It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starter?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:01 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 1996 SSE
Hey folks. So I took my car into the shop to flush my coolant out and replace my UIM and upper and lower gaskets. The operation went well, but when I picked up my car, I noticed that the first time I turned the key, I heard what I believe is the starter not engaging. Now there is no grinding sound at all, just a winding or spinning sound, and the car wouldn't start. After the split second I tried to start it and it failed, I let off, returned the key to the off position and went back into the shop to get them to fix it. Lo and behold, it started the second time with no issues, and all subsequent starts were fine. Well its happened twice since then, first time it won't engage or start, but second time works fine.

I'm not sure but it seems to me like the starter is acting up, but I'd like some opinions. It never once did this before, but I don't want to risk being stranded, or deal with the sound effects.

Post subject: Re: Starter?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:06 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 1994 Bonneville SE 240k Hot Rod
Sounds to me as if the solenoid on your starter is going bad.......probably not the fault of the shop. My first checks would be battery and cable connections, make sure battery is good, and every connection (including the starter "big" cable and "s" terminal) are tight and clean. Once those are checked out, and proven good, I would be looking at a new/rebuilt starter soon......NAPA sometimes gets a bad report on their rebuilt starters/alternators, but my NAPA starter works fine, and has for over a year. The NAPA alternator......been replaced under warranty twice in 2 years.

Post subject: Re: Starter?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:03 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 98 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
renchjeep wrote:
Sounds to me as if the solenoid on your starter is going bad.......probably not the fault of the shop. My first checks would be battery and cable connections, make sure battery is good, and every connection (including the starter "big" cable and "s" terminal) are tight and clean. Once those are checked out, and proven good, I would be looking at a new/rebuilt starter soon......NAPA sometimes gets a bad report on their rebuilt starters/alternators, but my NAPA starter works fine, and has for over a year. The NAPA alternator......been replaced under warranty twice in 2 years.

:withstupid: