It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:57 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 SSEI
Hi, I want to replace the front struts on '95 SSEI. All the struts I find say they are not compatible with electric/air ride suspension option.
Mine currently isn't working, but I'd like to get the same as stock. I don't care which brand, as long as it works....

If anyone can help me out, providing part numbers, more info, that would be great! I read the other posts I found, but the part numbers provided always lead me to item descriptions stating it's not compatible...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:23 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 99 SSEi
01 SLE
02 GTP40th
02 SSEi
06 GP GT
Ebay my friend -when I checked late last week there was a pair of Original Delco NEW CCR struts -can't remember if they were front or rear, but unless all 4 are matching CCR struts you won't be able to get your Computer Command Ride (CCR) to work again.
Be prepared to shell out the $$$ for these -the seller refused an offer of $450 for the pair he has, which is still half the price of new from the dealer when they had them.

Monroe used to have a Reflex model that was compatible with the CCR if I remember correctly, but it has been discontinued for a couple years and no-one has been able to find any left overs for well over 1-2 years.
You're going to have to settle for some standard F41 or FE3 air struts that will allow you to retain the ELC in the rear.

2000 Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 4x4/6.0L/4L80E
2000 Trans Am WS6 LQ3 (LQ4 w/LS3 top end) 4L60E
2001 SLE
2002 Monte Carlo SS Top-swapped FSIC Gen V TOG's, Mezeire.....
2002 GTP 40th Anniv Ed Coupe
2004 GTP Comp G 'Bottom-swapped'

Last edited by olblueeyesbonne on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:25 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
CCR really doesn't do much if that's what youre referring to. Most can't even tell a noticeable difference. If it's ELC youre talking about, the front struts don't matter do they?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:28 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Will there be any problems if I just opt to put regular struts on? It sounds like getting the electronic air ride back in order is going to be a real pain. We tried using the compressor in the trunk, you can hear it click, but nothing happens. We haven't really dabbled in trying to figure out the problem.

We've also left the car idling and sat on the rear bumper to see if the automatic level control works, and that does not as well. I've only driven the car home from a dealer (110 miles / 180km or so) and the car was really bouncy/floaty.

Springs are all intact, no squeeking or anything... Front seems to take a while to recover from being bounced. Can this be caused by the electronics being out of whack? Or am I on the right track?

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:45 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 99 SSEi
01 SLE
02 GTP40th
02 SSEi
06 GP GT
Sounds like you have a bad Level sensor (I have one for you) or a bad compressor (sorry -put a wanted post in the 'Wanted' section).

Your strut's may also be bad.

BTW -do you have the PERF RIDE and TOURING RIDE buttons behind the traction control button on the console? If not you don't have the Computer Command Ride -which is the Electronic suspension -you have the FE3 (IIRC -that's the code -I haven't paid suspension RPO's much attention for awhile) suspenion with ELC (Electronic Level Control). You should be able to get struts from a LOT of different sources for your car if this is the suspension you have.
But from what you describe you may need struts and ELC work.
Also, you might check the fuse for the ELC but from what you say is it clicks so you probably don't have a blown fuse.

2000 Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 4x4/6.0L/4L80E
2000 Trans Am WS6 LQ3 (LQ4 w/LS3 top end) 4L60E
2001 SLE
2002 Monte Carlo SS Top-swapped FSIC Gen V TOG's, Mezeire.....
2002 GTP 40th Anniv Ed Coupe
2004 GTP Comp G 'Bottom-swapped'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:58 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

I have the buttons on the console, both are lit up and do not turn off. The performance shift/regular shift work, as well as traction control.

So, the level sensor could be it, like you said. I was debating on placing an order with Ed Morad for a bunch of pieces. The compressor and air ride sensor were on the list.

How much were you selling the item for anyways?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:18 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Regular (non-CCR) struts up front will be fine. Monroe Sensatrac are highly reccommended.

As far as your ELC is concerned, I wouldn't jump to conclusions without proper troubleshooting. There are 2 fuses, a relay, and several other small components and parts that could be the issue. I've only rarely seen a level sensor be the issue.

If you choose to replace the rear struts, you need to KEEP the level control (these are gas struts with air assist built in, not JUST air), but lose the CCR.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:30 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1994 SSEi
White w/ grey int
Stock
71822 sensatrac for the front, 71798 sensatrac for the rear, if I'm remembering correctly. Don't be pushed towards the 'quickstrut' assembly that is offered. That comes with the spring, strut, etc all in one, but if you have a parts/shop guy that isn't familiar with these cars specifically, he won't know that the spring with the quickstrut is NOT the same as your SSEi has. But he will know that the quickstrut is probably easier/quicker for his tech to install.

The rear struts mentioned above do have the air attachment, which should/will allow your ELC to work, if the rest of the system is functional. There is not an aftermarket strut that will retain the CCR, but as stated, if you found & could afford the OE struts, then that would allow the CCR, for what it's worth. The front struts are not connected to the ELC in any way.

Have you confirmed that the compressor is done? Since it's way up under the hood, you don't hear much when you're at the trunk and push the on button. If you have the inflator hose connected, you can verify if the compressor is actually pumping air. It is NOT very high-pressure, it comes out ratehr slow compared to a compressor in your shop or at the service station.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:34 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

OK, so we've checked both fuses, I believe it was a 60 under the hood, and a 10 under the dash, both are good.

Clicking occurs when pressing the button in the trunk... Nothing up front. Buddy took the plug out (4 pin I think), tried 12v on each pin to see if anything happened.. We get the same clicking as in the trunk area.

So, now we're not sure which is which. We need a repair manual, or a proper troubleshooting technique before I go and order/find a 2nd hand pump. Anyone have any other ideas?

We were able to fix the HUD this evening, which is a bonus....