It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:56 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1994 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
Hello everyone, I'm relatively new here so I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing this right. Anyways, my uncle just gave me his 1994 SSEi for my first car and it is in relatively good shape. I had it running the other day and noticed that the temperature was slowly rising past normal (keep in mind it was only idling after being jump-started because of a dead battery). I texted my uncle to see if this was normal and he said it was probably fine. Five minutes later, the car has gone from just below 220* F to 240*F and the radiator fans have not kicked on at all. Worried about overheating the motor, I shut the car down. This was within a timespan of 10-15 minutes of idling, mind you.
Like I said earlier, this is my first car and I do not really know my way around it yet. I also should probably state that I do not have my license so it is currently sitting at my grandmother's house until I get said-license in the next month or so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:59 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
Is the service engine soon light on?

If not, does it come on when the ignition is on, but go out oce started?

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Just a quick reply of how I would start diagnosing this.

Turn on the AC and check to see if the fans are on. They should be commanded on no matter what the engine temp is.
Check the fuses and relays in the Maxi fuse relay center.
Try applying 12v directly to the fan to verify they work.
If you don't get anywhere from this, you'll need to find a wiring schematic to dig into it further. I don't have access to schematics that old or I'd love to help you out.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:26 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

RJolly87 wrote:
Is the service engine soon light on?

If not, does it come on when the ignition is on, but go out oce started?

The CEL is on when the key is turned to Accessory but it goes away after you start the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:36 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

harofreak00 wrote:
Just a quick reply of how I would start diagnosing this.

Turn on the AC and check to see if the fans are on. They should be commanded on no matter what the engine temp is.
Check the fuses and relays in the Maxi fuse relay center.
Try applying 12v directly to the fan to verify they work.
If you don't get anywhere from this, you'll need to find a wiring schematic to dig into it further. I don't have access to schematics that old or I'd love to help you out.

I'm heading over to my grandmother's house again this afternoon so I'll have to try blasting the A/C haha. I do know that the car had a ton of things done within the last couple of months by my uncle's mechanic so I'm not entirely sure how this was missed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:48 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Just got to her house. I started the car, turned on the A/C... nothing. Fans did not turn on when the A/C was turned on. I also checked the fuse for the cooling fans and they didn’t appear to be blown. I haven’t figured out how to supply the fans with 12v yet. Maybe the fans bit the dust Then again, why would both fans die at the same time?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Find the fan and other relays on the firewall under the maxifuse relay center cover. Switch them around (they are all the same) and see if what works/doesn't work changes. Then you'll know you have a bad relay.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:45 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

J Wikoff wrote:
Find the fan and other relays on the firewall under the maxifuse relay center cover. Switch them around (they are all the same) and see if what works/doesn't work changes. Then you'll know you have a bad relay.

I’ll have to try that when I go over to my grandmothers tomorrow. I really hope it’s just a relay haha.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:40 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
hereis your manual.............https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmownerce ... owners.pdf

check on firewall, pass side for maxifuse relays/fuses

if you look at the fans, you see 2 wires soldered to the fan motor - run a wire from battery to either wire - you get the wrong one and the fans will spin backwards.

talk to the guy who worked on it and get further info to help you narrow down issue

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:14 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

96 SSEi wrote:
hereis your manual.............https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmownerce ... owners.pdf

check on firewall, pass side for maxifuse relays/fuses

if you look at the fans, you see 2 wires soldered to the fan motor - run a wire from battery to either wire - you get the wrong one and the fans will spin backwards.

talk to the guy who worked on it and get further info to help you narrow down issue

Alright, good to know. I'll have to try that once it stops pouring outside. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:26 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Sorry for not ever getting back to you guys with what ended up happening. I went over there last Sat. and tried removing a couple relays with no such luck. I ended up running out of time to screw around because I had to go to work haha. Anyways, I have no clue when the next time I'll be over there will be, but I guess I'll have to try harder to get those relays out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:48 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

By the way, I fixed it! The Cooling Fan relay bit the dust! Now, I've got more, major issues to take care of that you can find in the other thread that I've got going.