It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:59 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
The MAF screen in the TB is actually there for a reason in these cars, it takes the air and makes it Laminar so that the MAF can get a true Mass reading, so if you took it out please reinstall it, its an important part of the fueling system on these cars..

Also just to note, 94-95 SC 3800 had the largest throttle plate ever used on a 3800.. It'll be hard to ever outflow the TB and Maf Screen on these cars..

I used an old Actron CP9110( I think thats what it is ) to scan for KR and the like... But I think there are better things out these... we should let some of the OBD1 guys chime in on this as I am sure they have some better options...

A Fender Well will help it breathe better, and will make more noise... You could make your own, some how I think you have a good idea on that already...lol.... But I like intense for that, you'd have to figure out what size the TB is and go from there..

There are a couple of vendors that sell 1.8 Yella Terra Rockers for the Series I 3800... Will push the valve open to roughly .460 with the 1.8 Roller Rocker...

Sounds like in the end you'll have a H*** of a daily driver... :beerchug:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:56 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 95 & 93 ssei's, 00 turbo focus, 11 kia soul
ive heard about those 1.8 rockers. seems like it could make it pretty mean but i dont think we are going to go that deep into it.

we never removed the screen. i lurked for a few days before actually signing up and posting and i learned quite a bit in the process. the ribbed sides and odd shapes of the factory intake make the air very turbulent and the screen basically straitens out the air to force it to move in a strait and uniform direction as it passes the maf so that it can get a clear reading. it is also the last line of defense for stopping debris from getting into the supercharger. but in the process of straitening out the air it slows down the air's velocity so it is a slight hindrance. a cold air intake with smooth piping with gradual bends wouldnt make the air turbulent because it is smooth on the inside and would therefore render the screen moot except as a debris catcher. this is what i gathered from my lurking. is that correct?

yeah we have been thinking about just making our own. a buddy of mine has a mandrel bender that will bend up to 5 inch pipe. he lets me use it so long as i pay for the pipe. i might just go ahead and try to make my own intake.

i then bought another ssei bonneville

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:34 pm 

More or less if you make your own intake and can get the air to be very laminar via the smooth intake then yes you can get away with removing the screen...

And if you can make your own I think that would be a great thing and much cheaper than buying one... I am more than certain you know of good silicone couplers and the like as well so you should have no problems coming up with a good intake... The one thing I love about the M62 is the Scream they produce through an intake...lol

Just curious, what kind of MPG's did you pull down on your trip?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:19 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

really dont want to screw with making my own intake if i can help it though. i did that when i was making intercooler and charge piping for my focus and it was a pain. granted there was a lot more to that but its alot of work to do right and i just dont wanna lol.

we averaged about 24-26 mpg. i kinda cheated though. we drafted behind big rigs most of the time. before we replaced the crank and cam sensor it was getting about 18mpg on the trip up the mountain to where my girlfriend goes to school and about 20-22 on the way back.

that actually reminds me of another questions i forgot to ask. this car coasts like a god dang rocket. i have NEVER driven a car that coasts like this thing. is that a normal thing for these? i mean i actually stopped once on my way down the mountain with it the first time because i was worried about overheating the brakes. and dropping it down to D doesnt seem to help at all.

Last edited by focusmaniaczx3 on Wed May 23, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:06 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '93 SSEi
'05 STS-4
'97 Camaro
'97 LeSabre
My favorite OBD1 scanner is EFILive v4. It does scan the OBD1.5 cars, you just have to get/make the connector for the ALDL connector.

Runs:
'93 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi - Twincharged, manual, and lots more! Build thread
'97 Chevy Camaro - 3800 supercharged, T5, T-tops
'05 Cadillac STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Olds Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'84 GMC Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 Buick LeSabre - L67 winter DD
'92 Pontiac Bonneville SSE future project

Doesn't run:
'87 Buick LeSabre T-type - future victim
'67 Buick LeSabre - future victim

Last edited by MattStrike on Wed May 23, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:38 pm 

focusmaniaczx3 wrote:
really dont want to screw with making my own intake if i can help it though. i did that when i was making intercooler and charge piping for my focus and it was a pain. granted there was a lot more to that but its alot of work to do right and i just dont wanna lol.

we averaged about 24-26 mpg. i kinda cheated though. we drafted behind big rigs most of the time. before we replaced the crank and cam sensor it was getting about 18mpg on the trip up the mountain to where my girlfriend goes to school and about 20-22 on the way back.

that actually reminds me of another questions i forgot to ask. this car coasts like a god dang rocket. i have NEVER driven a car that coasts like this thing. is that a normal thing for these? i mean i actually stopped once on my way down the mountain with it the first time because i was worried about overheating the brakes. and dropping it down to D doesnt seem to help at all.

