It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:50 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 Bonneville SLE
So I know this has been asked before and I have searched and searched for a definitive answer. This is what I have gathered from research so far.

***A little history on the car, i got it from a junk yard because my 1993 Ford Probe GT needed new head gaskets and I didn't want to spend the money on possibly fixing it's numerous issues. The head gaskets weren't a sure fix on why it was running on 4 out of 6 cylinders. So I traded even stevens for this 1998 Bonneville SLE with 170k miles. It needed new brake lines and that was done free of charge to me to get the car working properly. ***

Well upon getting it home, I noticed NONE of the interior lights were working. So I looked in the FUSE box and seen there was no fuse in 6a. I popped one in and low and behold the lights came on! They did not shut off however so thus beginning my research into this issue.

1.) Lights staying on because one of the Door Jamb Switches is not working
2.) Possibly bad MALL
3.) Bad Ground Wire

I have taken apart the driver and passenger door and have been unable to locate this switch accurately. I read that on my model year it is built into the exterior handle. I disconnected a large 4 pin connector that went to a black box, and that just stopped my driver window from working. I disconnected the green and black, and tan and black 2 pin connectors that ran up into the door to the lock hole and handle, that just caused my alarm to go off after reentering the car sometime later after I locked it and had to disconnect the battery. Needless to say I have reconnected those two 2 pin connectors. I found the connector for the window regulator motor and the power mirror. No other connectors are present. I have pictures and a video showing all of this for those able to point me in the right direction.

Anyways nothing worked to get the lights to turn off. So next logical step was a BONG test. I hear 1 beep, then 2 beeps, then 3 and then 4. It repeats these beeps 3 times in total before going into I/O mode. When I turn the headlight switch counterclockwise, i hear a bong and the lights shut off! When I turn the knob all the way to the right clockwise, the lights come on and stay on and there is a bong.

I get bongs on everything except the door handles. No matter what 4 doors I use the only time it bongs is when the door is physically opened. It bongs twice super fast when opening the door and once when closing the door. Pressing my hip against the door, and lifting the exterior and pulling the interior handle provide no bongs on any door. It seems strange that all 4 doors would go bad.

So lets move onto the MALL module. I can see it under the dash and everything but can't quite get it out. I assume because it is bonging, that it is working? I did notice that after 20 seconds or so with the door shut and the big 4 pin connector disconnected, it flickers the lights once but they stay on.

I am at a loss at this point. I don't know for sure which connector in the door I am supposed to unplug, so I don't know what wire to check for ground and how to check it. I have been unable to find pictures or anything online in regards to this. Just a couple GM diagrams that are sketchy at best. So my hopes for this thread are to figure out what is going on, and provide others with the same issue, visuals and video to help them troubleshoot as well.

Tonight I will get a video of the bong test and show you what is going on. In the meantime here are the images and video I have currently of the issue.

2 Pin Connectors

4 Pin Connector Female

4 Pin Connector Male

Video of inner door panel and connectors
https://youtu.be/zMMbHUpDOCA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
My understanding was that the door latches are what tells the mall or bcm that the doors are open or closed. Disconnect whichever wiring goes to the door latch.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights