It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:58 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: '97 SSEi
I'm (trouble shoot wise) handicapped so please help me out here. I am in Florida and my wife has the Bonne in PA. She is not technical and frankly her English tech. speak is lacking. So I didn't know what to make of it when she told me the SSEi heads up is saying check gauges and it's ringing bells and the check engine light was on. I had a very dear friend (one with a OBD II) stop by to have a look.
Here's the facts:
1. Check gauges illuminates on the HUD (but all gauges appear ok)
2. There was no code on the OBD
3. The chime rings 3x every minute or so
4. The engine icon on the DIC is illuminated but not blinking.
5. Actually a more detailed description suggests that the check gauges light goes on and off and the engine icon illuminates with the check gauges and that is when the Chimes ring. Anyone have any idea what all of this means? I would check the manual but it's 1000 miles away. And I miss my bonne! :sad: At least the Camaro is also fun to drive.
PS: I don't have the manual with me or I'd look into that to see what it says about the engine icon. The book is in the car, not helping me much from here. According to someone who looked it wasn't in there but doesn't it "have to be"?

So the original post was from 12/11/11 and now it's 1/20/12, BUT I wasn't in the area until 12/20, then busy with Holiday's and it's cold and the car hasn't received a LOT of attention since then. Meanwhile you'll see lower in the post that I looked at a lot and it's being a real hassle nailing this one down. As of 1/20/11 I replaced coil packs and the battery and tested some other things and I' don't think it's resolved. Just when I think it's all better, it'll chime at me again, and then chime again and again and again and then stop! (>o<)!! I'm leaving the area again on Monday so if it isn't corrected then, there will be another long pause in working on this. When I do get it fully resolved I'll edit the lead post so others won't need to see the whole process to know how it gets fixed (but I'm sure we'll leave the story here anyway)

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

Last edited by jonnevilleSSEi on Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:20 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Check all fluid levels. Including radiator level UNDER THE CAP, not just the overflow.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:28 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1999 SSEi
1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
It could be coolant temp/level, oil pressure, or voltage(alternator). There is a low coolant light that should come on if it low. If the oil pressure gauge looks "normal", I would get the alternator and battery checked.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:37 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

sonoma_zr2 wrote:
It could be coolant temp/level, oil pressure, or voltage(alternator). There is a low coolant light that should come on if it low. If the oil pressure gauge looks "normal", I would get the alternator and battery checked.
willwren wrote:
Check all fluid levels. Including radiator level UNDER THE CAP, not just the overflow.

I'll need to make some long distance arrangements to try and handle those. What confuses me is that none of the other lights are on and none of the gauges indicate a problem. If it was low oil I've seen that light before. As far as coolant if the engine is running cool, then what is the issue? I will look at all of those items though it may be weeks before I can get to it. It just appears like that one lit icon should either be thorwing a code or be paired with other warning lamps or gauge positions. Does the manual indicate specifically what the engine icon within the DIC is intended to suggest?

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:17 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
That's the check engine light.

You say the engine is running "cool", it could be running too cold and throwing a P0128 code because the engine isn't warming up fast enough. Have her take it to AutoZone and scan for codes, your friend's scanner may not be able to read the car for whatever reason.

If the coolant is low, there is a sensor that feeds back and tells you that it's low.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:21 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1999 SSEi
1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
here you go

Attachments:
99 dic warning-status message list.jpg
99 dic warning-status message list.jpg [ 277 KiB | Viewed 3591 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:21 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Check your washer fluid, coolant, and oil for proper level. Yes, even the washer fluid level will annoy you with a chime.

Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:36 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Thanks for the chart, now it's obvious, the engine icon illuminates for most fluid related things. (hence your suggestions to check the fluids) Probably cool enough up there now that low coolant isn't an immediate problem but does register. etc. Also seems to illuminate for other things like electrical or misc. mechanical issues. I get it, thanks gents.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:11 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Can you get a pic of the display? If it's washer fluid, the yellow line at the windshield illuminates and it chimes.

If it's coolant, it should say LOW COOLANT and chime. It's really not hard to figure out. If the coolant is warning when it's not low, simply unplug the sensor in the radiator. The warning and chime won't come back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:38 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

So I'm finally back up North to address the issues. When I first returned and drve the car I saw that the Check Gages with the engine icon would illuminate when I first started the car and for about 2 minutes into the drive. It was like this:

Start engine and light goes on, in about 30 seconds of driving, light goes off, then 10 seconds later, back on and chimes, then 20 seconds later, goes off again, repeats that process with unpredictable but similar intervals a couple more times then silences. I hadn't been able to get anyone to really diagnose it so one easy thing was to check the coolant which appeared to be slightly low. Took care of that and it actually seemed to slightly improve but was still annoying but not much.

In my desire for a "Perfect SSEi" (Still far off and often 1 step forward is followed by two back) I still wanted to fix it. I did an OBD test at one point which suggested at one time a misfire on "4" then a random misfire. Other times after resetting but still seeing wacky behavior of the DIC I'd get no codes at all. The friend who sold me the car asked if I'd ever changed the Ignition coils which I had not and at 15 years of age and 100,000 miles that seemed logical. I'd also noticed last night when driving that the flashing and chiming was getting more persistent, lasting longer into the drive, now more like 7 minutes into the drive. I changed the coils but now the symptoms are going longer than before and it's rapidly getting worse. I intend to check my OBD reader tomorrow to see if any codes appear.

