It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:03 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 96 bonneville 3800sc series 2 engine
Please read and offer any help and knowledge you can!

Full story is down a few posts \/

Last edited by Lou and Blue on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:25 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Can you post your issue here? A lot of people aren't members on both sites.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:52 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
That link will take you to another link on the gmforum, as well as other links embedded in that post.
Quote:
nstead of writing everything all over again I am just going to link to the original post , which has links to the grandprixforum where the discussion continued.

You'll likely get more assistance, if people don't have to jump through many hoops to find out the problem.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:28 am 
LE Member

Ok , sorry but I've been asking around so much . Here's the rundown:
1996 bonneville 3800sc (series 2) - bought the engine with 100k miles on it and I replaced the lim gasket with the zzp aluminum gasket and also did water pump, replaced rear main seal and cover plate gasket, put a 99 Grand Prix oil filter adapter on with the spring and check valve correctly. Also replaced lifters which were primed (soaked over night in oil and pumped before install) And also installed new pushrods. When running the engine I get 60 psi at idle so the oil pump is ok but only the pushrods on the alternator side of the engine are getting oil squirting up and the pushrods on the ac compressor side of the engine are completely dry. I tried motor flush and then rislone and the second drive with rislone the horrible tapping sound silenced and then came right back on the next drive. Thinking I had a clogged oil passage I tried valve medic and marvel Mystery oil but the rattlly tapping is still loud and noisy (no oil to that ac comp side valve train) . So I did a 5-7 mile drive with 2quarts 40weight oil, 2 quarts ATF, and 1 quart acetone. The rattle is still as loud as ever meaning no oil to that side. First I was told I prob have the rear main seal cover plate gasket on backwards preventing oil to that lifter bay.but then I read and see by the gaskets appearance that if that happened it would only be the balance shaft that would be starved oil . Now I am getting info about a dual check valve oil filter adapter that was needed and that that could be starving the ac compr side Lifters oil. I'd rather not have to pull the engine out and take it off the tranny just to find out that the gasket for the rear main seal cover was ok to begin with. Is there such an oil filter adapter with dual check valves? Please help!!! (Oh and thanks for reading this whole thing)
Louis

Post subject: Full details added
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:10 pm 
LE Member

Bump- please read. Now I have the full story on this thread

Somebody's gotta know something about this....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:35 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
It's possible that the rear cover plate is clogged, but the oil filter adapter won't cause anything like this.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:33 pm 
LE Member

So the only way the ac compressor side lifters get oil is through the rear cover plate? The ac comp side lifters don't get any oil feed from the front like in the timing chain area?

If that's the case then I should be able to physically see the obstructed oil passage in the rear cover when I remove it. I'd rather not have to remove the harmonic balancer and timing chain cover if its not going to reveal anything or help at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:41 pm 
LE Member

I got info from the Grand Prix forums today

Early SII from 95-97.5ish have a rear cover with a shallower crossover groove that caused valve train noise on the early engines so pretty much all 98 and later rear covers have a much deeper crossover path between the two divots which line up with the primary oil galley in the rear bank and the secondary galley which is only for the lifters on the front bank.
that is the only passage it is not like the earlier engines which have drilled crossover path and an integral rear bulkhead that is quite a bit sturdier than the series 2 even if it is heavier

So all signs point to that rear
Main seal cover plate.
Either the plate or the gasket , something's restricted there.thanks so much to everyone .
And if anyone has a 98 or newer series 2 rear cover plate To sell let Me know