It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:56 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2005 SLE

2000 SSEi *SOLD*
2000 GP GT *SOLD*
:helpsmilie: I am trying to figure out what is causing my car to do what its doing. Driving the car for this first 10 minutes from a 8 hour rest the car runs perfect, then when the car is in normal operating temperature, i begin to feel every shift the car is making (especially first and second gear). Im guessing its my transmission mounts but just guessing.

If anyone has had this problem before or know whats the problem please advise me.

Thanks in advance.

Supercharged decal 3rd brake light | Mostly stock| black leather interior | One of a Kind Tails | Custom SSEi Overlay | Painted Grille | Tints 20%(back) 35%(front)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** NEW PIC's **----->: http://pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12985

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:59 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
If it was mounts you'd have other symptoms, and you'd feel it all the time, not just when the car is warmed up. I'm guessing something inside the transmission, but it's hard to diagnose without driving the car, or having a SES or anything.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:01 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

2000 SSEi *SOLD*
2000 GP GT *SOLD*
00Beast wrote:
If it was mounts you'd have other symptoms, .....

.....what other symptoms? What are other things that occur with the problem im having.

Supercharged decal 3rd brake light | Mostly stock| black leather interior | One of a Kind Tails | Custom SSEi Overlay | Painted Grille | Tints 20%(back) 35%(front)
** NEW PIC's **----->: http://pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12985

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:12 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

IIRC, it would take a long time to engage into Drive, there would be a lot of engine movement, and some other things I don't remember. If your symptoms were caused by the mount, they would occur all the time, as well. The fact that it's only happening when the transmission is engaged is telling me that it's something internal that's being affected by the warmed up fluid.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:19 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

2000 SSEi *SOLD*
2000 GP GT *SOLD*
.........acutually, i forgot to mention that, everytime the car is in Park and i change it to Reverse or Drive, the car makes a thump move, and this happens ALL the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:20 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Oh, well then it could be the mounts. But the fact that the shifting thing only happens when warmed up is leading me to think there may be something else wrong.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:22 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
if it was a mount, it wouldn't matter what temperature the car was at. you would have the same issues cold as warm.

check out this page:
http://tripleedgeperformance.com/4T65E_ ... _Info.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:22 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

2000 SSEi *SOLD*
2000 GP GT *SOLD*
yea but it really does happen all the time too, but im sayin that cuz when i first jump in the car early morning it shifts perfectly for like the first 3 times then i start to feel it. So i really dont know, but yea maybe something internal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:23 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Park the car on a level surface, shut it off and pop the hood. Make sure the trans is in park, and then push the car forward and backward while looking at your front trans mount and just generally watching the engine. It really shouldn't move that much with just that little bit of pressure. If it moves excessively you have a bad mount.

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:27 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

2000 SSEi *SOLD*
2000 GP GT *SOLD*
:bsnicker:
crash93ssei wrote:
Park the car on a level surface, shut it off and pop the hood. Make sure the trans is in park....

:laughing3: "make sure the trans is in Park"

ok yea i think thats the first diagnoses i should try since i havent really looked into it visually. One problem, I dont know where the transmission mount is 8-[

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:37 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

When you're standing in front of the bumper, look straight down in front of the engine. It should be attached to the transmission, and the frame that runs there. It looks like a big black marshmallow. That is the mount that fails most times.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:12 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Here is mine, where the red bushings are. Mine is not the original. Yours will be round and look like a black marshmallow. Standing in front of the car, right behind the radiator on the drivers side. Also, at what temperatures on the gauge do you notice it most? I noticed mine would do that when the engine temps were closer to 200 degrees on the gauge and I was stuck in traffic. I have not had an issue since changing the mount, going to a 180 degree thermostat and having my fans reprogrammed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:46 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

2000 SSEi *SOLD*
2000 GP GT *SOLD*
myfirstbonnie wrote:
Also, at what temperatures on the gauge do you notice it most? I noticed mine would do that when the engine temps were closer to 200 degrees on the gauge and I was stuck in traffic.

I notice it most when its on the 200 (operating temp). Yes when im stuck in Traffic its really bad and thats when you can really feel the shift. I think I'll do the same with the 180 tstat and im gonna change my mounts with OEM mountings.

I think these 2 things will do the trick.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:48 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

2000 SSEi *SOLD*
2000 GP GT *SOLD*
00Beast wrote:
When you're standing in front of the bumper, look straight down in front of the engine. It should be attached to the transmission, and the frame that runs there. It looks like a big black marshmallow. That is the mount that fails most times.

Okie doke' .........i will check it first thing tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:10 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: before cars
Kind of sounds like the trans pressure is being commanded to full causing hard shifts. You should check for codes, the PCM will put trans into fault mode and increase line pressure to max if it detects a problem in the trans.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:29 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SE
sounds like you're having the same problem I have. I changed my mount to the solid mount but it still shifts hard once the car is warmed up. I got my PCM scanned and found out it's blowing a "long shift code" which means the PCM is telling the car to send more fluid through the lines during the shift to make up for the Shift solenoids failing.

FWI, converted low beam bulbs into high beam bulbs, 20% tint all around, MSD wires, NDK TR55 plugs, auxiliary line in, scan gauge, custom FloPro/MagnaFlow Cat back exhaust
2002 Bonneville SE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:44 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

2000 SSEi *SOLD*
2000 GP GT *SOLD*
Night Crawler wrote:
sounds like you're having the same problem I have. I changed my mount to the solid mount but it still shifts hard once the car is warmed up. I got my PCM scanned and found out it's blowing a "long shift code" which means the PCM is telling the car to send more fluid through the lines during the shift to make up for the Shift solenoids failing.

Checked my trans mount, looks good. Yea i think i do need to get my PCM scanned. So what did you end up doing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:48 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
How did you check the mount?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:50 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

2000 SSEi *SOLD*
2000 GP GT *SOLD*
myfirstbonnie wrote:
How did you check the mount?

Parked it on a leveled surface and put it in Park. Then Pushed it front and back and listen for any kind of noise while looking at the mount itself. Everything seemed fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:51 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
I'd have someone sit in the car and shift through the gears while you look at the mount (put the e-brake on too). Have them give it some gas in drive, and see how much the motor moves.