It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:17 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 1988 sse - 80,000 on the clock and my first car...

1995 se wit da sle package- 120,000 on the clock and ticking stronger then ever...
i rember when i first bought the car about 6 yrs ago one of the first things i had to replace was the headlight switch..

i cant rember if i bought it new or used, but either way i dont believe it has warranty if it was bought new since its a electrical part..

anyway my wife has been driving the car for work for the past few months and the car has not been driven in nite time at all execpt by me sometimes to make a late nite snack run or something.

today at 930pm i was driving back from a big time rush concert with my daughter and i realized my headlights were not on. i hit the switch and still nothing. i then tried the high beams and they only came on for a quick second while i clicked the lever back then they went right off. i then clicked the high beam lever again and the high beams came on and off again. so i had to drive home holding my switch in order to keep the high beams on. it was a 15 min drive so not to bad..lmfao..

anyway i got home and noticed that my fog light, brake lights and parking and corner lights all worked fine. even the trun signals. i just have no headlights or high beams..

im leaning towards the darn headlight switch. but just incase im wrong, any other ideas ?

oh and yes i tried changing the light bulbs. still nothing.. thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:55 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Daily Driver: 2011 Impala LT
Weekender: '95 Aurora
Have you checked the fuses? I'd try that first, just to eliminate the obvious stuff. Might also be a bad ground. Which Bonne is this? the '88 model or the '95. Headlight switches were notorious for melting on the '95 models. A visual inspection will tell you whether that's the problem. The prescribed solution is to get a switch and connector from a '96-'99 model. I did this to my '95 last fall and it's been working great ever since. My donor switch and connector came off of a '97 SSE. It was about a 30-minute job to connect all the wires.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:27 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
95's are notorious for melting the switch and connector. Pull it out to verify.

If it's melted, get a switch and connector from a 97, and splice in the connector pin by pin, ignoring the wire color differences. This is a permanent fix. If you use 95 parts, it will do it again.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

1995 se wit da sle package- 120,000 on the clock and ticking stronger then ever...
thanks, ill be hittin the junk yard today i guess. and looking for a 97.. would a 96 work ? or is 96 same as 95.?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:06 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Maybe you should start with pulling your existing switch and checking it first.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:34 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

willwren wrote:
Maybe you should start with pulling your existing switch and checking it first.

i did just that, didnt see anything wrong at all, so i checked all fuses and they checked out good. so i went to junk yard and got 2 switched. got one from a 95 and one from a 97. tried the one from the 95 first, no luck still had no headlights. then i cut off the clip and wired on the switch from the 97 and turned car on and still no headlights or high beams..

now im stumped and have no clue what to do next. i took known working headlights out my 95 suburban which are also 9006 and they still did not workl. so i no its not the bulbs. fog lights do work fine and high beams only work for a quick second while you flick the switch but go right off.

what now, any idea;s. thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:41 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 99 SE
99 Suburban 2500 LT
68 Beetle
You checked all the fuses right?

Have you verified that you aren't getting power to the headlight lamps? You could check with a meter to see if you have power and ground at the socket, or if you've lost the ground some where along the way.

1999 Bonneville SE with the heart of a 07 Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:52 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

yes i checked all of the fuses. even the driving light 60 amp fuse under the hood.

but can anyone tell me exactly where the relay for the headlights and high beams is located ? thanks

im also only gettin 4 volts at the headlight bulb connector with car running and headlights turned on.

Last edited by 88bonnsse on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:08 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

88bonnsse wrote:
yes i checked all of the fuses. even the driving light 60 amp fuse under the hood.

but can anyone tell me exactly where the relay for the headlights and high beams is located ? thanks

im also only gettin 4 volts at the headlight bulb connector with car running and headlights turned on.

anyone no if there is a relay for headlights or where its located ? maybe i got dupped with 2 bad switches...?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

ok so after some investagation, i discovered its the high beam/ turn signal switch that is bad. when i wiggle it and pull it all the back untill it feels like its gona break, then the headlights n high beams both work.. i managed to get the headlights to work for 3 days by playing with the switch but now the headlights dont work and the high beams work.. go figure..

can anybody tell me how to take off and swap the turn signal/ high beam lever ? i have never messed with one of these before.. thanks guys..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:23 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 Bonneville SE
Hey, I would hope that you have figured this out by now, but just in case, my 98 went through similar problems.
First my ignition switch went bad, not the cylinder, the switch. Well when I bought and replaced it, the high beam switch is wired to the ignition switch, so it all comes as one unit. About a month later my drl's started randomly working, and then they would not shut off when car was shut off. I had to disconnect battery. I actually switched my hi's and lo's, so I could use hi's as my lo beams.

Anyway, eventually my brights would not turn off/on. So after messing with it for a few minutes, I drop the steering column, and start investigating. I realize that the lever that clicks the hi's on, was no longer clicking them on or off. Thankfully I did not throw original ignition/hi beam switch out. I cut the original hi beam switch off, cut new hi beam switch off, ( which by the way the new one was very light duty compared to original) wired it together, and it worked like a charm. This ALSO solved my DRL problems, so something in that switch has something to do with the DRLS.

Hope this helps you or somebody that experiences this problem.

Mike

1995 Bonneville
My first Bonneville, but sold long ago
1970 Bonneville 455

Last edited by stompin69 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.