It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:27 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 93 Bonneville SSEi 3.8S
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6
It's a '93 SSEi.

I just fixed a bad running issue with the car yesterday (bad spark plug wires). The car ran great all day.

This morning (very cold) my wife went to start the car and it wouldn't fire. It cranks fine, but won't fire at all. About an hour later I went down to try and it immediately fired up for me and settled down to a nice idle. I took it for a short drive to recharge the battery. It was running perfectly fine. On my way back home the car engine just stopped.

There was no power loss, no stumbling, no indication at all of a problem, it just stopped. I coasted to a park and the car wouldn't restart. It cranks fine, but won't fire.

My first thought is the security system may be malfunctioning. Sometimes when I'm driving the security light will stay on and the car will occasionally make the "bong" sound for no apparent reason.

Can the security system cause this sort of problem, where the car cranks but won't start, and can it kill the engine while driving? Thanks.

btw - I've done some searching and am going to try and see if disabling the RAC will help. Is there a fuse for it or do I just need to find the module?

Last edited by hobbie2k on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:40 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
It sounds like a problem with the VATS. The normal operation of the security light is to stay on for a 5 second bulb test when you turn the key, then turn off and never come back on while the vehicle is running.

The key has a resistor pellet that the VATS module uses to verify the correct key is being used in the ignition. If the contacts in the ignition are dirty it might not be reading it properly, or they might be bent and have intermittant contact with the key pellet. This is a somewhat common issue and if cleaning it doesn't work or fixing the contacts in the ignition cylinder doesn't work and you can't get a replacement cylinder... there is a bypass: measure the resistance of the key pellet and get a resistor to match the value, then bypass the ignition cylinder contacts by hardwiring the resister in. If that doesnt work, there is a schematic floating around to build a 555 timer circuit that replaces the module entirely.
Either option I recommend having a hidden kill switch to maintain some sort of security system, as bypassing these functions defeats the VATS. I've wired them up to work with an aftermarket security system as well.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:18 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

96 Cougar XR-7 4.6
I was looking at that as a possibility, but in other VATS threads I've got the impression that it won't crank at all if VATS isn't functioning properly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:25 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
VATS won't kill the engine while it is running, and also like you read in another thread, the engine won't even crank with a VATS issue.

Sounds to me like the ground buss. On both the drivers and passengers side if you pull the carpet up just a bit by the front doors you will see a wire harness. There is a bunch of black ground wires that go into a single connector, the ground buss. These are fairly common to corrode and cause issues with the fuel pump, windows, interior lighting, and any other electric powered options.

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:28 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Check this thread out for pics of the location of the ground buss - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30286

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:28 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

96 Cougar XR-7 4.6
That's an idea, because the windshield surround does leak a little so the driver's floor is often moist...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:55 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

96 Cougar XR-7 4.6
The shop thinks it's a bad crank angle sensor, but they can't get the pulley off to replace it. They're saying something about a blocked puller bolt hole...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:18 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Ignore the shop and go after the ground buss. That is free to check out yourself, if it is fine then take it to the shop.

MattStrike wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:08 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

96 Cougar XR-7 4.6
The crank angle sensor is fine. Fortunately the shop isn't charging me for the time they spent working on that. They put a new ICM in and it works fine now. But they want $220 for the part. I'm wondering how hard it is to replace the ICM myself if I can find a cheaper one?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:28 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

ICM is super easy to replace, 6 5.5mm screws hold the coils on it and one bolt through the electrical harness connector.

I still say it will be worth while to look into the ground buss. This is a very common problem for the '92 - '99 Bonneville, and I have experienced it myself with my old '93 SSEi as well as my sisters '93 SSE.

MattStrike wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:29 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

96 Cougar XR-7 4.6
I am definitely going to check out the bus, even if it's not causing this specific problem. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:30 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

No problem. Also for the ICM, make sure you use new dielectric grease on the bottom of it.

MattStrike wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:18 am 
SE Member
SE Member

96 Cougar XR-7 4.6
So I picked up a used ICM off a running '97 SSE (parts numbers were the same on Rock Auto). As it happens, the car was running when I picked it up from the shop, so I drove it home, and put the used ICM in.

