It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1997 se bonneville
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:00 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 bonneville se
The car has 192000 miles and my mechanic says it time to change all the seals on the motor like the intake manifold gasket lower ,thermostat ,maifold gasket set ,plugs&wires, heater core connector ,thermostat housing seal, oil change and a trans service. He want to charge me around $1000.00 to do all this. So if i get all that done will the car run good for a few more years i dont drive it that much......... but i dont understand it cause the car never ran hot or anything like that the antifreeze didnt have a brown or goldish color to it so and i never really had a oil leak.....PLEASE GIVE SOME GOOD FEEDBACK ON THIS

Post subject: Re: 1997 se bonneville
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:48 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
How long have you had the car, and have said parts been replaced before? While we do recommend replacing these parts, $1,000 is way too much for that work, even at a shop. You can do it yourself for $250, and a mechanic could do it for $500. I've seen it a lot.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:01 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 1998 Bonneville SE?
If I were you I wouldn't worry about gaskets until they fail with the obvious exception being the LIM gaskets if you have the plastic ones since they WILL fail eventually. My friend's mother has an 03 SSEi with 240k miles with the original motor and trans. They did do the LIM gaskets but other than that only accessories like PS pump, moon roof, A/C, etc. have failed on her. Obviously she is very easy going on the car but like many people say, 3800s are overbuilt. If you don't mess with them or abuse them they'll run until they rust to death.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:13 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 bonneville se
Well if the work is done correct the car should run for a few more years........ or should i went out and found a new motor with less miles on it you think???
00Beast wrote:
How long have you had the car, and have said parts been replaced before? While we do recommend replacing these parts, $1,000 is way too much for that work, even at a shop. You can do it yourself for $250, and a mechanic could do it for $500. I've seen it a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: (RIP 10/31/15) 1997 SE
05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
glenn304bonne97 wrote:
The car has 192,000 miles and my mechanic says it's time to change all the seals on the motor, like: the intake manifold gasket lower, thermostat, manifold gasket set, plugs & wires, heater core connector, thermostat housing seal, oil change, and a trans service. He wants to charge me around $1000.00 to do all this. So if I get all that done will the car run good for a few more years? I don't drive it that much......... but I don't understand it because the car never ran hot or anything like that. The antifreeze didn't have a brown or goldish color to it, and I never really had an oil leak.....PLEASE GIVE SOME GOOD FEEDBACK ON THIS

Is there anything actually wrong with your car right now? If there isn't and you don't drive it that much, and you just want to get a few more good years out of it, don't spend money you don't have to. You can replace your own plugs and wires. You can change your own oil or get it done for $30 or less. You can service the trans yourself or pay a shop around $75, or just leave it alone if it isn't leaking or giving you any problems. There's no need at all to replace the thermostat or its gasket seal if it's operating fine and isn't leaking. There's no need to replace your heater core connector if it isn't leaking.

If you don't have any leaks and your car is running fine, the only thing you really need be concerned with is the upper intake manifold, and the UIM/LIM gaskets. Are you losing any coolant? Are there any signs of coolant in your oil when you have the oil changed? Do you know if the UIM/LIM gaskets have ever been changed? Mine failed TWICE on my 97SE before I hit 86,000 miles.

R.I.P. 10/31/15: 1997 SE: "Silver Shadow"
`05 Mercedes S500