It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:34 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: Black 2001 Bonneville SSEi
On my 94 se bonney the driver side heater vents (out of the dash board/not the defroster or lower vent) blow cold air with the fan on for any setting. The defroster on the driver side works. The temperature knob is set to full heat. It all works in every setting unless you want heat out of the upper dash board or Lower (foot) vents, on the driver side. Also it is not a/c air coming from the driver dash. The air coming out of the driver vents is ambient temperature. But the A/C works for all of IT's settings.

I couldn't find anything about it in the Chilton manual (just the heater core and blower motor) I figure it's a loose or disconnected actuator linkage. Or a vacuum hose leaking or disconnected. But, I don't really know anything about it. Does anyone have knowledge of how it works or what might be wrong?

After I typed this I remember not being sure what was coming from the lower vent. It may be blowing hot air or not.

ImageImage
Burnt Bonny.

Note if you pull the injectors to obserbe fuel delivery...make sure you leave the plugs in and disconnect the ign. Believe me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

You could pretty much disregard that post, if you could.

Problem:
Lower volume and less hot or A/C'd air. (i.e., small amount of air and heated or cooled less) ON DRIVER'S SIDE ONLY. Passenger gets red hot and A/C's to very cold with large volume flow.

I was up under the dash today for 3 hrs. There's no use to anyone with a 1994 SE to pull the glove box for access to HVAC controls; there is none.

The control knob panel is different than all the pix I saw of other H body cars' of the same year range (94-95). The vent selector knob (the knob that selects which air vents the air comes from) only had colored vac lines connected it to it with a large rubberish fitting. I cleaned those and greased the rubberish part to prevent drying and cracking. One of them was violet and traced to the firewall and out to the HVAC system vacuum box along with the vacuum take off hose from the vacuum check valve tee. I assume that must be a vacuum feed to the actuators via the control knob. I could see three actuators from under the dash, all of the other vac lines (blue, white, orange, green). I had Linda switch through the settings as I wytched the acutators and the linkages move. I couldn't grasp why some moved when they did. But they all moved. I cleaned the vac line to hose fittings and greased them with more silicone grease. The orange line went to the highest up actuator that I think is for the defroster vents. The closest one to me under the dash had white and green lines going to it. The blue line was in a different plane and also seemed to work. Sometimes the movement of the linkage was very slow and stopped short. If set to another setting it sometimes moved a little further.

Rattling things around in there blindly brought up the drivers side, but that change quickly returned to it's previous pattern.

I would love to fix this just for spite. It's problems like this that makes owning and old car a joke to people who trade in their car every three years irregardless.

ImageImage
Burnt Bonny.

Note if you pull the injectors to obserbe fuel delivery...make sure you leave the plugs in and disconnect the ign. Believe me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:51 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Bumping post due to time since last post.

I could use some advice on the above problem. Basically I get less air flow and cooler air temp on the driver side on heat setting and less air flow and warmer air on the driver side vents while set to A/C.

I checked out the actuators on the driver side (I can't remember if there was a passenger side mounted actuator) of the the air box and they work but I am not sure if the travel is complete or not by just observation. I've been pretty stumped. I found a thread from the ool site with Bill Buttermore and BillBoost. The author of the thread had almost exactly the same problem and he found the answer.
http://www.bonnevilleforum.com/t225967/

Apparently the foam sealing on his 91 Park Ave with dual zone AC that seals around the heater core box mating surfaces had deteriorated and failed letting cold air pass through the air mix door on one side. This would allow temperatures to differ side to side and as far as this fix not explaining lack of flow it is suggested it may be due to the location of the seal failure being in just the spot to separate in the duct and flow more to the passenger side.

May not be my problem with my 94 SE, but it would make sense even on my car with a slightly different HVAC arrangement. I'd like to fix this before worse weather sets in. Anybody got any better ideas? Is it worth the 4 hours? :-$

Thanks Kris

ImageImage
Burnt Bonny.