It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 94 SSEi Coolant Leak
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:25 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
A friend of mine has a coolant leak. A mechanic he took it to told him it's a coolant crossover tube. He was also told that GM no longer has these available, nor are they (supposedly) available aftermarket. I haven't checked for parts from other sources yet, but when I searched the forum, I didn't get the impression this is overly common. I'm quite unfamiliar with this engine, or vintage so I'm hoping for some help.

Thoughts?

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Post subject: Re: 94 SSEi Coolant Leak
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Coolant crossover tube?

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:23 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

That's what the tech called it, but from what I can see in diagrams, it seems to be the coolant inlet and outlet tubes (rigid, right near the water pump).

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Oh, for the heater core? Those don't seem to be very problematic. Or I think there's one that comes out the top of the front cover. Rockauto might have it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/pon ... +hose,2155

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/pon ... +pipe,6892

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Now that I think about it, the short one that came out the top of the front cover did leak at one point. I grabbed one off my parts car.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:47 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

These ones I'm told are rigid tubes with 'O' rings. I'm going to try and get some pics. My friend just isn't that close.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:24 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The pipes in question were definitely the coolant inlet and outlet pipes for the heater core. One of the techs felt these were probably the problem because for many years he worked for GM and says they used to replace them all the time due to corrosion. Another tech, who primarily works on German cars, originally referred to this pipe as the crossover pipe. I think it was just his unfamiliarity with these cars.

Today, inspection camera in hand, I visited my friend. The leak is most definitely the water pump. Took the serpentine belt and water pump pulley off, pressured the system with my pressure tester and started to look around (tried looking around all the other areas first but couldn't locate it). With pressure in the system, there was a steady stream of coolant coming from the snout of the water pump and running down the housing to the lower weep hole. I originally thought it was coming from the weep hole, but after the system was depressurized and the entire area dried, it was pressurized again and there was no moisture around the weep hole until it ran down the outer pump housing.

Anyway, seems the mystery is solved.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:50 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The water pump and lower intake manifold gaskets (which had never been done before) have all been replaced. The car is running great and there are no leaks. I'm told that the coolant pipes were in pristine condition. This seems to make sense since it doesn't appear to be a common problem among members here. I'm not sure what issue this technician was referring to, needing to replace them on a regular basis, but I suspect it's something else entirely.