It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I broke the fuel sender?
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:49 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 bonneville ssei
Picked up a garage find 1997 SSEi for a song - it sat indoors for 6+ years.

Replaced battery, oil, and fuel filter and with a couple of gallons of fuel she started up on the second try and now runs just fine.

Got a bunch to do to get her base-lined (tires, belts, general tune-up, LIM gasket - yes it's leaking), but with 130K on the clock, she's got a lot of life left. I'm an avid hobby wrench, so I'm planning to do the mechanical stuff myself, actually got the parts and planning the LIM gasket & belts for next weekend, probably plugs & wires, too since I think I need to undo the motor mount to get the belts on anyway.

So here's my extra issue:

Before I changed out the fuel filter and started her for the first time, I stuck a tube down the fuel pipe to pump out any 6-year-old gas. Not surprisingly, there was none in the tank.

But...
1.) The fuel gauge is pegged at full when I turn to ON/RUN
2.) I can't fill the tank at normal speed - it fills up the fill neck quickly, then drains down and I can add some more. Took me about 5 minutes to add a couple of gallons.

My original theory was that I flipped the float to the top of its range when being ham-handed with the pump tube in the tank. I thought, "Well, fill it up, the float will probably come back into position once there's enough fuel in the tank."

But now that there's something seemingly partially obstructing the fill pipe, I'm wondering if I could have possibly flipped the float into the path of the fill pipe opening?

So am I making any sense? Anyone experienced similar? I'm really puzzled by the slow filling.

Any ideas short of dropping the tank and pulling the pump assembly to take a look? I know it's not that hard, just a pain. Extra painful since I think I caused it myself. #-o

Lastly, if I drop the tank, find it's like I thought, flip the float back into position, and the pump has no other known issues, do I still need any parts for re-assembly like a sealing ring or some other?

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:43 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
no, no parts needed - you inspect it and before you mount the tank,turn the key to on,run and move the float by hand while seeing the gauge move.

disconnect the line at the filter and use the fuel pump to drain into a container.

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
The pump and float are on the opposite side of the tank from the fill, so I don't think you could manage to flip the float like you said, if it can even be done at all. I think it's more likely you have a wiring issue in the pump harness and a clogged fill vent tube.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:17 pm 
LE Member

96 SSEi wrote:
no, no parts needed - you inspect it and before you mount the tank,turn the key to on,run and move the float by hand while seeing the gauge move.

disconnect the line at the filter and use the fuel pump to drain into a container.

OK cool, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:42 pm 
LE Member

J Wikoff wrote:
The pump and float are on the opposite side of the tank from the fill, so I don't think you could manage to flip the float like you said, if it can even be done at all. I think it's more likely you have a wiring issue in the pump harness and a clogged fill vent tube.

Ah! Is there a trick to the fill vent tube?

As an aside, I'd normally check my FSM before asking a vague question like that, but I'm new to this car and the manual's organized different than the Toyota Land Cruiser I've worked on the most or my wife's Honda. Heck, I was using Book 1 only for a while before I realized most of what I needed was in Engine Controls section 6E... which is in book 2. :???: Anyway, I need to peruse all of 6E so I can get a handle on what all's in there, but if you have a shortcut to the potential vent clogs it's appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
I haven't had an issue with the vent, so I don't have much to offer about it.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights