It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: '97 SSEi
My DIC has displayed these two items since I bought the car this past winter. I was told that the most likely fix on the washer fluid is the sensor in the tank. Since those parts appear to be permanently mounted together I believe the easiest thing is to replace the tank (local yard has for $30 used). I just realized (when a lamp blew out and the system didn't alert me) that it is also letting me know my lamp monitor sensor is no longer functioning. (I thought it was just indicating that it WAS a lamp monitor) I'm guessing GM has a part for that and that new may be best for a lamp sensor. Any suggestions on these are very welcome.

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

Last edited by jonnevilleSSEi on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:09 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

So any opinions on this? New Lamp Sensor? Any idea where that is or if it's minor or major $? What about the washer fluid tank? Anything else I might look at or test to confirm I'm looking at the right thing?

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
I was thinking the LAMP MONITOR was always lit. No? I don't think there is a centralized lamp sensor. Rather there is an additional wire that checks for continuity or resistance through the bulb, and if it's not right, the dash lights up. What bulb burned out that it didn't tell you?

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:15 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Driver side headlamp burnt out and no additional info was provided. I think I recall that below the lettering for LAMP MONITOR it has the ability to indicate specific lamps. In which case, maybe LAMP MONITOR is intended to always illuminate. Maybe there is a lamp out somewhere, doesn't appear to be tail or headlamp. Does anyone know for a fact that should always be illuminated? If so it's the only item that I think would always be lit and in yellow. I was guessing that Yellow is an alert and blue provides basic info and shows you the overhead view of our Bonne's cruisin' America's highways (or perhaps parked with a door ajar or thirsty fuel compartment).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:36 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1999 SSEi
1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
Lamp monitor is not lighted by default. Here is how to replace the module.

Attachments:
99 lamp monitor replacement.jpg
99 lamp monitor replacement.jpg [ 115.7 KiB | Viewed 3032 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:38 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
Make sure there are no burnt out lamps first. There are 2 lamps on the back license plate also.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:58 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

ok, so it looks like:
1. When a lamp burns out "Lamp Monitor" illuminates.
2. It allegedly monitors all exterior lamps so it could be one of the minor ones "shorting the circuit." and since this isn't a "real cadillac" it isn't specific as to which lamp is out, just one of them.
3. If no lamps are out then it is (yet this seems unlikely) probably the module illustrated in what you sent (Thank you!)
4. If I need to replace that I need to take the dashboard apart to get behind the instrument panel (sigh). aka: bit of a project there.
Seems like a pretty solid state part so I'll hope that this is a maintenance item I can find (maybe the third brake light or other brake lamp) I'll need an assistant to test that. I will also check around the license area. Anyone know how much the module might set me back?
PS: How NICE of them to place the module somewhere it can easily be changed. :banghead:

Last edited by jonnevilleSSEi on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
No, it will trigger a light saying headlight or taillight, it just appears that your module is bad so it has NFC what's going on.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
You'd normally get head or tail lamp or brake lamp, and a yellow bar will show up in the area above or below the car. Each and every bulb is not monitored. I don't think the turn signals or foglights are, but you'd get a fast blinker if a turn signal was out. And I want to say that the backup bulbs or something else isn't monitored in the rear, maybe it's the third brake light.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:53 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
FSM is a great help here :roll:

Attachments:
99 dic messages1.jpg
99 dic messages1.jpg [ 304.03 KiB | Viewed 3014 times ]
99 dic messages2.jpg
99 dic messages2.jpg [ 249.67 KiB | Viewed 3014 times ]
99 dic messages3.jpg
99 dic messages3.jpg [ 69.77 KiB | Viewed 3014 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:05 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

AWESOME post, looks like I need to price out the lamp monitor and may want to review removal of the instrument panel first (which is something I wanted to do anyway...) Very informative page from FSM (what is this FSM?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:08 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
Factory Service Manual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

sonoma_zr2 wrote:
Factory Service Manual

Sometimes I feel so,.. you know,.."uninformed". I guess by hanging out in circles like this one we remedy that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:58 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

WHOA!!!
I just looked up the part on RockAuto. Maybe I'm crazy but if that is AC Delco part# 12362231 the Module Kit, Adaptive Lamp Monitor it's: $362.79.
:btruestory:
Now, I may "Think it's Cadillac" but unless I'm mistaken I *was* considering the inconvenience of having to check my lamps to verify they are on. I guess that's simply what I will have to do. It looks like a fairly robust part so I guess there is a lot going on there, perhaps patents and stuff, perhaps a heavy duty and no longer in production electrical item which will become rarer as time marches on. If anyone knows of a reseller who would part with something like that pre-owned at a steeeeeeeep discount from new I'll reconsider otherwise. I'll be reading the words LAMP MONITOR in their glowing illuminated state for a while.
[-(

Last edited by jonnevilleSSEi on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
Junkyard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
:stupid:

They don't go out that often, and most JY's have some sort of warranty in case it's bad.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:02 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
I don't even recall anyone having a bad one. But on the other hand, I never knew a SIR coil (clockspring) going out. Well, guess what! Mine did. My steering wheel controls never did work. Didn't think anything of it when I got the car, just replace the fuse or controls and bang!, easy fix. Nope. I would expect the lamp monitor to go bad in my car, you probably just have a bad bulb somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:34 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

OK, so considering my budget and time available right now, that project is way back burner. I can pretend it's supposed to be that way (indicating not that there is a problem with, but that there IS a lamp monitor) I'm only fooling myself anyway. On to the wiper. I bought a used tank yesterday which also apparently had a defective level sensor. It's a VERY mechanical float based sensor and I had two thoughts on it. Question is what would You do?
1. Should I bother cleaning it up? Likely it's just corrosion somewhere or soap gumming up the electrical connection. A few minutes in hot water may be enough to make it work (yeah, worth trying, OK, answered my own question :) ,

2. If that doesn't work, my guess is that when the float rises it breaks the connection and the lamp is OFF. It could be the opposite. Depending on how this is wired, it may be easy to solder the 2 lines in/out and fool it to turn out that LED.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:45 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
Your not going to like this. Chances of 2 fluid level sensors bad are slim. The fsm says:

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Connect a scan tool.
Select the SBM Low Washer Fluid Input menu.
Does the Lower Washer Fluid Input data match the DIC Warning message?

If it doesn't, replace the instrument panel.

Trying to find a schematic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

1997 SSEi-Resting-353K
Found it. Yes, if you just unplug the level switch it will create an "open" condition. Closed throws a light.

Attachments:
99 windsheild washer indicator.jpg
99 windsheild washer indicator.jpg [ 152.83 KiB | Viewed 2959 times ]