It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:19 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1996 SE
3 somewhat unrelated issues with a 96 SE. 102,500 miles..have been having a problem with rough idle. Last week it threw a P0303 misfire on 3 cylinder.,,I adjusted the plug wire on the plug and it seemd to smooth out, later in the week more rough running...but no code thrown. Went to check the #3 today... when I tried to remove the number 3 spark plug wire from the plug, the wire and boot pulled loose from the metal terminal. I stripped back a 1/2 inch of the insulator bent the inner wire over the insulator and re-crimped the terminal back into the wire...it seems to run very smooth now..is it possible that this is a good fix? or should I be looking for a set of new wires? Or just the one the failed?

I have been having a random problem with P0171 Lean fuel...I tested it with a vac guage today at the port for the transmission vac line and I had 18 inches rock solid no flucuation at all (at idle) when accelerated it would drop way down then come back up to 18..seems normal? I tested the fuel pressure at the fuel regulator 42 psi at idle..50 psi key on engine off. Disconnect the vac line to the pressure regulator and the pressure would go up close to 50 that seems normal too. I'm assuming that the fuel pump isn't the issue.
I guess I'll need to try to run down other problem areas like with EGR tubing and grounds..
I have cleaned the battery cables at the battery and the alternator...I have not followed the one that goes down onto the engine block and cleaned it...guess i should?

My traction control light on the dash seems to come on randomly. It will frequently be on when the car is 1st started...drive a block or 2 and it goes out..sometimes it might stay on for 1/2 mile then it just goes off by itself. Seems like it's having trouble getting into synch or something. Is there a sensor or connector of the 4 wheels that is most likely to be a problem, or should I just check the wiring and clean all the connectors to all of them?

all advice & comments welcome

Spit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:46 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 00 Regal
P0171 is a no fun code. When you cleaned at the battery end of the cables did you remove the boots and look at the cable itself for corrosion going down under the sheathing of the cable? After cleaning both ends and noting corrosion going down into the cable, my issue was resolved only after I changed all the battery cables.