It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heated Seat Woes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:18 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE || 51k miles
Well, spent about 4 hours working on diagnosing the drivers heated seat problem in my car.

I was having some problems with my seat all the way down popping fuses, and today when I pulled the seat, I found this:

The wires had been routed incorrectly under the seat, and had been rubbing on one of the seat motors. It had rubbed through the electrical tape, and the insulation on some of the wires. So we cleaned the wires, and individually taped the wires, and then retaped the harness together.

My issue with the heated seat is still present. We pulled the seat bottom, and found a broken wire. We then tested the entire seat skins for continuity, and it showed a complete circuit. But when plugged into the car, it still turns on, and then turns right back off.

We then switched the modules from the drivers and passenger, and the symtoms were the same, and the passenger seat still worked fine.

All the wires in the wire harness that rubbed are showing continuity, but is there a wire in there that could be causing this not to work.

My dad and I are at a complete loss of what the problem could be.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Audio: 12" Alpine Type-R Sub || Eclipse XA1200 500w amp

Post subject: Re: Heated Seat Woes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:26 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
I had a broken wire in the seat back as well as the bottom. Did you check for continuity there as well?

Edit sorry I now see that you said you tested the entire seat skin.

2000 SSEi - Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by viper8907 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:29 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Yeah we connected the full seat and tested continuity. We also are seeing the same resistance through both seats.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
There could be a broken wire that is still somewhat attached... it will conduct continuity, but when a load is applied, it can't handle it.

Thats my best guess, sorry.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:33 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Andrew, I appreciate the help never the less. My dad and I are at a complete loss of what the problem could be.

Is there a certain wire that sends the signal for the heated seats to not work? I think I saw a heated seat inhibit wire on the diagrams, but am unsure of what it actually does?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Do you have the GM ESI techline DVD? I'd post the testing steps, but if you already have them its pointless.

Power and Grounds
Battery positive voltage is supplied at all times to the driver and passenger heated seat modules from the rear fuse block; HTDST LF Fuse for the driver heated seat module, or, HTDST RF Fuse for the passenger heated seat module. This battery voltage is used by the module to apply voltage to the seat heating elements. Battery positive voltage is also supplied to both heated seat modules from the rear fuse block IGN 3 Fuse with the ignition in the ON position. This voltage is used to power up the module. Both modules are grounded through the ground circuit to G301. The heated seat switches are grounded through the switch ground circuit and G201.

Temperature Regulation
The heated seat system is designed in order to warm the seat cushion and seat back to approximately 107.6°F (42°C) when in the high position, and 98.6°F (37°C) when in the low position. The heated seat module monitors the seat temperature through the temperature sensor signal circuit and the temperature sensor (thermistor) that is located in the seat cushion. The temperature sensor is a variable resistor, it's resistance changes as the temperature of the seat changes. When the temperature sensor resistance indicates to the heated seat module that the seat has reached the desired temperature, the module opens the ground path of the seat heating elements through the heated seat element control circuit. The module will then cycle the element control circuit open and closed in order to maintain the desired temperature.

Heated Seats
The driver and passenger heated seat are controlled by separate heated seat switches. When the heated seat is off and the heated seat switch is toggled toward HI/LO, the heated seat high/low signal circuit of the heated seat module is momentarily grounded through the HI/LO switch contacts. In response to this signal, the heated seat module applies battery positive voltage to the seat cushion/back heater elements, setting the temperature level to high heat. The module also applies battery positive voltage through the heated seat high temperature indicator control circuit to illuminate the high temperature indicator of the heated seat switch. When the heated seat switch is toggled toward HI/LO a second time, the heated seat high/low signal circuit of the heated seat module is again momentarily grounded through the HI/LO switch contacts. In response to this second signal, the heated seat module sets the temperature level to low heat and applies battery positive voltage through the heated seat low temperature indicator control circuit to illuminate the low temperature indicator of the heated seat switch. When the heated seat switch is toggled toward OFF, the heated seat off signal circuit of the heated seat module is momentarily grounded through the OFF switch contacts. In response to this signal, the heated seat module removes the battery voltage from the seat heating elements and the appropriate temperature indicator. The heated seat module will also turn off the heated seat whenever the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position.

