It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:04 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1994 Buick Park Ave Ultra
Ok, so ive got this 1994 Buick Park Avenue Supercharged and heres the nightmare of events that has lead me to this forum. Grab some popcorn, and here we go.... :btruestory:
Couple weeks ago, my bf and i were on our way home, bout 10-15 mins from home and he notices this faint raddling noise. Didnt think much of it, until a couple days later when we were driving to the store, the noise started getting louder, then just compleyely stopped, since it stopped, we figured it was nothing, but 5 mins into the drive home, the noise came back. Not long after it stopped again, and i had looked ovet and noticed the temp guage was going up, and up, and just before it got into tbe red, i told the bf to pull over cause the car was overheading. We make it into a parking lot, pop the hood, look around, and there was the problem... the serpintine belt was conpletely shreaded and had come off. 4 hours and $167.84 later, we've got it back home and called a mechanic friend of ours to come take a look. Long story, somewhat short, we find that the pulley for the supercharger had worn down the keyway had worn down, and the keyed slot on the pulley had worn down so much there was nothing catching to the supercharger bearing. :banghead:

Ok. So we've been to every wrecking yard and searched every cornor of the intrerweb and havent been able to find a replacement keyed supercharger pulley. I finally looked on the pulley for a parts number and found (EA85882) engraved on the inside. A google search found me Pulley Boys, and lead me to the Eaton M90. After alittle more research i found the Eaton M62. Heres where im confused. :dontknow:

● The M62: GM series 1 style keyed pulley. Fits 92-96 pontiac bonneville, oldsmobile ninety eight, buick park ave, ect. Stock pulley size for 92-93 is 2.55" and 94-95 is 2.85", we recommend for 92-93 get 2.2" and 94-95 get 2.55".
● The M90: 6 rib keyed pulley fits 96-03 4.6L Ford Mustang Saleen I, II, III. Replaces stock pulley (EA85882)

Now, would i get the M90 since it says it replaces stock EA85882, which is the pulley that i took off the supercharger, or do i get tje M62 since it says that its for GM series 1, and says it fits my park ave? Now, what size should i be getting? Would the best thing be to meassure the current pulley that i have and get the closest size? (On a side note, on the vehicle title it says year 1993, model year 1994. So does that mean the buick is a 93 or 94? The VIN comes up showing its a 94)

Ok. Story time is over. Thanks for listening.

Picutre time.
this is the pulley i took off the supercharger.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
If you Google your VIN, it should tell you the correct year. You do need a series I pulley. If it is a 94, the smaller 92/93 pulley will increase the boost. I'd only do that if the fuel pressure is up to spec, and the engine isn't getting any preignition retard, though. I'd suggest getting the right pulley for the year of Series 1 M62.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:50 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2002 Buick Park Ave
From the sound of it, something locked up inside the supercharger which sheared the key when the belt tried to spin. If the shaft does not spin, you need a supercharger replacement or rebuild not just a pulley. If you are located in the States, I would look for a used supercharger from Craigslist. Should only be $100 at most.

If the car is titled as a 94, it should have the Gen 3 M62. But, if you can post a pic the supercharger, we can identify you the precise replacement you need. The 92-93 M62s are not directly interchangeable with the 94-95 ones.

Your pic in the op wasn't working for me, but here it is for others:

yourgrandma wrote:
High

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:23 am 
LE Member

I will check the vin, and post a pic of the supercharger in the morning. I know very little about cars, except for the occasional little tinkers ive done over the years with my grandpa (who use to be a mechanic). The car is just your average daily driver, i dont need any boosts or anything like that. Just want to get it running again.
Wes, you meantioned something about the shaft rod mightve locked up, is there a way that i can test to see if thats the case? Would i just need to go and pop the hood and try to turn the shaft and if it turns its okay? Or is there more to it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:26 am 
LE Member

Oh one other thing. Whats the difference between the M90 and the M62? Just curious since the one i have that just came off the supercharger comes up on pulley boys saying the M90 is tbe replacement for stock EA85882, which is whats engraved on my pulley.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Unless a previous owner did an engine swap, you don't have an M90. An M90 has larger rotors and uses a pulley that is well over 3" in diameter, and has a longer neck/snout than an M62.

With no belt on it, it should spin, that's all there is to that. Though it might be difficult to spin the shaft with no pulley on it. Can you get a picture of the snout and shaft? I want to make sure the key isn't damaged, though it probably is. I don't know if you can get a new key to put in or not.

The third picture down shows the 3800 M90 (left) next to an M62 (right). Now, the differences between gens of M62s are more subtle, like the earlier having taller fins on the body, but otherwise looking very similar.

http://www.mre-books.com/turbo/roots_blowers.html

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights