It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: transmission fluid
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:34 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 1996 se
Check my transmission fluid today, is it normal for it to have like a burned up rubber smell? Transmission fluid looks clean, but i did not see any burn residue on the dip stick. Is it also normal for it to get darker after couple months after changing it because its not the same color as the new fluid in the bottle. But it shifts fine though

Post subject: Re: transmission fluid
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:24 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
I'd change it again, with a new filter, and add some Lucas Trans Fix. Burned smell = bad.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:37 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1997 SE Anniversary Edition
00Beast wrote:
I'd change it again, with a new filter, and add some Lucas Trans Fix. Burned smell = bad.

Yup. Change it again, and if that doesn't work and you don't feel like changing or rebuilding the trans, sell it off. It's dying.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:28 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Hey thanks, had. Mechanic look at it, had no burning smell, the color came from when it was mix with the old burnt fluid with the previous owner had in it. I guess their was still old fluid in the converter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:30 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 Lesabre Limited, 2008 Cobalt, 2014 Malibu
xvr843 wrote:
Hey thanks, had. Mechanic look at it, had no burning smell, the color came from when it was mix with the old burnt fluid with the previous owner had in it. I guess their was still old fluid in the converter.

We don't have any info on how many miles on the car and at what intervals the changes were made?

When the pan is dropped, only 6 quarts comes out. I believe there are 13 quarts in the trans. I suggest buying a Harbor Freight hand pump (about $9-10, often on sale) for removing fluid. Drive it 5000 miles, suck out 6 quarts, put in 6 new quarts. Repeat once more, if you feel the color is not new enough. I'm assuming the filter was replaced at the change mentioned in the post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:04 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Filter was replace, I going to have it change this week again. It's really not that dirty, just I though it was. He told me the odor is normal, but its not burnt because it was bright enough for you to read the letters on the dip stick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:43 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
imidazol97 wrote:
xvr843 wrote:

We don't have any info on how many miles on the car and at what intervals the changes were made?

When the pan is dropped, only 6 quarts comes out. I believe there are 13 quarts in the trans. I suggest buying a Harbor Freight hand pump (about $9-10, often on sale) for removing fluid. Drive it 5000 miles, suck out 6 quarts, put in 6 new quarts. Repeat once more, if you feel the color is not new enough. I'm assuming the filter was replaced at the change mentioned in the post.

I second that approach. Although you don't need to wait 5k miles for new fluid. Drive it around the block to warm up the fluid, pump out the 6 quarts in the pan, and add in 6 quarts of new ATF.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:52 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Speaking from personal experience:

You don't "put in" burned fluid. You accrue it from improper or downright negligent maintenance and abuse. The trans fluid in my 03 was GRAY when I bought it, I did a pan drop and filter days after I got it, then did another along with a shift kit a few months later, set it down off the lift and I had no reverse. $2400 later I had a brand new transmission and a cardboard box full of burned up clutches, a 4th gear hub that was probably 1500 miles from death, a broken reverse band and a bunch of other hard parts that don't normally need replacing during an overhaul. If your transmission shifts smoothly and lasts another 10k+, thank your lucky stars, because you caught it before it was too late and did the necessary fluid changes to ensure a longer life.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:58 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Thanks for your help, like I said its not burnt just the regular smell, when I rub the dip stick on my finger it looks dark burgandy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:26 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 Lesabre Limited, 2008 Cobalt, 2014 Malibu
LeSabre in Buffalo wrote:
I second that approach. Although you don't need to wait 5k miles for new fluid. Drive it around the block to warm up the fluid, pump out the 6 quarts in the pan, and add in 6 quarts of new ATF.

I agree that can be done. My logic is that if there is a lot of age on the original fluid, changing to lots of cleaners in the new fluid at a high concentration might cause problems by cleaning too much too fast. So some time in between adding more fresh, active fluid gives time for the fluid in the clutch material to be replaced with fresh fluid and time for the slightly higher concentration of cleaners to move "gunk."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:48 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
If the transmission is fine, new fluid all at once won't harm it. If it's on its way out, then it'll go out soon, new fluid or not.

Folks tend to do new fluid reactively, instead of proactively. They wait for problems to happen then band-aid it with new fluid instead of changing fluid regularly to prevent problems.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:42 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Just took it to a transmission shop, fluid is fine guy wipe the fluid in.his and and it look like blood, so it was fine. He says if it brown and runs like water, the fluid is on its way out

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

If it's brown the TRANS is on its way out.

Sirius wrote: