It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:15 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 se bonneville
So my abs light came on to days ago. So I clean the sensor and the ground wire to it and the abs light went off and came back on... so the cleaning didn't help it.
I also noticed when I use my reverse gear or my brakes for the matter the battery voltage drops ..... is this a familiar problem withe the bonnies..... anyone??

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:49 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
Your ABS module is probably bad. That happened on my old 93 SSE and I just drove it like that. If that's the case, your brakes still work fine, you just won't have antilock brakes - you'll have to pump them on ice or snow.

Your brakes aren't draining your battery. Your voltage source is weak (bad battery, bad alternator, bad cable...something) so when you light up the brake lights or reverse lights it takes a toll on your source. Are there any aftermarket accessories on your car? Remote starter, alarm system, sound system, etc.? If so, I'd start there.

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:50 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1993 SSEi
Sirius wrote:
Your brakes aren't draining your battery. Your voltage source is weak (bad battery, bad alternator, bad cable...something) so when you light up the brake lights or reverse lights it takes a toll on your source. Are there any aftermarket accessories on your car? Remote starter, alarm system, sound system, etc.? If so, I'd start there.

I'll second that. Given the history of problems with your car that you have provided in several other posts here, I think your chief problem right now is that your car is running undervoltage because the alternator is not properly charging the battery and maintaining system voltage while you're driving. The electronics in your car can go a little bonkers if they're not getting a full 12-14 volts. The fact that your voltmeter shows a noticeable drop when your brake lights or backup lights go on means that the electrical system is not holding up its end.

If I remember right, your alternator bench-tested as good when out of the car, and I think your battery did also...? The next step would be to test whether the battery is getting charging amperage while the car is running. My guess is that it is not, and that the car is actually running on the battery until it dies, after which someone jump-starts it, the battery recovers quickly during the jump-start (because it's actually a good battery), and the whole process repeats.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
My abs light came on lots of years ago. The dealer told me it needed a wheel bearing (that has the sensor built in) and an abs module. I just ignored it for a long time and didn't have abs. I replaced that wheel bearing while doing other stuff several years ago, and lo & behold the light went away and the abs has worked fine ever since. Not sure what kind of scanner is needed for ABS on a 98, but it might be worth getting that done. Auto parts places might even be able to scan it for free.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:59 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

acg_93_ssei wrote:
Sirius wrote:

I'll second that. Given the history of problems with your car that you have provided in several other posts here, I think your chief problem right now is that your car is running undervoltage because the alternator is not properly charging the battery and maintaining system voltage while you're driving. The electronics in your car can go a little bonkers if they're not getting a full 12-14 volts. The fact that your voltmeter shows a noticeable drop when your brake lights or backup lights go on means that the electrical system is not holding up its end.

If I remember right, your alternator bench-tested as good when out of the car, and I think your battery did also...? The next step would be to test whether the battery is getting charging amperage while the car is running. My guess is that it is not, and that the car is actually running on the battery until it dies, after which someone jump-starts it, the battery recovers quickly during the jump-start (because it's actually a good battery), and the whole process repeats.

:btruestory: ur right
My red wire was cut in half on the harness to the alternator.
So I attempted to repin it from alternator to the pcu ....but the harnesses to the pcm have a bolt and washer connection
So I left it alone and spliced the alternator wire to find out.... my red wire to my alternator in corroded throughout the installation... so i clean about inch and connected at splice as planted..not sure how far the corrosion is but I'm jus gonna replace the engine harness for the 2nd time, I'm hoping it works. Gages haves been reading good and battery hold but it still jumps a bit when braking or when alternator does its charge cycles. :sucks:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:00 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

J Wikoff wrote:
My abs light came on lots of years ago. The dealer told me it needed a wheel bearing (that has the sensor built in) and an abs module. I just ignored it for a long time and didn't have abs. I replaced that wheel bearing while doing other stuff several years ago, and lo & behold the light went away and the abs has worked fine ever since. Not sure what kind of scanner is needed for ABS on a 98, but it might be worth getting that done. Auto parts places might even be able to scan it for free.

I got thr abs light off. :banana:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:02 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Sirius wrote:
Your ABS module is probably bad. That happened on my old 93 SSE and I just drove it like that. If that's the case, your brakes still work fine, you just won't have antilock brakes - you'll have to pump them on ice or snow.

Bad alternator connection.. ur rt
The red wire was bad