It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
I've been thinking about new front struts for the SSE. What are good struts to get these days? I keep gravitating towards the Moogs, but I really don't have a reason. I can't find any brand that say they are specific to FE2. All I can find are one-for-all fits. If there are stiffer struts, I'd like them. Same goes with springs. A pre-installed spring would be preferred, but I assume they are all FE1 geared. I see on Moog's site that they have SSEi specific springs, which Rockauto carries. According to their specs, their only differences are spring load (78 pounds more) and free height is like 3/8" longer than the SSE/SE springs. Would the only installed difference be the resulting ride height with the lower spring load springs resulting in a lower ride? The spring rates are the same. Though they are variable rate it only lists one number. I don't know if that's the average or min or max, or if the variable nature is different between sets.

Any thoughts on that or what other brands have available?

http://www.fme-cat.com/Application.aspx ... &back=true

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
There are very few reviews on Moog's struts, and most of them aren't favorable. People do seem to like KYB.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:09 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
Keep your springs... The ride Height will change, the car will likely sit higher.. The ride will change completely as well... If you like the way the car rides now keep the stock springs..

Being that we can get Monroe Reflexes anymore, I liked the Monroe Matic Plus, seemed to be as firm as the stock strut... The Sensatrack seems to be a bit softer I think this is due to the valving, but it is quick to react to road conditions..

some seem to prefer the KYB's..

The only thing I can recommend is to keep your factory springs.. Stock is a straight rate, the replacement is more than most a Variable Rate.. I like the Variable rate on my SE, but they do sort of pogo a tiny bit due to the nature of the spring.. As they compress they ramp up and get stiffer quickly... As well my car sits a tad higher than it used to.. On an SE with FE1 the Moogs for an SSEi are an improvement, But being that you have an SSE FE2, Keep those springs...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Monroe has a lot of spotty reviews...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:39 am 

I have noticed that too... Seems they were better years ago... I will be installing Monroes on my as thats what I have sitting here... But I was looking at the KYB's..Might do the KYB's on my 03..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:47 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
As I understand it, Moog bought out Gabriel.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
I bought the KYBs. They came today. I noticed two things. I can hear fluid shown inside them. And the holes for the brake and abs line brackets are not threaded. Is the slosh normal? Do they expect the original hardware to self-thread the holes?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:25 am 

The slosh is normal.. Yes your stock bolts will thread the holes..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:02 am 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
OK good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:14 am 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
I've got the passenger side installed. The uncompressed length seems like an inch longer than the old strut and it wanted to press itself against the CV boot before I could get it bolted to the knuckle, which worried me, but I don't think it tore the boot.