The car wouldn't start.

So I put the original ICM back in and the car fired right up. I drove it around all day and it ran great. I was hoping it just turned out to be a bad connection. This was about a week ago. I went back out to start it today and it won't start again with either ICM.

I didn't know about the dielectric grease till I saw your response today, could that be causing this issue? I was actually thinking before of using some on the coil connectors to try and improve the connection...

Also I just noticed that someone stole my front license plate sometime this week...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:30 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Have you checked out the ground buss yet?

The grease wouldn't cause a run, no run, run issue. It would run until the ICM overheated (unlikely this time of year) then be totally fried and never run again on that ICM or only run on two or four cylinders.

MattStrike wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:48 am 
SE Member
SE Member

96 Cougar XR-7 4.6
yeah, i checked the ground buss and it's fine. Shiny, no corrosion, hooked solidly together...

...maybe I fried the ICM when I installed it without grease...

Last edited by hobbie2k on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:07 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

I highly doubt it. Not saying it isn't possible, but I doubt it.

I had a similar issue with my old '93 SSEi and it took me about two months to track down my issue. I had three known good ICMs (one only fired four cylinders / two coil packs, but I used it for testing purposes) it would randomly run or not run on each of the three ICMs at any given time. My issue took me so long to find as it was a shorted out wire on the back side of the engine, it was a pink / black wire that was factory spliced in about three or four different spots to deliver power to multiple sensors, including the oil pressure sensor and the ICM. What happened with mine is a clamp that was supposed to hold the wire loom to the back of the engine had slipped down the loom and wore through the insulation on that wire just enough to short it out, yet it didn't pop the fuse right away.

I tried replacing the crank sensor as I thought for sure that was it, then the cam sensor, then went after the PCM, then the ICM, then found the shorted wire finally after the fuse finally started blowing.

Not saying this is your issue, but it could be something similar. There are a couple fuses on the passenger side of the dash, right above the kick panel under the dash. Remove that panel and check to make sure all the fuses are good.

MattStrike wrote:

Last edited by crash93ssei on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:26 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Check this thread out, this is from back when my '93 SSEi died on me randomly and then continued to have start / no start issues with four different ICMs.

There is a lot of useful information in there that very well could help you find your problem.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2371

MattStrike wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:47 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Dielectric grease won't 'fry' anything. VATS won't allow the car to even crank. There are two ground busses. Did you check them on both sides of the car?

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:46 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

96 Cougar XR-7 4.6
I looked up that thread, Crash, and there is a lot of good stuff in there.

I've checked both ground busses, both are clean and tight. I've checked all the fuses, including #6 and all the ones under the hood and in the passenger footwell and all are good. I felt up the wires running back along the ICM and didn't feel anything odd, but I can't start pulling things apart because I'm in an apartment parking lot, and just having your hood up can get you in trouble...

There does seem to be a little corrosion on the ICM mount, which I intend to clean up, but I need to buy a wire brush, and some dielectric grease and I am completely broke right now. What's the best way to get it good and clean?

I would hope that the shop had tested current to the ICM and found it fine, but I don't have a voltmeter so I can't confirm it myself...

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, guys. But I'm beginning to think I should just cut my losses and scrap the car. Too bad because it's pretty much rust-free (rare in this area) and ran great before this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:38 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

96 Cougar XR-7 4.6
I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but I got the Bonneville started today.

I basically pulled the ICM, backing plate, and bracket out of the engine. Cleaned them all real good, getting off all the corrosion, dirt and grease. Then (after letting them dry) put some di-electric grease in between the bracket and backing plate, the backing plate and ICM, and on the coil terminals. Put it all back together (cleaning off and putting grease on the three ground wires and any part that touches the block), jumped the battery, and she fired right up.

I took it around the block a couple times, then let it idle for about half an hour and it ran fine. So, after the engine cools again, I'm going to try and start it up again (this isn't the first time it seemed fixed). If it starts and runs good for a while then I'll call it fixed.

I'm guessing that when the spark plug cables were replaced, either some dirt fell in between the ICM and backing plate, or maybe the parts were shifted just enough to cause a loss of ground and that's why it wasn't working...

Thanks again for your help.