It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:37 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: '92 Bonneville SSE
the most favorite feature of my 1992 Bonneville SSE seems permenantly dead. not sure why. before it would randomly flicker or go in/out if it had just rained a lot, i blamed it on humidity, and it would always come back and work fine the rest of the time. but this last time it just started flickering during the bulb check (right as i was starting the vehicle) then go dead and stay dead during the entire duration of a drive, sometimes it would come back the next time or so it was started later. but now it's not even doing the test. no flicker or nothing. chime is also dead. i would hope it's a fuse only because i am certainly not going to find parts for this cluster in town :( compass still works and nothing else is wrong though.

i doubt it's the display unit itself since i no longer get the 4 ding lamp monitor or low fuel 'check gages' warnings, and the HUD check gages and low fuel icon died the same time as the DIC did (haven't refueled since)

Last edited by nickdalzell1 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Hmm. Did you try taking it apart and reseating all the connections?

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:39 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: '92 Bonneville SSE
apologies for following up so late, it seems to be random now, the DIC works for the time being, and like my finicky VATS system, seems to act up only in extreme heat/humidity. however it seems when the DIC does the failure it tends to flicker during the whole system check, (when the gauges go from beginning to end, to beginning and read normally upon starting the engine) and if it flickers it stays out afterward, almost as if it failed the test and was disabled for the time being. turning off the engine and restarting can cause it to display check fine and works after. it's either that or the power lead supplying it with power is failing (is it a separate component? or part of the cluster?) compass and everything else in the cluster work fine. just the DIC stays out. if it gets any worse, is it possible to directly interchange one of the non-DIC clusters (with the Systems Monitor in place of it) without a lot of modifications? i get a bit peeved to find something not working in my gauge cluster.