It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:43 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Lesabre Limited
Hey guys:

I'm still working through some minor issues with my recently acquired 1993 LeSabre Limited and I'm on to another one now:

The headlights don't seem to want to go off after being in operation for a few minutes.This car has the switches on the door panel with separate headlight and park light switches.

After having them on for a little while in the driveway last night, I turned the headlight switch off and although the parking lights extinguished, the headlights did not. I tried several times to get them to go off and no luck so I finally disconnected the battery.

This evening i went back to it and when I reconnected the battery, the headlights alone were still on.Pushed the headlight switch and the parklights also came on. Pushed again and everything went out. Repeated several times.

Left the lights on for about 5 minutes and they would not go off again at all. I know a lot of Buicks have a delay that keeps the headlights on for a while after turning them off, so I left it sit another 5 minutes and they never went off.

Each time I push the headlight switch I hear a relay click under the dash on the left.

I've had switches burn out but usually it caused the lights not to go on when it got bad enough.

Anyone have an idea? Could it be tied into the clicking relay?

Thanks...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:57 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 Volvo S60
Check the relay, might be stuck. My father reported a problem similar to this with our 1993 LeSabre back in the day and it was a stuck relay.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:43 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
Agreed, likely a stuck relay. The clicking relay you hear is likely the park lights relay. The delay you refer to would be controlled by the twilight sentinal, which would be controlled by the slider switch under the interior lights slider <mine dont have it :( > but would also control the park lights too. only other thing i can think of is a short in the door where power is getting to the switched feed for the headlights only. Go for the relay first, and if that is not it, I would start pulling fuses for the power seats and power mirrors to see if they go out then.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place