That gas mileage actually sucks a little... Could be better...But we will come back to that at a later date...lol

Yes these cars coast like mad... and the funny part is these cars have a coast mode in the PCM, Its funny they can coast like this, the trans can coast quite well, the PCM will throw the injectors to 0 pulse and yet on a grade like 6% you won't slow down...LMAO... with mine( Naturally Aspirated L36 3800 II ) I have had to run back to 2nd gear to slow it down, but the series II can spin higher...

How fast were you going downhill? sometimes 2nd would be fine with a series I as well depending on speed...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:23 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

the speed limit on that strip of road was 55 so we stayed around 60-65.

25mpg sucks in this car? geeze its a supercharged 3.8L v6! how good is it supposed to be?

i put a post up in the wanted section of the BST area. ill leave it for a week or two and if i dont get what im looking for by then i guess ill make my own intake...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

screw it im making my own intake. the maf tube is a 3 inch diameter right?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:08 pm 

focusmaniaczx3 wrote:
the speed limit on that strip of road was 55 so we stayed around 60-65.

25mpg sucks in this car? geeze its a supercharged 3.8L v6! how good is it supposed to be?

i put a post up in the wanted section of the BST area. ill leave it for a week or two and if i dont get what im looking for by then i guess ill make my own intake...

Well iirc they were rated for 25-26 Hwy, most did 28-30 with the SC 3800 tho...

Even my old beast, Granted I am 3800 II NA, But I am averaging 23.4 with plenty of stop and go... 30-32 on the road.... Pulled 31 Mpg at 80 Mph, with a disassembled 3800 II NA in the trunk, My tools, Luggage... Back seat full to the gills, AC on...

We have had several pull 28-30... Yours being a 95 should do pretty decent... When you get something to scan that car with you might want to look at the O2 sensor signaling rate, it may be slowing on you a bit... As well have you already done the plugs and wires?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:57 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

well thats not good. still need to know for certain what scan tool i need to scan for all of this. the plugs are on the to do list. well pulled them and cleaned them up, they looked like they still had plenty of life left in them but the plugs and wires are still going to get replaced in the next few weeks. what brand of plugs are best for the 3800? ive always had the best results from motorcraft and autolite in my focus but it seems like different makes like different plugs better than others. should i run copper core for better spark and shorter lifespan of the plug or run platinum/iridium for maximum lifespan? i personally run coppers in my cars because i dont mind changing them out every 3 or 4 oil changes but since this isnt MY car i doubt it will be up to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:59 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

and since we are planning to do some slight power upgrades should we use colder plugs?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:01 am 

I really do like my old CP9110 for the older cars... But they are harder to find now as they have not been produced in many years...

In the SC 3800 we recommend copper plugs... A lot run the NGK TR55, this will be 1 range cooler than stock... These cars are also good with Autolite... So a set of those 1 range cooler would be fine as well... or you could use AC delco... any of those would work for you... You an run Iridium plugs as well, But stay away from the Platinum plugs in the SC 3800...

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:57 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

is this the scan tool you are talking about? if so im going to jump on it. i found 3 on ebay but only 1 works with GM. the other 2 come with ford cartridges.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Actron-ScanTool ... f2&vxp=mtr

if so i need more in depth details about how to use it and any other hardware or software i will need to use it.

Last edited by focusmaniaczx3 on Fri May 25, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

hey wait. i just found this too. i may just buy one of the ones that comes with the ford cartridge and then buy this as well. that way i will have it to use in older ford vehicles as well. would this work?
gm cartridge
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1703795946 ... si=y&cbt=y
scantool with ford cartridge on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Actron-ScanTool ... 416637cc47

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:46 am 

Thats exactly it.... Those will work fine together...

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:52 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

ok its on its way to my door. hit me with details on how to use that booger. do i use the scantool alone or do i have to have it hooked to a laptop when im checking for KR. do i need special software on my laptop to use it? i think thats about it.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:25 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
You can either get a scanner, or software and a cable. IIRC GoldenBullet had an OBD I to USB cable for sale, and there is free/cheap scanning software available online, so that might be the way to go.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:17 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

i was talking about being used in conjunction with the actron cp9110 which i just bought off of ebay and will be here about this time next week probably.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:43 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Gotcha, missed that. No need for a laptop with it.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:28 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

really? does it datalog? ah heck i guess ill figure that out when it gets here. i always get all excited about new toys!