It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
Hi all,

I've got a 92 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, been driving it for many years and a repeated problem has been it shutting off at low speeds and around sharp turns. Finally as of a few days ago, it won't even start at all. I'm a total beginner when it comes to anything to do with cars but I'd like to learn and save some money on the repair if it all possible... I took it to a shop in the area who let me know the problem was a bad ignition module, and for them to repair it the total parts & labor would be $428. Is this something I should even consider trying on my own?

I've been trying to look through other threads on this forum and I've watched a few videos of people replacing the ignition module but I'm just not sure if this is something I should try myself since I'm so inexperienced. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
The ignition module is super easy to replace. 6 little bolts hold the coils and module to the mounting bracket, then there's a bolt hiding in the middle of the harness connector holding it to the module.

The stalling on turns will not be related to the ignition module though. There are two causes typical in 92's. The fuel strainer on the bottom of the pump was too small. I've seen it several times. Or, the baffles in the fuel tank could be broken and letting fuel slosh away from the pump. Never seen it myself, but a number of people have reported this problem with their 92's.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:39 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
Thanks! That's already much more information than any mechanic has given me thus far. For the ignition module replacement do you know if there's any sort of diagram I could look at online to show me exactly what to look for? Or would that be in the owner's manual?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 am 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
The ignition control module is underneath the three ignition coils by the battery. Mark the spark plug wires so you get them back on in the right spot. Take the two bolts out of each coil and pull the coils off the module. The module will be free of the mounting bracket at that point, then there's just the bolt in the middle of the connector.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:18 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2002 Buick Park Ave
The bolts on the coils are 5.5 mm. The one holding the harness in is a 7. And the nuts holding the actual icm to the icm bracket are 10 mm. Very easy to do. Make sure to use a thick coating of di-electric grease betweeqn the icm plate and the bracket. It keeps it from corroding and allows it to dissipate heat much more effectively.

yourgrandma wrote:
High

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:22 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 Oldsmobile LSS
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1684

That Techinfo article should make it a little clearer...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:14 am 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Being an SSEi, it'll have the Delco ignition coils, so you won't have to worry about any nuts.