It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voltage light on
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:43 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 96 Bonneville SSEi
So I'm not a big electrical guy. But after installing my zzp stage 1 kit and zzp ignition modules and 10.5 mm wires, my voltage light is now on. Battery was disconnected while all the work was done and the pcm was also changed. No noticeable issues of anything wrong, just the light on the dash. :dontknow:

'96 Bonneville SSEi - White on Teal - ZZP Stage 1 Kit, 3.6" Modular pulley, ZZP ported TB w/spacer, L3 short ram intake w/K&N filter, ZZP Power Log, ZZP DP w/high flow cat & 97+ manifold, ZZP SC coupler, ZZP HV ignition coils w/10.5mm plug wires, 16" Gold crosslaces w/Yokohama Avid tires, Olds LSS T-handle, Sony HU.

2000 Buick LeSabre Custom - Daily - Sony double DIN headunit, ZZP plug wires, ZZP TB spacer, L3 short ram intake - Dark Bronzemist Metallic on taupe

Post subject: Re: Voltage light on
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
pl. check the battery cables for proper connection.
if good, get a multimeter and see how much the alt. is producing.
also, probe both + and - terminals of battery - you should not have a circuit - infinite resistance.

also, if I remember my 96 correctly, there is an accessory wire with an eye that bolts to the + terminal
please be sure thats clean and good contact

compare volts from both terminals, the 8 mm bolt, and also at the eye of access. cable - they should be identical
thats how I could tell I had good contact

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

Last edited by 96 SSEi on Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:04 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I'll bet it's the battery connection. Was pretty sure it was good. It I will double check, I know they are finicky. It's also a new battery and I had the alternator removed but not unplugged. Will fiddle around and report back with results.

'96 Bonneville SSEi - White on Teal - ZZP Stage 1 Kit, 3.6" Modular pulley, ZZP ported TB w/spacer, L3 short ram intake w/K&N filter, ZZP Power Log, ZZP DP w/high flow cat & 97+ manifold, ZZP SC coupler, ZZP HV ignition coils w/10.5mm plug wires, 16" Gold crosslaces w/Yokohama Avid tires, Olds LSS T-handle, Sony HU.

2000 Buick LeSabre Custom - Daily - Sony double DIN headunit, ZZP plug wires, ZZP TB spacer, L3 short ram intake - Dark Bronzemist Metallic on taupe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:16 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
You can always run to an AutoZone or Advance or similar store and have your electrical system tested for free. Might just be case of bad luck and timing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:15 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I reconnected the battery and the light still came back on. I drove to the car wash and left the car running and by the time I had finished washing the car, the check engine light came on and the abs and traction control lights came on and the turn signals didn't work and then the gauges started going haywire. I managed to limp the car home and when I turned it off I had to boost it to get it started again. With a 2 month old battery, I'm pointing my finger st the original alternator, but I find that really strange why all of a sudden it would go now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:49 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

buddy, use a multimeter and you will see if its the alt. or battery

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I had a 96 Camaro Z28 a couple years ago and the guy I bought it from said it had sat for a while and the battery needed replacing. When I test drove the car, we had to boost it and after a few minutes of driving the Volt, CEL and ABS lights came on. I bought the car and started driving home and after about 20-30 mins things started going haywire, like the radio not working, turn signals not working, lights dimming and then the gauges not working and then the car just stalled and died in the middle of the road. Had to keep boosting it to keep going every 20 minutes or so on a 2 hour drive home at night. Popped a new alternator in it the next day and all problems solved. The battery was fine.

The Bonny is doing the exact same things. If it was a bad battery, the car would run fine off the alt. Either way, I'll get a multimeter today and test it and see what's up. I can always swap out the alt from my beater Bonneville too. If that one works fine, then I can just pop in a $40 junkyard alt to replace it without having to buy a new or reman one. I'm not cheap....I'm thrifty!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:35 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Yep so 11.7 volts with the key off and 11.7 with the car running.

My green car showed 12.4 with the key off and 14.8 running, so I am swapping alternators.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:59 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

So I'm the biggest idiot in the world....but atleast I bought a voltmeter out of the ordeal lol. Turns out when I reinstalled the alternator, i forgot to plug in the wire harness on the bottom of the alternator. I didn't even think of it because you can't see it when the alternator is installed and I totally forgot about it. Idiot!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:38 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
No. You're just human.
Thanks for reporting back !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:49 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

LOL

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Detailpro116 wrote:
So I'm the biggest idiot in the world....but atleast I bought a voltmeter out of the ordeal lol. Turns out when I reinstalled the alternator, i forgot to plug in the wire harness on the bottom of the alternator. I didn't even think of it because you can't see it when the alternator is installed and I totally forgot about it. Idiot!!

I've done and do things like that more than I care to remember. - BC