Load Management
There are 3 levels of load management controlled by the dash integration module (DIM). The DIM sends the status of load management to the rear integration module (RIM) via a class 2 message. In response to this message, the RIM signals the heated seat modules through the heated seat module inhibit signal circuit indicating the current load management level. During Load Shed 0, the RIM does not inhibit the operation of the heated seats. During load shed level 1, the heated seats are cycled 10 seconds on and 10 seconds off, with temperature regulation still being enforced. During load shed level 2, the RIM will pull the inhibit signal circuit of the heated seat module to ground. In response to this signal, the heated seat modules will turn off the heated seats and temperature indicators that are illuminated. The instrument cluster will display a BATTERY SAVER ACTIVE message. The ON/OFF status of the heated seats is reported to the RIM through the heated seat control module status signal circuit by both heated seat modules.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner

Last edited by harofreak00 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:49 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

I do have the techline DVD, and took a look at the procedure today. I am not really feeling like tearing back into the car again anytime soon, and I go back to school next week so I will be without a garage. Probably going to wait until spring break to get back to it.

Not really sure where to start except follow the procedure. I am worried that It is going to come down to putting new elements in. I wish someone was parting out a car with my color seats and heated. I would buy the leather skin right away.

I did see the low voltage warning yesterday because we had to keep turning the car on for the seats to go on. We finally disconnected the headlight bulbs and just hooked up the battery charger.

At this point I think it has to be something with a wire in the seat harness, or the element is broken somewhere, and like you said Andrew, is passing continuity but not during a load.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:02 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
My passenger seat heater has been out for a few years now. I bought new elements but they have been on the shelf since then.

I'm not even interested in repairing it now.

Might be a good WCBF mod. :bhuh:

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:49 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Well I think I thought of a solution today. As we have heard before, the replacement elements do not work as well because they have to warm through the old elements. The old elements are built into the foam liner behind the leather, and when we were working on the seat, we noticed that they are not glued to eachother (the foam and leather).

What if I cut out the foam (including the elements) in the seat bottom, and then stuck the new elements directly to the leather, therefore removing the old elements that were in the way of the heat from the replacement parts. This would probably work just as well as the stock ones, correct?

I'm thinking that this might be the best option right now, and I'll probably just leave the stock element in the seat back, since that one isn't causing any problems.

Paul or Andrew, do either of you forsee a problem with doing that?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yup, sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:10 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
These are two notices that is part of the TSB for replacement heater elements.

Quote:
Important: DO NOT attempt to remove the factory heat elements from the seat trim covers.

Important: ALL of the elements in the Front Seat Heater Package MUST be installed in order for the system to function properly.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:23 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

I have the TSB. There is no reason you couldnt remove the factory elements. they are not glued or attached to the leather in any way, and are only inhibiting the head transfer.

The overall resistance of the new elements might be different, but if it works without changing out the seat back, no reason to change it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:16 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 03 SSEI, 02 SSEI, 98 SSEI, 98 SSE, 98 SLE 98 SE
Try swapping the pass and drivers seat just enough to plug the drivers seat into the pass. I had to do that to narrow down a problem I had with mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:50 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
The replaceable elements I bought thru the dealer MUST replace ALL the elements including the back in order to work properly.
The wiring is different so the seat bottom won't work without also replacing the seat back. :roll:

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 1996 Pontiac Bonneville SE
I had the same problem with my heated seat. I would turn it on and it would turn right off again. I took it to the dealer and they said the heating elements were out and they had to replace the heater in the seat. Im sure glad that was covered under the warranty.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:36 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 98 Bonneville SE - 106K
07 Lucerne CX - only 25K
I recently bought a replacement heating element from Dorman Products for a 03 Monte Carlo. The element has double faced tape applied to both side that you stick to the foam. The wiring connector is the same, so you don't have to change both elements. I carefully removed the old heat element from the seat covering. Not a fun job.