It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Catalytic converter
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:27 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville SE
My Bonne has about 92K and I just changed plugs for what I presume is the first time.(not good). I bought it when it had 62K. Plugs call for 60 gap. My old ones were all 100 although engine ran very nicely and fuel mileage was pretty good @ 24 m/g running around and better on the highway. Here's the question: Could the plugs contribute to plugging the cat? Engine is also running hotter now than it normally did when I first got car. There are other symtoms pointing to cat. The other thing is I am also still frustrated with the 60mph shimmy. With all the car owners experiencing this I'm puzzled that GM hasn't come up with some info on this. Thanks!

Last edited by zamjohn on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Catalytic converter
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:39 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 Cadillac STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO
No. Other items like running to lean, causing excessive heat in the catalyst, or running too rich, plugging up the catalyst's ability to do it's chemical reaction, which are related to sensor inputs such as O2, MAF, etc, can. But the plugs themselves won't (or shouldn't).

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Mommy's NEW RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Daddy's beater affectionately called the Rolling Garbage Can or "RGC" for short
2009 Chevrolet Impala SS: LS4 V8, Victory Red
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:43 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
The only way it could would be if it wasn't completely burning fuel, and or creating a lot of carbon, because of the bad plugs. Did you also replace plug wires? If there's anything on this list that you haven't done, I'd get to it soon.

Brand Suggestions are in the parentheses.

1987-2005 Bonneville / Buick 3800 Maintenance List

Run Seafoam through gasoline and intake every 5,000 miles. One pint of Seafoam in a half tank of fuel is a good mix. The intake is optional, but recommended.

Grease: Ball Joints, Tie Rods Every 8-10k ( [url=http://www.greengrease.net/[Green Grease[/url]recommended)
    Air Filter Every 15k (Amsoil EaA, Purolator PureONE)
    PCV Valve Every 30k
    MAF Sensor Element Cleaning/TB Cleaning Every 50k viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1661
    Fuel Filter Every 15-25k (Purolator, AC Delco, WIX)
    Spark Plugs Every 30-50k (NGK TR55 or Autolite 605) (Never Bosch)
    Ignition Wires Every 30-50k (Napa Belden, AC Delco, Autolite Pro, NGK) (Never Taylor or Bosch)
    Oil & Filter Every 5-6k or Every 6 months (Mobil1 or Amsoil)(Mobil1, Purolator PureONE, Amsoil EaO or WIX) (Never Fram) viewtopic.php?f=45&t=214
    *Conventional Oil Every 3k/3 months(Pennzoil with a WIX (Napa), Delco or Purolator filter)
    Transmission Flush Every 15-20k (Always make sure filter is changed when flushed)
    Cooling System Flush Every 25-50k or Annually (Peak or Prestone Green Coolant Only) (Never Dexcool)
    Oxygen Sensor Every 80-100k (30k for non-heated) (AC Delco or Denso) (Absolutely never Bosch) viewtopic.php?f=48&t=794
    Accessory Belt Inspect every 15k, replace every 100k, or as needed
    Cabin Air Filter Inspect and Replace every 15k, or as needed in dusty conditions. (Note: 00+ Only)
    Evap Core Cleaning Whenever Needed (Note: 99 and older only) viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2432

*Special Considerations*
    All 3800s, LG3, LN3, L27, L36, L26, L67 & L32, especially important on vehicles factory installed with orange Havoline Dexcool Antifreeze/Coolant: http://www.dex-cool.net/
    Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement, every 80-100k (ignorance of this can allow coolant to enter your engine oil, this happening can cause irreversible lower engine damage, requiring replacement of subject engine)

Series II, Naturally Aspirated, RPO:L36:
    Upper Intake Manifold Plenum Replacement, Every 80-100k (ignorance of this can allow coolant to enter your intake manifold, possible damage to occur can be hydrolock, irreversible damage to emissions devices, misfires, etc. Most times, engine replacement is required if ignored long enough.) viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1061

Series I, II, III RPO Code L67 & L32:
    Change Supercharger Oil; Every 30-50k. (Intense Racing or GM Dealer) viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1690
    Supercharger Belt (Series II and III only); Inspect Every 15k, Replace Every 100k or as needed.

Rev. 6/7/09 By 00Beast

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:55 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville SE
Had cat. checked today and turned out it was plugged. Replaced it with after market one and now runs smooth and quiet with a good amount of get up and go. Wonder whether this might improve fuel mileage a little more. Taking it on a trip from Manitoba to British Columbia this weekend and will find out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:41 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 Cadillac STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO
Oh, most definetely... :)

Not just because you're running without a plugged up cat either. The PCM will be able to do it's job correctly monitoring STFT's and LTFT's without over compensating in accordance with other sensor and PCM inputs as it did with the cat plugged.

The only question I have is, what caused your original Catalytic Converter to be plugged? Was it something the PCM is/was doing? Or was it just a defective, wore out cat? If it's the first one, and you haven't corrected what the PCM is doing incorrectly, you've only put a quick band aid fix on the situation and if it keeps running the way it is/was, this new cat will end up the same way. If it was truly a wore/defective cat, no further worries.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Mommy's NEW RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Daddy's beater affectionately called the Rolling Garbage Can or "RGC" for short
2009 Chevrolet Impala SS: LS4 V8, Victory Red
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck