It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:56 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1997 SE Anniversary Edition
DieselMechanic wrote:
Any tips on getting the CV axles out? That's the only thing that slowed me down on the Olds... The rest was cake it seemed.

Autozone rents a big old slide hammer as well as a special attachment cup-type thingie that fits behind the axles to pull them. Slide the cup behind the axle, and a coupla taps on the slide, they're out. Literally 2 minutes per side.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:07 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1997 SE Anniversary Edition
DieselMechanic wrote:
I had a hell of a time figuring out how to get my power steering pump to quit whining. Luckily I found the "Bleed Procedure" and so far all is well.

Please describe this procedure or direct me to a link.

Guess I need to read the entire thread before replying. I see my info on pulled axles came a tad late. #-o

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 Bonneville SE. Green, Gold Crosslaces
Bob Dillon wrote:
DieselMechanic wrote:
I had a hell of a time figuring out how to get my power steering pump to quit whining. Luckily I found the "Bleed Procedure" and so far all is well.

Please describe this procedure or direct me to a link.

Guess I need to read the entire thread before replying. I see my info on pulled axles came a tad late. #-o

No prob. I ended up not pulling the transmission out of the Bonneville... and just cutting the inner CV boots of the Olds and let em fall apart.

I'm not sure this is the one I went by, but basically the same thing.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t652596 ... _3800.html

Basically just jack the wheels off the ground, take the filler lid off and crank the wheel back and forth a few times with the engine off.
Mine was whining so bad it was embaressing... :P Gone now, luckily.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:51 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Well after all that work... I was driving to St. Louis the other day to catch a flight. Floored it to get around a couple cars so I could get into the right lane.
Tach went up to about 5k, kinda bounced around a little then I lost all power, wouldn't pull itself or go about 1,500k. Eased to the side of the road, and it died.
Now it won't even turn over. :facepalm:
No coolant in the radiator. Maybe it hydrolocked? If it did it at that high of RPM though.. I'm thinking I just had my second Series II *shoot* the bed on me in a month... :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:06 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
I had the same happen to me.... Its why I am on motor 3... But with the 3rd I lucked out... the car that the motor was in was owned by a little old lady... They say it most likely never saw more than 3k rpms at most... Supposedly had 60k on the motor... I saw the motor, had the original upper intake and the like... Lower gaskets came off in decent shape... On the 1000 Mile drive home after that motor was installed, I thought the motor was really tight, like it was not run in ever... Took a while for it to loosen up.... 30,000 miles later it still runs like a top...

If you put another motor in it, get a Series III L26 Vin 2, its easiest to look it up as a 06-08 Pontiac GP.... There were some improvements with this motor as well as aluminum gaskets and an aluminum upper intake to prevent any issues with coolant getting into the engine... So the series III's are the cream of the crop...

Last edited by Jrs3800 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:18 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
:withstupid:
06-08 Lucerne, Lacrosse, and GP had the L26.

92 Bonneville SSE | L67/4T60E | 77K mi | Med Slate Grey w/ Two-Tone Grey Int. | Low Miles Time Capsule
92 Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Rusty In Odd Spots
99 Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 276k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Truck for Truck Things and Portable Concert Hall
03 Park Avenue Ultra | 212K mi | White Diamond Met. w/ Shale Int. | Southern Time Capsule
05 Acura RL | 155K mi | Carbon Grey Pearl w/Ebony Int. | The Super-Hooptie Daily

James May wrote:
Hello.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:21 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks for the info. At this point I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it... I bought and sold a vehicle before the Bonneville and made enough money that I have $0 invested in it, and it's a nice car. But at this point I'm inbetween jobs and don't have the money or time to mess with it. I'm thinkin about just stickin it on Craigslist and seeing what I can get out of it. :(
Headed for a job interview today. If it all works out, I'm not too worried about it. I'll just start prowling for another. I really want a '96-99 SSEI or a newer GXP. :)

Wierd, I always really liked Bonnevilles before I had one, but now that I have one I've became obsessed with these things for some reason. LOL Regardless, I will have another.

Last edited by DieselMechanic on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:23 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: .
92 SSE
92 Lumina Z34
99 Tahoe
03 PAU
Sorry to hear, good luck on the interview!
For longevity and price reasons, I would say if you were to try and get either the SSEi or the GXP, I would go with the 96-99 myself. JMHO.

92 Bonneville SSE | L67/4T60E | 77K mi | Med Slate Grey w/ Two-Tone Grey Int. | Low Miles Time Capsule
92 Lumina Z34 | LQ1/4T60E | 177k mi | Torch Red w/Grey Int. | Rusty In Odd Spots
99 Tahoe LT | L31/4L65E | 276k mi | Spiral Grey Metallic w/Grey Int. | Truck for Truck Things and Portable Concert Hall
03 Park Avenue Ultra | 212K mi | White Diamond Met. w/ Shale Int. | Southern Time Capsule
05 Acura RL | 155K mi | Carbon Grey Pearl w/Ebony Int. | The Super-Hooptie Daily

James May wrote:
Hello.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:25 pm 

Can't seem to let go of mine either....

