It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:43 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 Pontiac Bonneville SE
Hello, I need market information. Specifically, the number of EXISTING GM Cars that have Rotted Subframe Bushing Holes, and whose owners would like a Low-Cost Solution.

Background:

I replaced my 97 Pontiac Bonneville SLE's subframe that had rotted #2 and #3 subframe bushings and subframe holes. I went through the pain of doing this in order to pass all necessary safety inspections in my state,

I'd like to determine whether it would make sense for me to develop a solution to help the typical DIY mechanic (like myself), who has the same problem but wants a solution but doesn't want to replace their subframe.

It seems that it would cost a typical non-DIY owner about $1000 to replace a rotted subframe and 4 bushings (#2 & #3) because the cost of a good used subframe is $300, 4 bushing kits is $200, and professional labor is about $500). Also, rotted subframes & bushings are a safety problem caused by faulty GM designs, and therefore replacement should be performed at no cost by having GM RECALL all cars having this problem. However, this is not the case, so it's now up to typical owners to pay the full cost of repair, or DIY mechanics to find a low-cost solution to their problem.

I have an idea for such a solution that I may be willing to develop, depending on its demand, which could cost a DIY mechanic only about $500 to only replace 4 bushings (#2 & #3), add a few more parts easily, and NOT NEED TO REPLACE OR EVEN REMOVE THE ENTIRE ROTTED SUBFRAME! My solution would fix this problem enough to pass a state safety inspection.

MY QUESTION IS:

1) How many GM cars exist in the USA, over all years and all makes and models, have a rotting subframe/bushing problem, (i.e. just enough subframe/bushing rot for one, some or all of the #2 and #3 bushings to pop though their subframe)? These cars should be well enough to last for a few more years, at least, if their subframe problem is repaired. Note that there should be no body rust/rot problems above the subframe bushings.

Thank you in advance for your answers. Please remember that I'm looking for market research information, on numbers of vehicles with this problem, and not an alternate solution or your experience with this issue. Just numbers please!

I'll be checking this forum, from time-to-time, while I start by taking some subframe measurements and spend an hour or two to make preliminary drawings of my design idea.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:00 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
sorry, dont have info you need but, keep in mind that the cars that do rot are reliable enough to approach, if not exceed,20 years of use and abuse

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:19 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:49 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
:happy1:

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:19 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
I have personally seen my fair share of C and H bodies over the years I have been checking them out, and I can honestly say I haven't personally seen a single case of subframe failure as a result of corrosion, or anything even remotely close to it.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Subframes can be had for $40-75 all day long in my area, and chances are that comes with the bushings. Check www.car-part.com

$500 labor? are you taking it to the dealer? I could would a subframe swap in a couple hours @ $60/hr. No way should this take 8 hours by a professional.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:29 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
Well if I had to guess, counting every h body car (bonneville, lesabre, olds 88 and then the park ave, riviera, olds 98 which are similar cars), they must have been in the millions. So let's say 1 million total. About 30% of these cars would up in parts of the world where they aren't exposed to salt. That leaves roughly 700,000. I'd say at least half of them have been junked for any number of reasons including the subframe issue. So 350,000 of these cars have or will have this issue. In all honesty it's very difficult to know how many cars this has affected. And on top of this the newest possible h body was built 12 years ago. I don't see very many normal non diy people even keeping a car of that age that has suffered this failure, especially given that if it's gone that far the rest of the car is not doing very well.

As Andrew said, good subframes are cheap and not really that bad to replace, giving the market for this repair you are developing a very small audience.

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2013 Audi Allroad Quattro

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Getting a good one can be hard. I looked around my area pretty exhaustively, and no one even had one to offer. I ended up on eBay, getting one for $2xx shipped. It's in great shape so I felt the price was fair.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:20 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
To be blunt, the market for the 87 - 99 H / C bodies is basically dead except for maybe a dozen nut cases like us here that would actually spend money on one to keep it going. For the most part now they are $2,000 cars and if the subframe rots enough to drop down there is a 90% chance the rest of the car is rotted garbage as well and should be removed from road service for public safety. I admire your drive to find a cost effective solution, but reality is it is something you would never make a dime off of.

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:00 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
No one on this forum is going to be able to give you a number that is even remotely close. Then there's the fact that you have to market the item and get your information out to those people, many of whom won't find you.

To address your point about GM recalling the item: Never in a million years is that going to happen. Lots of cars beyond the GM H-Body have this problem, and care and maintenance vary so vastly from owner to owner, you can't blame the manufacturer. My 2003 SSEi had a pristine subframe because the car came from being in Florida for the first 5 years of its life, and I took great care of it for the next 5 years. Can't say the same thing about a 2003 Bonneville owned by a middle-aged woman from MN who didn't give a *shoot*, and thought that getting her oil changed at Jiffy Lube was the greatest thing in the world. That car could be falling apart.

Could you make a low-cost, DIY solution? Maybe. But then people still have to fight rusty hardware and install it themselves, and the odds are that the people who have this problem aren't DIY'ers themselves. You'd be better off making a solution and trying to sell it to shops for them to use for cars that come in.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:23 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 Pontiac Bonneville SE
Thanks for all your replies so far:

To harofreak00: After making many calls, I found that $275 is the typical price for a high-quality used subframe in New Hampshire & Maine. Closest is 100 mi. away and I'd have to put down 50% on a Credit Card. Maybe the price is lower if I paid cash when pay the other half during pickup. Some recycling yards here buy them in bulk from a low-humidity state, down south. I'm guessing you live in a low-humidity state with little rust on cars. Also, my guess at $500 for labor was too high, because I forgot to subtract the $250 charge for some brake lines that needed replacement. So, actually, labor here in Southern NH is around $250 ($90-$125 per hr.), for a rusted subframe & bolts.

To haro1225: So maybe there's a small DIY audience of the "350,000 of these cars have or will have this issue". Or maybe, since these cars are at least 12 years old, then maybe there's a large percentage of them being DIY mechanics, because I don't think it makes financial sense to maintain an old car unless the owner is a DIY mechanic, or there's one in their family. So, from the 350,000, I'd guess around 200,000 are maintained by a DIY mechanic.

To J Wikoff: Yup, I'm getting similar prices here in Southern NH for subframes in great shape.

To crash93ssei: I think there are more "nutcases" like us than you think, especially since the 3800 motor and transmission typically last 300K to 500K miles. So it makes good sense for DIY people like myself (I'm also a semi-retired Strategic Marketing Engineer with lots of spare time now) to maintain my car's body to match the longer life-span of its motor & tranny. Down south, car bodies last much longer, so it's not much of an issue down there I think.

To 00Beast: After I write up and pay for a provisional patent, I could sell direct online because I'm highly experienced at building and running an eCommerce Website for consumer products. Then, if it sells well, I'll simply license my patent, for 5% royalty, to some manufacturers who would do their own tactical marketing and sell direct to auto repair shops. That would be sweet. I wouldn't expect to earn a whole lot of money, but the experience would be nice.

Thanks again to all your replies. I'll keep you all informed about my progress, although "I have many irons in the fire" as they say.