It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:46 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: (RIP 10/31/15) 1997 SE
05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
SSEiMan01 wrote:
The L26 upper is aluminum, but the throttle body is different for the DBW. But I believe someone makes an adapter for an L36 TB to bolt up to the L26 upper.
Okay yeah, that sounds right. So you can choose between finding the L36 TB -to- L26 upper intake adapter plate and make a few mods, or you can put a new Dorman plastic upper intake on the L26.

Here's a link to putting an L26 upper on a 92-99 Bonneville L36. There's a few modifications needed. It might be easier to just put a Dorman L36 upper on the thing.
http://pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4181&p=293028#p293028

R.I.P. 10/31/15: 1997 SE: "Silver Shadow"
`05 Mercedes S500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:15 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1999 SE
interesting info. I think I will keep the aluminum intake then just in case I decide to get away from the plastic old one. I will price the adapter and see which route to go in the future. For now I will let them put the brand new plastic one on there

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:36 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
e8r23i80c wrote:
For now I will let them put the brand new plastic one on there.
That's what I'd do, for whatever that's worth.

`05 Mercedes S500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:45 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

IT LIVES!!!! stupid mechanics telling me that motor wouldn't work. I'm literally laughing in all their faces right now (since they are done with the car). Many thanks to all of you again. Without you guys I would have paid alot more money for a series II motor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:53 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
You should drive it to the shop that told you that it won't work in your car and show it to them.
"This is my car, running perfectly with the L26 engine block you said wouldn't work in my car. The experts at PontiacBonnevilleClub.com -who have done L26-based swaps before- knew and said it would work, and you guys continued to insist it couldn't work. Your mechanics were wrong, and you should learn from your mistake."

That's what I'd do, but then again, I'm known for being kind of a d!ck that way.

`05 Mercedes S500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:01 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
You have to remember there is a difference between those who go to school and those who are all hands on. They only know what the books tell them. Also remember they are trained to work on a lot of makes and models. We are dedicated to one and our combined knowledge is on a lot of others.

I run into the same thing when buying parts sometimes. They like to tell me it won't fit on my car. That is why I look up my own stuff and just give them the part number I want. Big example is when I went to buy LIM gaskets the last time. GM still does not know the aluminum ones work for the Bonnevilles.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:23 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Bugsi I so would do that little dance...but I have to work with the mechanics that said it wouldn't work everyday lol. I did my little victory dance in their shop already though please believe me. I totally had faith in what you guys were telling me the whole time. I tried to tell those guys that you all know these cars bolt for bolt and that you had done this swap before. You guys have never steered me wrong. Many thanks again

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:03 am 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
I hope this motor will serve you well for a long time...

On some other notes... I have been around cars all of my life, I still dork with cars here and there... I learned a lot hands on from an old mechanic.. Interesting what you can learn just by being there, and what you will learn when you are helping that mechanic.. I have seen a lot... We fixed engines that the dealer would not even touch... Most are shocked when I start talking about cars other than GM/Pontiac... I do know quite a bit, but there is always room for learning more as no mechanic will ever know it all..

But I love hearing it won't work when I know it will work... weather its a 3800 or a hyundai with a 2.0 thats supposedly year specific( funny how thats not the case )

I have in the past gotten into it with ASE Certified Mechanics, I told one " Just because you wear an ASE patch doesn't mean you know s***, it tells me you can read a book and pass a test " ... Now I know there is more to it than that, but at the very least you should have general knowledge.. I got into it with that dealer a few times, after that I refused to buy any parts from them, would not have them service my car for any reason.. I wouldn't even let my friends buy cars there...

I have learned a lot simply by watching, and doing... It is honestly amazing what you will learn from an old school mechanic / gearhead... I know people that are afraid to touch a newer car... But an engine is still an engine and still requires Air, Fuel and Spark..

But remember we are always learning, old dogs do learn new tricks...