It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tranny woes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:22 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEI, 2004 SLE
3rd gear gone. :sad: Car is at dealership :sad: , their working up a price for new one and a rebuild. Any preferences or advice? :wink:

2001 SSEI-304,572 miles, 3.5 Pulley, Intense PCM, Intense FWI Spectre filter, 160 tstat, ngk iridiums, belden wires, Silverstars-high and low beam, rebuilt tranny, shift kit, cooler, Dex VI fluid, replace the rear compressor and lines and level sensor, Monroe air shocks in back, FE5 struts and Moog strut mounts, Moog stabilizer bars, AC\Delco control arms.

2004 SLE-Stock, 195,000 miles,oldest son's baby now

2000 Ford Ranger-Stock, 352,000 hard, pizza delivery miles, new control arms (upper and lower), new(used) tranny

Post subject: Re: tranny woes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:57 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
I'm assuming this is in the 01? Make sure they put in the hardened 4th hub, and they should already be putting in all the other applicable upgrades. While it's apart, I'd also have them install a Trans-Go shift kit. Also, if their price is over $2500, I'd try and go somewhere else. I got a full rebuild on mine, plus a new front axle, for $2300, at Aamco. Only reason I went there is because the guy who rented our other house at the time works there, and we were able to get a slight discount.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:29 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Yep the 01. I just went to Atlanta in this thing and had no issues as long as it got warmed up. I'm back for a week or 2 and I start to notice a few things, hard shifting and a little slippage. :eek: Thought I just needed to change the fluid and filter, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :angry4: 3rd gear gets up and leaves and reverse wants to follow! Looking online and around town for prices and warranties and such, I'll post what I find in an hour or so.

2001 SSEI-304,572 miles, 3.5 Pulley, Intense PCM, Intense FWI Spectre filter, 160 tstat, ngk iridiums, belden wires, Silverstars-high and low beam, rebuilt tranny, shift kit, cooler, Dex VI fluid, replace the rear compressor and lines and level sensor, Monroe air shocks in back, FE5 struts and Moog strut mounts, Moog stabilizer bars, AC\Delco control arms.

2000 Ford Ranger-Stock, 352,000 hard, pizza delivery miles, new control arms (upper and lower), new(used) tranny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:55 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

You could probably get a re-man for $1500 and installed for less than $2200. I'd have a shift kit installed no matter what. One of the best parts I've put in my car.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:51 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

OK, here's what I got so far.

Dealer-$2900 GM reman tranny installed. 3 yr. 100,000 mile warranty

Dealer-$1500 to 1800 rebuild. 12 month 12,000 mile warranty

Advance-$1325 reman tranny. 3 yr 75,000 mile warranty

Tranny shop-$900 to 1300 rebuild. 6 month warranty

Transgo Shift kit-$50 to 70

The tranny was rebuilt once already at INTENSE at 127,000 miles, according to Jastek1 and now it's at 197,000.

The car is at the dealer now. Will probably let them put anything in since they were good enough to diagnose it for me and gave me a ride back to the store. Their good people. Their a little pricey, though, but that's a dealership for ya. The Advance tranny looks like the best bang for the buck, but I wonder if it has the upgrades and will the installation of the Transgo Shift kit affect the warranty. I'll have to call tomorrow and check on that. If I had an AAMCO in my town I would try to limp it there, but the nearest one is in Rock Hill, 30 miles away, and Charlotte, NC, 45 miles away. I don't think I'll make it to either one. The tranny shop is 5 minutes away from the dealership. That's all for now. Discuss.

Last edited by spidey3479 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:20 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

That's a tough one. See if the dealer will give you a 3 year warranty on a rebuild, even if it costs a little more. If they do, It'd be worth getting the rebuild instead of the GM re-man.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:41 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Update! AAMCO in Monroe, NC gave me a price quote of $1800 to $2200 for a rebuild and warranty. Advance said a shift kit installed would definitely void the warranty. I don't see the point in doing any of this if I can't have the rebuild done the way I want it. Sure I'll have a warranty, but I will pay more for it and not be happy. If I get the dealer to rebuild it I can still have a warranty, allbeit a shorter one, and I can get them to do what I want to it, i.e a shift kit and thermostatic tranny cooler. HMMMMM...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:02 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
Does the dealer have a Trans guy that specializes in the GM FWD units? and does the price of the rebuild include the R&R of the trans?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:11 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

I'd go to Aamco, personally. There's Aamco's all over the country, so if you have issues the car doesn't have to be towed all the way home, just to the nearest Aamco. They will also install a shift kit, as well as anything else you want, and as long as they did it, it's under warranty.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:45 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
If it lasts for 3 months, chances are it will last for 3 years.

I would go with a specialty shop over the dealer.

Around here it cost $2,500 for the rebuild plus another $500 to re/re the trani. Make sure those prices you were quoted includes removal and reinstall.

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:00 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 05 Chevy 'Hoe
1997 'maro (3.8L M5)
89 SkiDoo
Might as well have them throw on a new gasket for the plate thats on the back of the engine and torque to specs, since trans will be out, very prone to leaks, as mine had been leaking since ive had the car.

