraiser stated she booked the car at $13k and I was like there is no way but she insisted on fixing it!!! because it only has 35k miles on it and it is well maintained. I'm gonna call them tomorrow to tell them the light is on.

long story short the car accident wasnt my fault but the guy who hit me was not from the states and was living here illegally. so when he hit me I and my insurance company knew he didnt have insurance so they had to pay well come to find out he was driving his brothers car and he had insurance so they had to reimburse my insurance company. if we would have known about that from the beginning im sure his ins comp would have totaled it.

Last edited by All Things Gxp on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:56 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

That's interesting. Control arm wasn't broken? Glad to see your car didn't have to go to heaven.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:46 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
The steering shaft was broken? Wow. I too am surprised it wasn't totaled. Something that bad I would be leery to own now.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:09 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

well he didnt call it the steering shaft well he really didnt call it anything other than to say that the steering wheel would spin and never stop. Now I needed to have the intermediate shaft fixed because it was clunking but the steering wheel never did that. but the tech said it something in there was cracked in pieces! as far as I know the control arm wasnt broken but I havent got the complete write up yet. the insurance appraiser assured me and so did the tech that I would not have any problems out of my car. i explained to them i was worried about all the damage and the car never being the same again. as it is they fixed the steering wheel and it feels real loose to me.

they did tell me that because the car is rare all the parts are new because they couldnt find any at any junkyards

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:10 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

I'll take pics of the car tomorrow all put together but it just didnt seem to be the same to me idk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:48 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

GXP isn't terribly rare. They're just not very common in junkyards because the few that get wrecked get parted and crushed, as they're new cars to a lot of people yet, and they didn't have high production numbers as compared to an SE or something.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:40 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Took it in today to be scanned! Faulty steering wheel postion sensor! Getting fixed on Tuesday!