It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: car wont start
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:09 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1996 SSe
:dontknow: Have a 96 Bonneville SSE. It had been having a few problems the last few months where it felt like it didnt want to go.Almost like it wasnt getting enough gas.No white smoke,no funky smells,nothing like that.It was burning through a ton of gas though.Hubby and I figured it was the fuel filter or pump and due to shortage of funds I was just trying to eek her out until Christmas until I could get the car into the mechanics.The Wednesday before Christmas on the way to work it started acting crazy.It was running really rough,I felt like it was going to stall and at times I would almost have to floor the gas pedal to get it to go.I was able to get it home.My brother came over a week later and tried to jump it because Ive had a history with this car of during the winter it NEVER wants to start and has to be jumped daily.He also hooked it up to the coder which said "cylinder misfire".It didnt tell him which one and he didnt try to find out which one.Fast forward to yesterday.We bought new spark plugs and new plug wires because my genius of a brother said thats probably what it was.Son in law installed those and the battery was jumped numerous times by numerous cars and even at Autozone tonight.Have a brand spankin new Interstate battery so I know its not that.It will turn over but wont start and the more you try to start it,eventually it just goes dead altogether and just clicks.I know nothing about vehicles but Son in law is saying blown head gasket because of dirt on spark plugs and condensation under oil cap,yada,yada.I just dont feel like thats what it is.Please help.Ive gone two weeks without my Bonny and I want her back!I dont know what else to do but I so want to believe still thats its the fuel pump or filter but he didnt even check them and hubby is not mechanically inclined but said he will try to figure it out tomorrow because we are at wits end.I drive 300+ miles a week for work and driving his truck is killing me! ANd his truck is starting to act the same way my car did which makes me wonder even more about the fuel filter.Can anyone give us some ideas

Post subject: Re: car wont start
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:39 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
When the plugs and wires were changed, were they connected in the correct places. Do not go by the numbers on the coils, if a coil has ever been changed, it might not be in the same place (they are interchangeable). I will look for the diagram showing the correct placement.

When you first get into the car, leave the door open and turn the key to the run position. Listen towards the rear of the car for a hum from the fuel pump. If you hear the hum, that is the fuel pump pressurizing the system. It would also be a good idea to borrow/rent a fuel pressure gauge and check it.

Also take a good look at the battery cables. Make sure they are clean and not corroded. These cars are also prone to corrosion under the insulation so you will want to peel back an inch or two to make sure they are clean. Make sure you wrap them up with some electrical tape to cover any bare cable.

Post subject: Re: car wont start
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:26 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 98 SE-95 Lesabre-89 SE 65 Falcon HT
If you “jumped it at Autozone tonight” sounds like it starts eventually I would look at fuel pressure to start with then sensors - TPS ?

1995 LeSabre LTD
1998 GMC Sierra 4x4
others