Bought mine with the intention of keeping it 1 year... 15 years later.... I still have my poor beater.. even upgraded it to the F41 Firm Ride & Handling Suspension... and soon to mod the piss out of it just because....lol

It started with an 87 Bonneville.... The the 88 SSE came out... I drove an 89 SSE for a while and absolutely loved that car.... Been into Bonnevilles ever since...

Last edited by Jrs3800 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:30 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

SSEiMan01 wrote:
Sorry to hear, good luck on the interview!
For longevity and price reasons, I would say if you were to try and get either the SSEi or the GXP, I would go with the 96-99 myself. JMHO.

Thanks, I'm hopin it goes well! Fairly certain it will. Definitely be a change of pace for me... I'm in construction and am a mechanic just on the side now.. This is for a Landman position with a natural resources company.

The 96-99 is what I'm leaning towards. Either way, it'll be more of a toy probably because I'll look for a nice low mileage one that'll have a nice garage kept life :P For some reason I've really got my heart set on a 40th Anniversary SSEI. I was second in line to LOW mileage one in Ohio a while back, I'd of owned it had it not been for the first guy getting it. :(

Last edited by DieselMechanic on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:03 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Well I got it back home.

Of course when I flew back into St. Louis, the weather was perfect. Sleet, snow. Just the kind of climate I want to tow it home with a dolly on with my buddy's 2wd pickup. :P

Anyhow, I pulled the plugs out. When I pulled the plug from #1, coolant poured out. The rest weren't so bad. Once I got them out, I turned them over and expected the worse...
Turned over perfectly smooth!! I cranked it for a bit to make sure I got all the coolant out, then drained the oil. I didn't have time today to mess with it, but I'll be taking the upper intake off tomorrow.

Do you guys recommend replacing the LIM gasket while I do the upper? Gotta do some searching on here I guess. IIRC, I read something about the EGR valve hose going bad... Vatozone has the entire UIM and gasget kit for $119. I'm just ready to have it going again.

Last edited by DieselMechanic on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:13 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Didn't we tell you to replace all that before you installed the new motor? If not, shame on us...

Replace the UIM with the ineedparts.com kit, and the LIM gaskets with the aluminum GM units. I've heard of issues with the valley gaskets on the Fel-Pros, not sure if I feel comfortable recommending something I have never used nor have heard completely good things.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:16 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 99 SE
99 Suburban 2500 LT
68 Beetle
Drain down the coolant so that its lower than the LIM. Then I would put some fresh cheap oil in and run it for just a minute or so, but not too long so you don't overheat the heads. This way you can circulate fresh oil to the bearings and flush out any residual coolant in it.

As far as LIM gaskets go do them with your UIM. Get the GM (Ac-Delco) aluminum framed ones or Fel-pro steel framed ones. I would get the APN kit, it's cheaper and it has the steel sleeve around the EGR port in the UIM. This practically makes these UIM's fail proof, as long as you get rid of the dex-kill.

Heres some reading for you.
How to do the UIM and LIM:
http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/fo ... =53&t=3591
Some good info about Dex-kill.
http://www.dex-cool.net/
Heres the UIM that you should seriously think of getting.
http://www.ineedparts.com/index.php?tar ... t_id=17806

Hope this helps you out some. :wink:

1999 Bonneville SE with the heart of a 07 Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:23 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
:stupid:

Just do it.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:08 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks fellas, much appreciated.

Didn't see your posts before I tore into it... Unfortunately, I ended up using the Autozone intake, but I needed it going and outta my buddy's shop as soon as I could.

Actually went pretty smooth, wasn't too bad at all! Glad to have my car going again. I bought some Dollar General brand oil and put in it, ran it for a bit then changed it again. The oil I took out of it beforehand even had very little coolant in it.

Now the only problem I have... Is my lack of power. :( I can floor it doing about 20-25, and it doesn't downshift to 1st. I floor it 50-55 or so, and it'll only go to 3rd. I pulled it down into 2nd manually and it's way down on power. Ugh.. I did clean the throttle body when I had it off. I'm thinking maybe I screwed up the TPS.
Thing is, when the TPS went bad on the Z, it wouldn't downshift at all whenever I would floor it. I had to manually shift it to drive it... And there was no lack of power. Not sure what's causing that... I'm just about ready to stick this thing on Craigslist and start over!

Last edited by DieselMechanic on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:42 pm 

If you still have a TPS on the other motor swap it... If its not downshifting at that low a road speed you may be having a TPS issue... Your Trans pressure tables, Kickdown and upshift tables and fueling are all dependent on the TPS...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I'll try it, but before my intake kicked the bucket, it was workin just fine.
I'm still gonna swap em out tomorrow if I still have it, or pick up a junkyard one.