00Beast wrote:
Less off-topic than Lane's Heated Steering wheel, but yeah, back to the topic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:46 pm 

Year and Trim: 09 G8 GT
2000Silverbullet wrote:
If it lasts for 3 months, chances are it will last for 3 years.

I would go with a specialty shop over the dealer.

Around here it cost $2,500 for the rebuild plus another $500 to re/re the trani. Make sure those prices you were quoted includes removal and reinstall.

The market in Western Canada is quite different, Paul. $3000 for a non-dealer, OEM spec rebuild isn't typical in most parts.

But I, too, would go with a specialty shop. I'm totally happy with the place I went to, where the builder knew the 4T60/65 like the back of their hand. Generally cheaper and the technical know-how is the same.

09 Lexus LS460 AWD -- 94,000km -- Daily Driver
09 White Hot G8 GT -- 155,000km (fuelly) -- LS3 Cam -- GM LS3 CNC Ported Heads -- Kooks 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers -- Solo Catback Midsection -- Hooker Maxflow Mufflers -- Pat G Tune -- Rotofab Intake -- Tein S-Tech Springs -- GXP FE3 Dampers -- BMR Subframe Cradle Inserts -- BMR Subframe Connectors -- Forgestar F14 Gold 18x9 +40 -- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/45/18 -- Maverick Man Carbon Fiber Spoiler

Last edited by repinS on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:29 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

That saying,"If it last 3 months it will last 3 yrs.", that's not the 1st time I've heard that. The tranny shop is the same one that rebuilt my 88's tranny so I do trust them. That thing still spins the front tires easily if your not easy with the gas. I talked to one of the dealership mechs and he said they were knowledgeable about the upgrades and he mentioned a few that I've heard here. He also said that it may not need everything replaced inside and that if that is the case then it may not be that much to rebuild. At the very least I want them to replace the gaskets and seals, bands, install a cooler and a shift kit and make all the upgrades. Hopefully there aren't any hard parts damaged. The dealership said they would warranty any and all parts related to the gm tranny parts, but as far as the shift kit goes, if anything breaks because of that they would not be able to back that up. The guys at the specialty shop and AAMCO don't have a problem with the shift kit. Now, the next thing is the inconvenience. AAMCO will have to bring a wrecker to pick up the car, that's 30 miles away, and take it back to Monroe. The specialty shop has some of the worst customer service and kept my 88 for 3 and a half weeks when they originally told me a week at the most. The dealership is less than half a mile from my store and the mgr. there is a friend that I have dealt with for years and will do her very best to keep me informed and try to keep this job from getting to expensive. Right now they are looking for work to do so I know they will start immediately. :thumbup:
HMMMMMMMMMMM...I think I am leaning toward the dealer more and more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:39 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Talked to wifey and she brought her common sense, no bs opinion. I have to agree that the tranny shop did a great job on the last one I gave them and they don't mind putting in the shift kit or the cooler, in fact they recommended them! And I was wrong on their warranty, its 6 months or 6,000 miles, even better! Wifey said, "I know that you feel some allegiance to the dealership, but that's almost an $800 difference and they'll do everything you want!" Sometimes I just need to be smacked on the back of the head, again. #-o

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:56 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 05 Chevy 'Hoe
1997 'maro (3.8L M5)
89 SkiDoo
spidey3479 wrote:
Talked to wifey and she brought her common sense, no bs opinion. I have to agree that the tranny shop did a great job on the last one I gave them and they don't mind putting in the shift kit or the cooler, in fact they recommended them! And I was wrong on their warranty, its 6 months or 6,000 miles, even better! Wifey said, "I know that you feel some allegiance to the dealership, but that's almost an $800 difference and they'll do everything you want!" Sometimes I just need to be smacked on the back of the head, again. #-o

:bstooges: Hehe

00Beast wrote:
Less off-topic than Lane's Heated Steering wheel, but yeah, back to the topic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:04 pm 

Russ if your tranny shop is the one that built the 88 SSE trans I would be very tempted to take the 01 to them being that they did a good job on the the THM440-T4.. They should be able to do a good Job on your 4T65-E and there are several updates that will need to be performed... If they knew how to build the 440-T4 they should do great with the 65-E

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:43 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Gonna try to get it to them on Monday. Hopefully they will get it done by SEBF 09! I really want to make it down there. Looks like I may have to sell the 88 SSE to pay for this repair though. :sad: :sad: I hate to let her go, but I'm between a rock and a hard place. I don't drive her very much anymore and I don't have the time that I used to to finish her restoration, so I guess someone else will have to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:55 pm 

Russ I do hope that you can make it down here..

I hate to see you let the SSE go as well.. But if you have to do it....... If you make it down here, I'll have to show you my projects that I have very limited time for...

Let us know how it all goes.. and what the verdict for failure is...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:55 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Started cleaning the 88 SSE and getting it ready for sale and the more I did the more I realized I couldn't sell her. So now I'll start saving and scraping any and all extra $$ together to pay for the rebuild. I have until next Friday to have the $$ and still be able to go to SEBF 09. If it looks like I'll be able to get it together by then, I'll put her in the shop on Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:59 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
Are you really prepared to spend $5000 on it? :???:

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)