It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:09 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
My buddy was over, checking out my car, and we decided to change the shocks, since he was here and had time to spare. So i take the bolt off, and then the other one won't come, so we say screw it, and i put the bolt back in and it gets to about 3/4 the way in and the "clip" with the threads on it breaks off. So we take it out to make sure that nothing is too bad, and it drives fine, but how much will it be to fix that? Will it require a new Control arm?

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:38 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
To fix that you are now missing a bolt holding the bottom of the shock? Just put in a standard nut and bolt, maybe a lock washer, to take its place.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:16 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

it is not missing, just not tight, just kind of there

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:50 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
Eventually, the stresses will likely cause the shock to work loose. Try to get the old bolt out, and rep;lace it. Try clamping, cutting, drilling, etc. Corrosion builds up between the bolt and aluminum control which then holds the bolt in. Even with lots of PB Blaster, I snapped one of the bolts getting it out. When installing, use lots of anti-seize. Not only to make things easier, should it have to come apart again, but also to help lubricate to make installation easier.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:28 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Yeah, i got the other one tight, and it is working itself loose already

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:15 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

I fixed it, took a Vice Grip and tightened it, good enough till i get it to the shop in the next week or so

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:46 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SE
those "clips" are called speed nuts. if that's all you broke and the bolt is still ok, you can pick up a pack of four of them at auto zone for about two dollars. I had the opposite problem... broke off the bolt in the control arm.
make sure you know the bolt diameter so they can get you the right speed nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:05 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

I don't know the bolt dia., but i do know the head size, will that be enough

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:26 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SE
No, they have to know the thread width so they know what size speed nut to give you. You could have the same bolt head on a number of different thread sizes. I don't remember the size from when I changed mine, or I'd give it to you.

I just re-read your post, and now I want to clarify something. You took one bolt completely out. Then you tried to get the other one out, but it wouldn't budge. So you were putting the first one back in and the speed nut broke. Correct?

So is the speed nut still attached to the bolt? Is that what you tightened with the vice grip... screwed the broken half of the speed nut back down on the bolt? If so, I guess that should hold it for now, but I'd think it'll be twice as hard to remove. Anyway, what I'd do is when you have the time to commit two or three hours to the fix, take off your wheels, get those bolts out, and have someone else drive you to the auto parts store to get a new pack of speed nuts. Take the bolts with you so they can size them for speed nuts, and buy new bolts if those aren't in good shape. I say two or three hours because you never know when a quick job will turn into a much longer one because of something simple like a broken nut or bolt.

When you put the new ones on, spray them down with anti-seize like the previous poster said. If you're having trouble getting the old ones out, don't do like I did and twist till they break. Instead, use some sort of lubricant like PB or Liquid Wrench and excersize patience while it penetrates. The shock replacement is very simple, but little things like broken pieces will set you back a lot of time and possibly even more money than you've spent.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:07 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

RhacRick wrote:
No, they have to know the thread width so they know what size speed nut to give you. You could have the same bolt head on a number of different thread sizes. I don't remember the size from when I changed mine, or I'd give it to you.

I just re-read your post, and now I want to clarify something. You took one bolt completely out. Then you tried to get the other one out, but it wouldn't budge. So you were putting the first one back in and the speed nut broke. Correct?

So is the speed nut still attached to the bolt? Is that what you tightened with the vice grip... screwed the broken half of the speed nut back down on the bolt? If so, I guess that should hold it for now, but I'd think it'll be twice as hard to remove. Anyway, what I'd do is when you have the time to commit two or three hours to the fix, take off your wheels, get those bolts out, and have someone else drive you to the auto parts store to get a new pack of speed nuts. Take the bolts with you so they can size them for speed nuts, and buy new bolts if those aren't in good shape. I say two or three hours because you never know when a quick job will turn into a much longer one because of something simple like a broken nut or bolt.

When you put the new ones on, spray them down with anti-seize like the previous poster said. If you're having trouble getting the old ones out, don't do like I did and twist till they break. Instead, use some sort of lubricant like PB or Liquid Wrench and excersize patience while it penetrates. The shock replacement is very simple, but little things like broken pieces will set you back a lot of time and possibly even more money than you've spent.

Good luck!

What happened is, my buddy told me to loosen them both before removing them completely, and so the one wouldn't come, and then i was tightening the bolt back, because i said screw it, the bent part broke, the threaded part is fine, where it bends around the shock mount broke, the threads are fine, i'm gonna have a mechanic do them, put in new hardware and everything, an then i don't have to worry about it. As well as the oil pressure sender and the O2 sensor, because he knows what he is doing a lot better than I do.

Sirius wrote: