It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:26 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 bonneville sse
hello this is my second post.

I have 1995 bonneville with 3.8L 3800 motor .

anyway ABS light has been on for a minute.

then my brakes completely quit working.

1 of the rear brakes gets fluid when bleeding.

the other 3 don't really have any pressure.

============

So my questions are.

1. Is this the master cylnder? We even cleared the brake lines to make sure they weren't clogged.

2. Can I bypass the ABS system completely and hook the brakes up directly.

3. would problem with ABS system cause brakes to COMPLETELY go out. I mean go out by the pedel goes to the floor and no stopping power.

The last time I was driving the brakes would work sometimes, sometimes they wouldn't . When they had pressure, the car would stop and pull to one side (probably because only the rear brake was the one working) and then the rest of the time the brakes would not work at all .

The reason I thought it wasn't the master cylinder, because the rear brake was working and had pressure thru the lines I thought how could the master cylinder be completely out?

Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
I don't know enough about the inner workings of the master cylinder to know if it could only supply pressure to one rear line. Does it even have 4 outputs, or just two? My guess is that the abs unit has flipped out. Try disconnecting a wheel speed sensor, the wiring harness from the abs unit, or the abs/traction control fuse and see what happens. That will disable the abs and traction control entirely. Please be careful though!

When I had awheel speed sensor dying, it would brake fine for a moment, then the abs would kick in on all but 3 wheels and I could barely stop.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:53 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1995 se bonnie
bad abs unit, try to get the abs to kick on and then rebleed, if you have the same problem, the abs unit Is junk.

rt-95 rims look kinda like crosslaces
6000k hids
f- body muffler dual output
96-99 headlight conversion, clear markers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:07 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
The master cylinder should have 2 channels, each channel carries 2 wheels diagonally across the vehicle. I believe the master cylinder also does all of the braking work until lockup is detected, in which the abs overrides and relieves pressure on one wheel by opening/shutting a solenoid, then once the wheel starts turning, the solenoid releases and brake pressure is restored to the wheel. This also generates feedback in the pedal, and once all 4 start locking, the feedback is strong enough to push the pedal back at you. ABS faults usually have you standing on a rock, not the floorboard. You should be able to bleed the lines between the ABS and the master cylinder. Both lines should have pressure. Also check all brakes for uneven wear, something to indicate that one break hasnt been working. This may be a combination of factors, like a plugged brake line on one front wheel, coupled with a complete failure of one channel on the master cylinder. Figure out where you are losing pressure, and address accordingly (assuming it is even generating any).

Standard disclaimers apply, I am not 100% sure on everything. Also remember, abs was standard on all C/H bodies for all but 1 year, so non ABS parts are not in demand.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place