It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:06 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 1993 SE
I pulled off a leaking brake line from the ABS junction unit under the hood all the way to the back rear wheel cylinder. Close to the wheel cylinder in the brake line is about a 2 inch long (coupler)? that the auto parts tech told me was just a connector for the two brake lines. Does this sound correct? or is this some sort of an inline valve I must replace?

I plan on replacing the brake line today and/or tomorrow - please reply as soon if possible

I'll try to attach a picture soon - is there a way to attach a picture? I don't see an option for attachments, etc

Here's a Link for the pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/83170120@N ... 7616189032

Thanks....Milty

Last edited by milty on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:33 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
Those are the proportioning valves to balance front and rear pressure to the brakes. If they can't be reused, they should be replaced.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:57 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Thanks for the info - heading back to parts store - got the old one apart - probably just work it into the new brake line unless parts store has a new one

Thanks ..... Milty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:16 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Are they proportioning valves or residual valves to keep pressure in the drums to prevent pumping of the pedal after long periodsof not braking?

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:32 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1999 Bonneville SLE
Milty,

Not to hijack your thread, but since you are freshly working on the same basic problem I am, can you tell me what year your Bonne is and which rear wheel you are working on is routed to which ABS port? I mixed up my rear lines while replacing rotted brake line and I'm really in need of some help.

BTW, the parts you are looking for are going to be dealer only, from what I heard. They are either proportioning valves or residual valves (with forums are split on their purpose, but the general feeling is that they are not just couplers)... I would just clean them as much as possible and reuse them.

RockAuto.com lists them as proportioning valves at $27 each... AC Delco part 19244448.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:48 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Bucky,

I have a 93 Bonne. Facing back of car on my left is the rear wheel I am working on - brake line routes to the rearmost ABS port under the hood - closest to firewall. I am reusing my valve (proportioning or residual?) Good luck on your routing !!!!

Milty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:34 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1999 Bonneville SLE
milty wrote:
Bucky,

I have a 93 Bonne. Facing back of car on my left is the rear wheel I am working on - brake line routes to the rearmost ABS port under the hood - closest to firewall. I am reusing my valve (proportioning or residual?) Good luck on your routing !!!!

Milty

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I was afraid your Bonneville was an older one. My ABS unit on the '96-'99 is a different unit. I did find the solution, if you read the other thread.

BKNJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:38 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
00Beast wrote:
Are they proportioning valves or residual valves to keep pressure in the drums to prevent pumping of the pedal after long periodsof not braking?

From all the information I've had - proportioning valves. Rock Auto sells them.

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.