It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:06 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1992
Just got a '92 SE from my brother-in-law. It sat for about a year, he said he's started it every couple months with no prob. Last time it was started was about 2 months ago. This is the first time it's had any problems starting. It turns over all day but won't fire. I drained all the old fuel, and filled the tank with fresh gas treated with injector cleaner. I can hear the fuel pump start when the key is on and there is decent pressure at the fuel rail. There is no spark and no pulse. I've changed the plugs, wires, cam sensor (and interrupter), icm, and pcm, and fuel filter with all new parts. The injectors have between 14 and 14.3 ohms when checked with the multimeter. I've checked the engine ground, both door sill ground blocks, and the icm is well grounded. I've checked the crank sensor harness as well as the icm harness and the crank sensor appears to be working properly (I have a new sensor on hand but haven't installed it yet). I've been chasing wires for a week and all have good continuity and every connection I've checked has checked well except for the spark and pulse. I'm about at my wits end but not quite ready to give up. I really want to get this car fixed up but can't do anything if I can't figure this out. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Sounds like a crank sensor, or possibly a passkey problem. BTW, the car doesn't need the cam sensor to start and run, it just fine tunes the injector timing.

I wonder if it has any codes stored.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:36 am 
LE Member

Thanks for the info about the cam sensor, I thought it could prevent injector pulse in some situations. I'm planning to replace the crank sensor today but am concerned it's not the problem because the 3X and 18X both test ok with the led test light. Are there any ways to bypass the VATS other than soldering a resistor in? There are no codes stored but the battery has been disconnected while it sat and it's been on and off while I've been working on it. Thanks for the quick response, any other ideas about what could prevent spark and pulse?

Last edited by willie0513 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
PCM? I've never dealt with passkey stuff myself, so I don't know much there.

Uhh, what PCM did you put in there, and did you swap the eprom? Say you got a PCM from a 93 and didn't swap in the original 92 chip, it won't start.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:57 pm 
LE Member

I bypassed the passkey... no luck there. The new pcm is brand new, the numbers match the old one and I did swap the prom. I took a closer look at the crank sensor harness and two of the pins don't look very good. Don't know if that's causing the prob though because the 3X and 18X signals both seem to test ok but I'm going to repin the harness tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'm going to swap in the new sensor. After that I'm totally lost. Also, I borrowed a better scan tool and diagnosed both pcm's, nothing came up on either of them.

Last edited by willie0513 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.