It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:55 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
Hey Guys/Gals

Looking for the ABS Pump replacement procedure... The ABS pump failed on my 03 SLE leaving the ABS, Trac Off and Brake light on.. I forget the exact code, but it was for a shorted solenoid in the ABS Pump..

Once installed and bled will it be good to go, or will I have to have an auto Bleed performed with a scan tool?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:06 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Pretty sure it's gotta be bled with a Tech II, and programmed.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:23 pm 

Yeah I would just like to know what exactly I am looking at... I have a guy about 40 Miles south of me that has a Scan Tool that can deal with that for me.. Just wanted to know what all was involved...lol

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:40 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) Replacement
Removal Procedure

Caution

For safety reasons, the brake pressure modulator valve assembly must not be repaired, the complete unit must be replaced. With the exception of the EBCM, no screws on the brake pressure modulator valve assembly may be loosened. If screws are loosened, it will not be possible to get the brake circuits leak-tight and personal injury may result.

# Turn OFF the ignition.

Important

the area around the electronic brake control module (EBCM)/brake pressure modulator valve (BPMV) must be free from dirt to prevent contamination of disassembled ABS components.
# Thoroughly wash all contaminants from around the EBCM/BPMV.
# Remove the EBCM connector position assurance (2) from the EBCM electrical connector (1).
# Rotate the EBCM connector tab up to the unlocked position.

Notice

To prevent equipment damage, never connect or disconnect the wiring harness connection from the EBCM with the ignition switch in the ON position.
# Remove the EBCM electrical connector (1) from the EBCM (4).

Caution

Brake fluid may irritate eyes and skin. In case of contact, take the following actions:

* Eye contact--rinse thoroughly with water.
* Skin contact--wash with soap and water.
* If ingested--consult a physician immediately.

Notice

When removing the brake pressure modulator valve, protect the vehicle exterior from possible brake fluid spillage. Brake fluid can cause damage to painted surfaces.

Notice

Excessive bending of brake pipes during BPMV removal or installation may cause permanent damage that will require replacement.

Important

Record the location of all brake pipes to the BPMV for use as an aid during installation.
# Remove the 2 master cylinder brake pipes (1) from the BPMV (2).

Remove the 4 wheel brake pipes (1) from the BPMV (2).

# Clean any brake fluid spillage from the BPMV (1).
# Remove the 2 BPMV bracket nuts (2).
# Remove the EBCM/BPMV assembly (1) from the BPMV bracket (3).

Remove the BPMV electrical connector (2) from the EBCM (3)

Remove the 6 EBCM to BPMV screws (2).

13. Clean the surface of the EBCM/BPMV assembly.

Important

The EBCM cannot be repaired. If faulty, the unit must be replaced.
14. Separate the EBCM (2) from the BPMV (1).

Installation Procedure

# Clean the surface of the BPMV.
# Install the EBCM (2) to the BPMV (1).

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
# Install the 6 EBCM to BPMV screws (2).
Tighten

Tighten the 6 screws to 3.2 N·m (28 lb in).

# Install the BPMV electrical connector (2) to the EBCM (3).

Important

Make sure that all 3 rubber isolators are installed on the BPMV. The isolators protect the EBCM/BPMV assembly from vehicle vibrations.
# Install the EBCM/BPMV assembly (1) to the BPMV bracket (3).

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
# Install the 2 BPMV bracket nuts (2).
Tighten

Tighten the 2 nuts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Caution

The brake pipes must be fully installed to the brake pipe mounting retainers on the frame. Failure to properly retain the brake pipes may cause the pipes to contact the frame and/or the transmission resulting in possible loss of brake fluid and personal injury.

Caution

Make sure brake pipes are correctly connected to BPMV. If brake pipes are switched by mistake Inlet vs. Outlet, wheel lockup will occur and personal injury may result.

Important

If a new BPMV is being installed, remove the shipping plugs from the valve openings.
# Install the 4 wheel brake pipes (1) to the BPMV (2) using the locations recorded during the removal procedure.
Tighten

Tighten the 4 brake pipes to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

# Install the 2 master cylinder brake pipes (1) to the BPMV (2) using the locations recorded during the removal procedure.
Tighten

Tighten the 2 brake pipes to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

Notice

To prevent equipment damage, never connect or disconnect the wiring harness connection from the EBCM with the ignition switch in the ON position.
# Install the EBCM electrical connector (1) to the EBCM (4).

