It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 95 SSEi
05 GXP
I put a new radiator in the old 95 yesterday and decided to change the oil while I was under it.
I now have a couple of issues.

First, when I started the car the "check gauges" was on the DIC and the chime was going off.
Turns out the oil pressure gauge is at 0, not functioning. Well after driving it around and checking
for leaks of the all the fluids that were involved with the repair, I have determined that I indeed must
have oil pressure because she runs like a champ and the coolant stays pegged at 200 degrees.
I drove it for a half hour with no issues or knocks, etc.

My question is: What could I have done to make the oil pressure sending unit (or the dash gauge) mess up after doing a radiator and oil change? I never even came near those items.

Could draining the oil cooler lines and all the rest of the oil at the same time cause some sort of momentary air gap that messed up the sensor? BTW the sensor is not original on the car, it was
replaced some years ago.

Next question: I can't find anything but wiring diagrams in the FSM about changing the oil pressure switch. I know it's near the oil filter housing, but will oil run out all over when you change it? I don't want to change my oil again.

Finally: I have a trough full of green antifreeze that has oil and trans fluid mix in it from changing the radiator. What do I do with that stuff? How do you get rid of it safely when it's a mix of junk?

Black 16 Traverse (original owner)90K miles
Black 15 Lacrosse (some nice lady put first 15K on it)43K miles

"You can have one in any color as long as it's black" - H. Ford

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:10 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
The oil pressure sender is located just above the oil filter. Make sure the connector did not come off. If you change the sender, there may be a small amount of oil come out, but not much. Due to the tight places, many have to use a pair of slip joint pliers to get it loose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
I've changed mine without draining the oil first. Got the original finger loose, spun it out fast as I could, then spun the new one in quickly. I lost maybe 1/4 a quart. I had just run the engine before hand, so given some time, more may drain back to the pan.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:05 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 95 SSEi
05 GXP
The sensor broke off and is dangling under the PS pump.
I hope I can get the broken piece out if its hole.

Black 16 Traverse (original owner)90K miles
Black 15 Lacrosse (some nice lady put first 15K on it)43K miles

"You can have one in any color as long as it's black" - H. Ford