PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:35 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Buick LeSabre
There is an update about 11 posts down.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:31 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
ok i dunno about anyone else but i have the highway death shake right around 64-65 mph and its stops somewhere over 79 mph or so well i had no idea what it was but my girl was playing with my 7 mo in the yard and noticed the air deflector that is under the front bumper was hanging there by the drivers side well i just ignored it at first then i thought hard about it what if the plastic is stiff enough that 0-60 mph doesnt bother it or bothers it slightly and when u go just a little faster it causes it to shake rapidly.. if u havent looked its attached to everything under there the bumper i mean everything i also noticed mine was missing a bunch of bolts and stuff so on the ride home from work i duct taped it pretty well just to test this idea and i swear that for the first couple of miles it was gone and then it came back due to the tape coming off.. has anyone else looked at there's to see if its loose??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:18 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
Every available option
jhudspe2 wrote:
ok i dunno about anyone else but i have the highway death shake right around 64-65 mph and its stops somewhere over 79 mph or so well i had no idea what it was but my girl was playing with my 7 mo in the yard and noticed the air deflector that is under the front bumper was hanging there by the drivers side well i just ignored it at first then i thought hard about it what if the plastic is stiff enough that 0-60 mph doesnt bother it or bothers it slightly and when u go just a little faster it causes it to shake rapidly.. if u havent looked its attached to everything under there the bumper i mean everything i also noticed mine was missing a bunch of bolts and stuff so on the ride home from work i duct taped it pretty well just to test this idea and i swear that for the first couple of miles it was gone and then it came back due to the tape coming off.. has anyone else looked at there's to see if its loose??

holy smokes, you might be on to something. I too noticed that problem with mine a couple of years ago and recall just trying to prop up the low-hanging air deflector (bottom part of the wheel well liner IIRC) on the drivers with a plastic plug to replaced one of the lost oem plastic snaps that holds the deflector to the back of the air dam. Your suggestion kinda sounds like my "loose/flapping air dam" theory. I'll have to have a look at how my loose deflector patch job is holding up.

Man, that would be a welcome discovery of the "underlying" source of the shimmy problem.

Will report back

Intense 3.4 MPS, Intense FWI, Intense PCM, copper NGKs TR55's, MSD wires, MSD coils, BWD ICM, MagnaFlow High Flow Cat, drilled 180 'stat, solid front mount, Monroe Max Air rear shocks, Moog rear mounts, Moog suspension bushings, cleared front corners, 190,000 miles

Post subject: Re: highway death shake
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:41 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

So; golfyeti, how did this work out?

Ken_W

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:14 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Every available option
Ken_W wrote:
So; golfyeti, how did this work out?

Ken_W

Ken, sorry, since I last posted my car died at the lake (won't turn over - fuse box issue I think) so I have not been able to test this.

Intense 3.4 MPS, Intense FWI, Intense PCM, copper NGKs TR55's, MSD wires, MSD coils, BWD ICM, MagnaFlow High Flow Cat, drilled 180 'stat, solid front mount, Monroe Max Air rear shocks, Moog rear mounts, Moog suspension bushings, cleared front corners, 190,000 miles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:02 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2005 SLE
I had this problem on my 97, it was the tires. I took the tires to get them road forced balanced at another tire shop, since Goodyear could not get them balanced right, and they found out that one of the tires had a high spot on it that was causing the vibe. The tires were new. Goodyear gave me a new set, instead of replacing the one, which was dumb. Had a vibration with the second set also. This time Good year found out that two of the ties had high spots. Ended up with a third set of tires, different series, and the vibe is gone. Three sets of tires in one month, lol. It ended up just being the tires and not any of the other things that I had read about!!!!

November 2010 COTM