It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:13 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 99' SLE
Try to hit it with a hammer a couple times, might be rusted in there and a couple good wacks will loosen it up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:12 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 lx
Yup, yup, tried the hammer also a couple of times. Not too hard of course :wink:

Finally did get it off!! Went to Sears and bought a set of external torx sockets. Came off with more effort than I suspected, but did come off. So thanks for all the advice fellas.

Of course now I have an other problem so I find. Power steering fluid is dumping all over the place. Is it possible that something got messed up when I had to run without a serpentine belt (hence, no power steering pressure) for about 5 miles on secondary roads (lots of turns).

Have not checked for any broken or leaking hose yet other than a quick peek with a flashlight (which just confirmed fluid all over but no visible breaks).

Had to go about 80 miles today, so just filled the pump reservoir hoping that it was just air in the lines or something. Definitely not, fluid is coming out somewhere. Dumped all of it within 10 miles I suspect.

Any thoughts??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:26 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 1999 SLE L36
Glad to hear you finally got the bolt out. You may want to investigate a new stud that isn't chewed up on the end as a replacement for the next time. PM some of the people parting out their cars here or check a pick and pull salvage yard. Should be SUPPER cheap but worth every penny for the next change.

As far as the power steering pump I'm not sure, but I would think that pressure building up with no flow from the pump may just force the fluid out the top of the resevoir. Check the cap to make sure the seal is OK. I'm sure someone else will chime in here if I am wrong (quite possible).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:39 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1997 SE
You need to get the car up and check the power steering lines. There's a pressure line and a return line. One of them is likely gone/done/caputt. Find out which one and replace it, if that is the case. They are not too expensive, just a PITA to fix. If you do need to remove and replace a PS line, I suggest getting the correct size line wrench for it, so that you don't strip the nut and bust your knuckles.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:12 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Found the problem with the power steering!!! When the serpentine belt broke, it slashed the plastic reservoir real nicely. Looks like a knife cut into it. Even though the slash is about 3 inches long, only a real tiny area penetrated through the plastic. That was enough though.

New reservoir from GM is 155+ bucks, while a rebuilt pump with reservoir is 119 plus 20 core charge. Few cents cheaper from after market parts places. Will go with the GM rebuilt and eventually repair my old reservoir for future use I think.

Back on the road soon, I hope.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:03 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 99' SLE
How about repairing it... double bubble, tire repair patch (from inside), glue... I'm not sure of the pressures, if any, that may be present though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:16 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Will repair it or try to at a later date. Right now just want to get the beast back on the road. I suspect that Ducco cement or similar with some similar plastic material will do a good job of repairing. Have to find some adhesive or chemical that will slightly soften the plastic. Then I know the repair will hold.

Will keep the unit as a standby. Which means I will never need it. If I get rid of it, the new rebuilt unit will fail within 3 months. Always happens. :) :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:50 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 se
i just had my belt slip at walmart and had to get it towed back last night. took me a couple hours but the e-10 torx external torx socket work perfect for taking the lower stud out. Just loosen the upper right nut of the and u can slip the belt in and out without worry of ruining the new belt. 15 mm socket 15 mm wrench 18mm socket and that 10 eE socket was all I used. tensioner is 15mm. lower enginge mount nut is 18 mm the bolt is 10 E ,upper right nut is 15 mm socket which with belt on I used wrench to tigheten.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:23 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: (RIP 10/31/15) 1997 SE
05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
Please don't dig up old threads. This thread is four years old.
If you have new info, make a new post.

R.I.P. 10/31/15: 1997 SE: "Silver Shadow"
`05 Mercedes S500