I'm not sure how to check the alternator, I suppose I'll need a mechanic to look at that unless you think the OBD should indicate if that is the issue. The gages all seem normal though one issue is the Fuel gage and here is what that is doing. When the tank is above 1/4 full, the gage seems accurate. Once it goes below 3/16 it goes direct to "E" (below the red area), the fuel icon in the HUD illuminates, the check gages illuminates and the DIC tank illuminates in yellow. If the gas sensor is going which isn't unlikely in these year GM cars it could be related to this. Note in the image that the washer fluid and Lamp Monitor have been on since I bought the car last year and were never an issue, no chimes, no check gages lamps. If it weren't for the chimes it would just be somewhat annoying to have check gages lighting on and off but with a chime every time it's getting unnerving QUICK. Like SUPERcharged quick!

One other detail, the idiot light cluster to the above left of the DIC also has a separate check engine light (orange) which briefly illuminates when starting the engine (as it should and is normal) I believe there is a difference between the check gages and the engine icon on the DIC as opposed to the orange "check engine" light in the cluster. Can anyone verify that? I'm feeling that this may be more likely a sensor than an engine or more mechanically serious event.

signed: "getting annoyed at stupid chimes" - thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:10 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Just keeping this alive. I had a real nice short drive this morning where the lamp went out and didn't come back on and thought "maybe the new cold DID help after all" until I was driving home and the chiming (on a 10 minute, and notably short drive) just kept repeating the whole time. This is some annoying stuff! WHY would GM engineer a car to even be able to do that? I'll re-run the OBD tomorrow, hope I can come up with something but not feeling good. Anyone even know whether a weak fuel level sensor would do this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:00 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

One more time here (please Obi Bon Kenobi, you're the only one who can help!) I did the OBD II test yesterday before taking her out and no codes, made sure to erase the memory went for a drive, (about 10 minute store run) the alert was well behaved. Parked, shopped, restarted, the light was flashing and chiming the whole drive home (sigh) I'd be happy now if it would just stay lit and stop chiming on and off. I'm guessing if I take a longer road trip it may silence after 10 minutes but taking a long drive (hour or more) if it keeps going on and off would drive me NUTS! Anyway, when I got back home I ran the ODB II again but there are no codes. I'm guessing Mr. Goodwrench could tell me what the problem was but it will probably cost $100 just for them to look and if it's serious could be a $700 fuel pump or ?? Any assistance from the gallery would be highly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:44 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Hey!!! I thought I was in the club guys? I have an SSEi! What more do I need to do? Doesn't someone have an opinion on this? Even an expert "It could be anything" would let me know I should just accept it or go pay Mr. Goodwrench if I need it resolved. Two details to add. It seems to go away more quickly in warmer weather but that could be pure coincidence. One day a couple of weeks ago a mechanic had attached a high quality ODB reader and told me one of the codes he was was "Engine Hot Lamp". I'm going to look around for that in the site. If anyone knows anything about an Engine Hot Lamp perhaps that means something and perhaps you could help me out with some insight or a link? I'll go look around for that. Any feedback would be helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:56 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

I can't shine any light on it, but I will give you a free bump, lol.

Never heard of an "Engine Hot Lamp" code, only thing I can think of would be an idiot light that says "ENGINE HOT" when you've gone over a certain temp. Not sure what the code he saw would indicate. Next time if you can, get the code number and the description right off the scanner eg: P0300 Engine Random Misfire. Not a code you're experiencing, but you get what I mean.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:41 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

I do, was getting a (I think) P0040 which was a misfire on 4, then sometimes a random misfire. Already had done wires and plugs when I first picked up the car, so I just did new ignition coils which I was hoping would resolve it. As I mentioned elsewhere it appears I might be using up my luck just having stayed alive through high school and early college when I was clearly pushing said luck, so the result (too) many years later, is that I have this stupid chime to deal with. Now even with that "Check Gages" and the chime I haven't been able to get any code from the OBD. Not altogether a bad thing but it would be nice to know what type of sensor is causing this and from where. Maybe it will be like some of the other issues I've had and will morph into something else. Seems to have some symptoms that show up, then disappear forever, my Regal did that also.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

P0304 would be a #4 misfire, FWIW.

Is your low coolant light on? Have you unplugged that sensor?

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:13 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

That's what I meant by ("I think") I knew what the code meant but didn't recall the code. Coolant level looks fine and coolant gage is holding steady around 200° which is straight up normal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:14 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Have you done anything with the sensor in the radiator? They can fail, causing the DIC to freak out. Unplug it and forget about it.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:19 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

not yet, sounds like one worth trying!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:35 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: '92 Bonneville SSE
first you got a malfunction with the Lamp Monitor (should only say 'Lamp Monitor' when a bulb is out and the specific bulb displayed in text as well as its location on the vehicle MSD)

Secondly the little 'engine' light is NOT a check engine lamp. there is a separate 'Service Engine Soon' light in the warning lights to the left of the DIC (there's about 12 placeholders, the SES light is top left, first light in the bunch) the engine icon should only display for low oil, low coolant, and other fluid issues. Washer Fluid should illuminate the windshield in the MSD. 'Check Gauges' may or may not accompany the engine icon, depends on the gauge. a low fuel warning will display 'check gauges' without the engine icon and a low fuel symbol will show in the HUD. an overheating engine, overvolting/undervolting alternator, and insufficient oil pressure reading will also cause 'check gauges' and light the engine icon.

in the '70s, cars with carbs would have an 'engine' or 'check engine' lamp to take the place of having an oil, alt, and temp gauge. then it was meant to tell you to literally check under the hood for a problem, but was no specific. it was the first light known as a 'Malfunction/Trouble lamp'

the little icon of an engine on our DIC's MSD is basically that same lamp. not related to the On-Board Diagnostics

Last edited by nickdalzell1 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.