It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:41 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
Lately, I have been coming across a problem, and am not sure what to make of it just yet.

I will be driving along, and punch it (say, 25), the car will go to 2nd, some profanities come out because the car isn't moving like it should, then it will shift to 1st, as it should have all along. After shifting to first, it will go right back to second.

Then getting on the highway, I start casually accelerating, and find myself on a collision course with a truck pulling a trailer. I opted to accelerate out of it, near WOT (like WOT, but not buried in to the carpet), and then it shifted from OD, to 3rd, to 2nd, right back to 3rd, back to second, held 2nd for a second, then back to 3rd. Instead of accelerating, it was hunting around.

Later down the road, I was then not able to duplicate the issue again.

This isn't the first time this is happened, and normal driving is fine. It is mainly the kickdown scenario that I have trouble. I believe the fluid level is fine, but is due for a change. If I had to take a guess, I would suspect the TPS would be to blame. If that is the case, I will let it ride for a bit. My concern is a possible underlying tranny issue, so that is why I decided to ask the experts. Does this sound like it could be in any way something failing in the transmission? Something else I may be missing?

It feels like the tranny is doing what it is told, only the computer is telling it to act stupid :bluetwitch:

Thoughts?

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:13 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
That does sound like a faulty TPS... If you could look at the live data and see what the TPS values are and weather or not the values vary in a smooth fashion as you slowly open and close the throttle.. The TPS also plays a decent part in fueling as well..

Have you been having any other issues?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:01 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

1994 Buick Regal Custom
The only thing I can think of is that it did like to hold second gear to the rev limiter (80+ mph, actual rpms unknown) if I kept it wide open, but now, I wonder if it was the TPS acting up then too.

Fuel mileage is crap, and always has been, even after a full tune up, cat converter, and L36 coils. I have attributed that to city mileage. I tend to get abusive in traffic, which is not the strongest suit of a L27 w/ 2.84 FDR (oh hey, TPS getting exercise here, LOL).

I may have to hit up a junk yard if I can find one for cheap, or look in to the diagnostic solutions. I have been wanting to do that anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:49 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

1994 Buick Regal Custom
I have been thinking about this lately, and I have been having a lot of surging under acceleration. The other forum decided to choose a fuel delivery issue as the possible cause, but I don't know if that would explain the erratic shifting. I would think that if the car downshifts, and the engine sputters and coughs, that the computer would hold the gear it was in, not shift out of it. I have had surging for a while, but always associated it to the crappy intake I have.

I will have to look in to it a little bit more. If I had a computer on it, I could see exactly what it is doing and why. I have been thinking about setting up my laptop for it, I guess what better reason to? I may also go and check the TPS old school style just to see as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:03 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1997 SE Anniversary Edition
Checked the trans fluid level? Car warm, on a level surface, engine running, e-brake on, in neutral? It's surprising how even just a bit below full-even a pint-will make the trans act up. While checking the fluid, smell it to see if it smells burnt. If it does, you have other problems.

Secondly, change the fuel filter.