It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:27 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1996SSEI
Can anyone tell me what the normal running temp is for 1996SSEI.Mine gets to 220 or so,then sometimes drops back somewhat.Just got a rebuilt engine in my baby,and before I got the new engine,when temp went to 220 or a little more,check gauges light come on,and bell sounded. I smelled antifreeze.Just got car back last week and am still paranoid,and still waiting for that check gauges bell to come on again.I never wanna hear that sound EVER AGAIN!!!I guess I just want to know if that temp is normal?????? Thanks in advance,Lisa

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:42 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1999 SSEi
1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
your car stock has a 195 degree thermistat. Your guage in the dash is not acurate, the only way to tell for sure is to have a scanner on the car and monitor the coolent temps. If you are getting "wild" swings in coolent temp you more than likely have an air bubble in the coolent. It could even be a "lazy" thermistat. Have whoever did the engine to run it with a scanner to tell for sure.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:15 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
Supercharged engines typically run hotter than NA ones, but there are things you can do to help keep its cool.

Like was said already, you may have a few bubbles in the coolant system. The easiest way to bleed them out is to go buy a radiator cap with the lever on it (to release pressure before opening the cap), and install it. After a good drive, open up the hood, and pull on that lever to "burp" it. Do this several times as you won't get all the bubbles out the first time.

Another thing you can do is to bypass the transmission cooler inside the radiator completely and go with a larger aftermarket external cooler. This will not only help the transmission run cooler, but will help it last longer as well.

The cheapest thing to do, however, is to do a mod known as a fan override. This mod allows you to turn the fans on when YOU want them to, instead of when the PCM THINKS they should be on. I think it can be done in such a way as to not set off a code...someone else could chime in on that. But in any event, change out that thermostat to a 180*.

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:55 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1990 Bonneville LE
Hi Lisa,

A one-time burp of air in the coolant circuit can lead to an over-heat like you just saw (actually, the car really didn't overheat, the air/steam bubble just went past the temp sensor on the intake manifold and the car saw a spike in temp.)

So long as the coolant levels hold stead and the car doesn't repeatedly over-heat, then it's fine. Periodicaly check the level in the radiator when the car is cold, along with the overflow jug. Radiator should be full all the way to the cap, jug filled to the line on the side. It should remain that way for months. If it does, you are not loosing coolant somewhere.

The 195 thermostat sets the minimum operating temp..it's the temp the valve opens at to allow coolant to flow to the radiator. It's not really the actual operating temp the motor will run at, especially now that summer is here and the AC gets more use.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:17 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: '94 Bonneville SE
'93 Bonneville SSEi
My 93 SSEi would show a little over 200 on the factory gauge. I replaced the stock thermostat with a 180. Now the gauge reads below 200 consistently.

As for manual fan control, yes you can tie into the fan relay and turn the fans on when you want. I think you have to tie into the high speed relay. I think I heard somewhere on the forum that if you tie into the low speed, you may throw a code. I only tied into the high speed.

2005 Mustang GT
Impala Webpage http://www.trainweb.org/indcentral/Car%20Page2.htm

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:15 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1996SSEI
Thanks for all the info,I really appriciate it!