It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 97 SE won't stay running
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:45 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 Bonneville SE
About 2 weeks ago, for the 1st time ever (210K miles) my bonnie died on the way to the store 1 mile away. I waited 2 min and it started right up and worked fine for a week.

Then it died pulling into a parking spot at Applebies. Started right back up and was fine for 3 days. On my way to get groceries, it died and would not run again. Towed it to the shop and changed the fuel pump/sender. Everything was fine for a week.

Today when I started it up, it idled way high 2k+, but settled right down after about a min. After a no problem short run to the store, I tried to start it again and it won't stay running. She'll crank, catch, idle very rough, and eventually die.

Good fuel pressure, no codes.

Please help... I'm dead in the parking lot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:33 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1992 SE
how long ago did you do a tune up? And you could check your throttle position sensor, and mass air flow sensor. You could also check out the coolant temp sensor, the one for the computer, but thats rare Ive only had on go bad that caused that kinda issue on my 91 firebird. and check your coil packs, could be one or more dying out on you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:21 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1999 Buick Lesabre Custom
Try unplugging the MAF and see if it will run with it unplugged. If it does, it could be a bad MAF.

Joseph

Current: 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey
1999 Infiniti G20T - Sold
1999 Buick Lesabre - Race Couch - gone but not forgotten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:13 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 Bonneville SE
I use Torque for Android and can monitor most of the sensors real time while the engine is running. MAF, TPS, intake air temp, rpm, HO2S, idle air controller, coolant temp, injector pulse width are all working normally. Tune up was done early this year (Feb?).

This morning I went out to start the engine, 37deg F temp. I can most always hear the (new and old) fuel pump prime/stop. This morning the pump sounded weak/slow. Engine cranked, fired, stumbled for a few seconds and died. Did this about six times running a little longer each time. I let it sit for 15 seconds when I turned the key to the "on" position the fuel pump sounded normal and the car ran fine for the rest of the day.

Stopped by my mechanic this afternoon and ran these symptoms by him. We were both scratching our heads on why the new fuel pump would have a weak/no output then start working. Short of putting a boroscope through the fuel lines, the lines don't seem to be damaged/obstructed. No visible fuel leaks, no gas smell anywhere.

The high idle issue left us wondering.... I cleaned the idle air controller this afternoon. I'd never cleaned it before and it looked like it. It was dirty but readily cleaned up with some degreaser and shop rag. When I restarted the engine, the idle air controller value on Torque dropped from 44 to 36 at idle with no load.

I've got a fuel pressure gauge and will check the fuel pressure at the rail tomorrow to see what it is normally and if it fails to start fuel pressure will be the first thing I check.

Thoughts, suggestions, theories?

As always, many thanks...

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:37 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1992 SE
this may seem like a overly simple suggestion, but did you check your gas cap? My friend had an odd issue with his durango like that he said turned out to be the gas cap was letting the fuel pressure out of the system. I dont think it could be that, but stranger things have happened.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:59 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 99 Bonneville
Loosen the screw Pull the connector to the Ignition module (under the coils), tighten up on the sockets, put it on and off
3 times, apply dielectric grease. 90% of the time that,s what causes stalling.
Bad crank sensor would cause a no start also.