It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:09 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: NEW 99SSEi
Daughter-97SEw/SLE Opt
98SSEi Wrecked
Posting after reading this... http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/fo ... =8&t=24130

I replaced my fuel filter this past weekend, relieved pressure thru schreider valve with a rag and it caught most of it...

My problem is with the plastic fuel line from the tank to the filter. I didn't loosen the end at the tank, but when I put the line back on the new filter and turned the key, it was spewing gas like crazy from the tank end of that line.
Have any of you had this happen? I took the line back off (both ends), cleaned the ends, put it back and still leaked...after working it several times, I finally got it to stop, mostly, it still dribbles a little. I searched all the auto parts and no one makes a replacement line...just repair kits...which means I'd have to buy 2 kits to make 1 new line...
I have not checked the dealer yet. Does anyone know if they still stock this line at the dealer?
Or do they make just an O-ring kit? I'm sure that that is the culprit...the line itself is good...no cracks or cuts of any kind. and the snap connectors are still in good shape.

I also replaced the front tranny mount...the rubber split completely in two...happened in just the past couple weeks...weird thing is, because of the high gas prices, I have not dogged it any...so not sure why it split....it was still in fine shape when I removed the engine a couple summers ago because of the spun #1 rod...and I regularly inspect these things...

Thanks for any comments...

99 SSEi Galaxy Silver w/Dark Pewter Leather, Bought Aug. '08 w/75,000 mi. Bose Sunroof Michelins 35% Charcoal Tint(max. legal) Gutted Airbox w/K&N Drop-in 180Deg. Drilled Stat. Flushed Dex-Col Castrol Edge 10W30 w/PureOne Dual Chromed-Stainless Exhaust Tips Avital - Avistart 5303 Remote Start w/Security SilverStar Ultra's HL Rebuilt Motor w/New Crank & L32 Powdered Metal Connecting Rods
ImageImage

Daughter's 97 SE w/SLE White w/Dark Pewter Leather Bought Apr '06 w/153,000 mi. AM/FM/CD w/ 7-Band EQ Gutted Airbox w/K&N Drop-in
180Deg. Drilled Stat. Flushed Dex-Col Valvoline Max Life 10W40 w/Pure One Avital - Avistart 4300 Remote Start w/Security

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:40 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
You'll need O-ring picks and some packages of Viton O-rings. I replaced just the O-rings after changing the fuel filter caused the same problem you are facing. There are 2 O-rings separated by a plastic spacer inside that connector. Seat the rear O-ring, slide the plastic spacer back against it, then seat the front O-ring. Using two O-ring picks helped a lot to hold the spacer in place while seating the front O-ring.

It's doable. Keep at it, it's very "fiddly"!

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:03 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: '00 SSEi (proj), '99 Tahoe & '05 Bonne GXP
Better off just buying the connector/line combo and graft that in. Those o-rings are a beeeotch.

BonneMe wrote:
Looks like a Volt, Sonata, and Taurus got it on.