10. Rotate the EBCM connector tab (2) down to the locked position.
11. Install the connector position assurance (2) to the EBCM electrical connector (1).
12. Fill and bleed the hydraulic brake system. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling and Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes.
13. Perform the Auto Bleed Procedure. Refer to ABS Automated Bleed Procedure .
14. Perform the ABS Diagnostic System Check. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - ABS .

ABS Automated Bleed Procedure
Bleeding the ABS System

Perform a manual or pressure bleeding procedure. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes. If the desired brake pedal height results are not achieved, perform the automated bleed procedure below.

The procedure cycles the system valves and runs the pump in order to purge the air from the secondary circuits normally closed off during normal base brake operation and bleeding. The automated bleed procedure is recommended when air ingestion is suspected in the secondary circuits, or when the BPMV has been replaced.
Automated Bleed Procedure

Notice

The Auto Bleed Procedure may be terminated at any time during the process by pressing the EXIT button. No further Scan Tool prompts pertaining to the Auto Bleed procedure will be given. After exiting the bleed procedure, relieve bleed pressure and disconnect bleed equipment per manufacturers instructions. Failure to properly relieve pressure may result in spilled brake fluid causing damage to components and painted surfaces.
1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable support. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
2. Remove all four tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
3. Inspect the brake system for leaks and visual damage. Refer to Brake Fluid Loss or Symptoms - Hydraulic Brakes in Hydraulic Brakes. Repair or replace as needed.
4. Inspect the battery state of charge. Refer to Battery Inspection/Test in Engine Electrical.
5. Install a scan tool.
6. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
7. With the scan tool, establish communications with the EBCM. Select Special Functions. Select Automated Bleed from the Special Functions menu.
8. Bleed the base brake system. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes.
9. Follow the scan tool directions until the desired brake pedal height is achieved.
10. If the bleed procedure is aborted, a malfunction exists. Perform the following steps before resuming the bleed procedure:
* If a DTC is detected, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List and diagnose the appropriate DTC.
* If the brake pedal feels spongy, perform the conventional brake bleed procedure again. Refer to Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding in Hydraulic Brakes.
11. When the desired pedal height is achieved, press the brake pedal in order to inspect for firmness.
12. Remove the scan tool.
13. Install the tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
14. Inspect the brake fluid level. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Filling in Hydraulic Brakes.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:00 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
In short, reading that says "no, scan tool not necessary" if you like how it turns out.

FWIW, on my 99 I didn't need a scan tool when I had the ABS module out when replacing all the brake lines. Bleeding the lines, then applying the ABS and parking the car immediately after was sufficient.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:03 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
I just had my system flushed at the dealer and they did have to hook up the TECH II to cycle the ABS solenoids. The cost was $140, but they did say that you can get away without doing it, but the first time the ABS kicks in it will force a bunch of air into the system and then it will need bled again later.

There is also the other method. The one where you bleed the system and go for a ride and find a gravel road to activate the ABS. Then repeat until all the air is out.

Also, Dick's post might be a good thing to put in techinfo.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:57 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
myfirstbonnie wrote:
I just had my system flushed at the dealer and they did have to hook up the TECH II to cycle the ABS solenoids. The cost was $140, but they did say that you can get away without doing it, but the first time the ABS kicks in it will force a bunch of air into the system and then it will need bled again later.

There is also the other method. The one where you bleed the system and go for a ride and find a gravel road to activate the ABS. Then repeat until all the air is out.

The bolded text is how I did it. It was actually a snow-covered road this past December in upstate NY. :banana:

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:00 pm 

Thanks for the Info.... I replaced the ABS/TCS module-pump, we did a good bleed, got a lot of the old fluid out... Took it out and forced it to hit TCS and ABS several times over... Brakes feel really good and firm, the systems function just as they should... I noticed the LOW TRAC light works too now, it didn't before for what ever reason, would come on when you start the car but never showed low trac when you lost traction.... Now with the replacement pump it works...lol

Thanks Guys... Glad to have the Christmas tree of lights out...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:08 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE || 51k miles
Finally, I'm not the only one who has seen this issue. I had to replace both the abs pump and ebcm for the same exact symptoms.

Audio: 12" Alpine Type-R Sub || Eclipse XA1200 500w amp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:13 pm 

Yeah mine was a solenoid short in the pump... From what I understand this is a common problem among the newer GM's.. But I am glad to have it fixed...lol