It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 94 SE won't crank.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:11 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1994 SE Bonneville
I have a 94 se and I'm having trouble trying to get it to crank up. The motor will turn over and it will fire from the spark plugs, I have check every fuse that I can find in the car and that is the 1's under the driver part of the dash and the ones near the computer part on the passangers side of the dash and the big fuses under the hood on the fire wall. When I turn the switch into the on spot I can not roll the windows up or down nore can I lock the doors with the powered locks, when I press the lock or unlock button or try to roll down the windows the inter light turn off when I press them and then turn back on when I let go of them but I have my inter lights and head and tail lights and I can still press the trunk reless button to get into the trunk. I checked the presser reless valve for the gas that is on the back part of the motor and right before the injecters and when I press it down gas just leckes out and don't spray out like it should. I don't think it is getting any gas to the motor because I can spray carb cleaner in to the air intake on the motor and keep it running as long as I don't run out of spray. I have just put new spark plugs and wires on the car so I that they are good and the old ones did the same thing and that is why I changed the spark plugs and wires. If anyone has any thing I should try or you may thing you know what the problem is please let me know. Any help greatly welcomed.

Post subject: Re: 94 SE won't crank.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:18 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: 2002 SLE
i didnt understand the part about interior lights turning off or something, but i think you may have found your problem - fuel pressure. get a gauge on there and see what it is:

willwren's steps

1. Key on (no start) and wait 2 seconds, off, and repeat three times, tell us the pressure. (three two-second primes)

2. At idle.

3. At idle with the FPR disconnected.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:20 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1991 SSE+I. 1994 ssei
have you checked your battery wires for corrosion and definitely check the ground busses in the floor as they are grounds for your fuel pump windows seats etc its definitely worth checking heres a link to where they are and what they look like. clean and put dielectric grease on them before reinstalling...worth a try
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2008

WCBF '08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:24 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

bonnevillain wrote:
i didnt understand the part about interior lights turning off or something, but i think you may have found your problem - fuel pressure. get a gauge on there and see what it is:

willwren's steps

1. Key on (no start) and wait 2 seconds, off, and repeat three times, tell us the pressure. (three two-second primes)

2. At idle.

3. At idle with the FPR disconnected.

Well about the interor light go off when ever you try to roll the windows up or down it is like you just cut the wire to the lights and the come back on when you let go of the window switch. But it is not even getting gas up there to put pressure on the prv so the pressure is close to nothing and I would only be able to do one of the three steps because the car will not crank up and run at idle or nothing. so i can only do one of the three steps untill I can get the car to crack up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:40 am 
SE Member
SE Member

tpulliam79 wrote:
have you checked your battery wires for corrosion and definitely check the ground busses in the floor as they are grounds for your fuel pump windows seats etc its definitely worth checking heres a link to where they are and what they look like. clean and put dielectric grease on them before reinstalling...worth a try
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2008

That fixed it and thank you for your help but now the radio is not working and it is getting 13.6 volt so any way you know of to fix that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:18 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 98 Caravan is the daily driver 215K
roadkills wrote:
...but now the radio is not working and it is getting 13.6 volt so any way you know of to fix that.
See if the wire carrying that 13.6 volts will light a tail light bulb. Volts can appear good, but a bad power or ground connection may not allow enough current to pass to operate the device. If a tail-lamp bulb lights when connected between the radio power feed and grounded to the radio chassis, then you can suspect the radio is bad.

1998 3.8 Dodge Caravan 214K
2000 3.3 Dodge Caravan 175K
1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-dr sedan 25K (needs some work!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:10 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1993 SSE (NA)
roadkills wrote:
That fixed it and thank you for your help but now the radio is not working and it is getting 13.6 volt so any way you know of to fix that.
Did the radio problem just show up after fixing the other problems? or has it been an existing problem? thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:02 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

93RedSled-SSE wrote:
roadkills wrote:
Did the radio problem just show up after fixing the other problems? or has it been an existing problem? thanks

well the radio was working just fine untill the car acted up and would not start and then it just stop turning on and every thing. i travle about 30 min to work every day and it is very boring to have no sound in the car. so what do you think it could be?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:05 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1994 SE
Try the wire thing and see if it will light up a tail light bulb. If it does than the radio is surly to be bad. Did you check the fuse that is for the radio? The fuse could just be blown.

163k miles (when traded), Hyper blue plasma xenon fog light bulbs, Pilot stainless steal exhaust tip, Chrome plated door edge guards, two JVC 12" subwoofers (Traded it for the 1984 Chevy Camaro Sport Coupe)

Current vehicles: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Sport Coupe, Black with white racing stripes, Built 305 C.I. V8, Quadrajet 4 barrel carburetor, Edlebrock intake, Chrome valve covers and Edlebrock air cleaner, Tinted windows (35%), Flowmaster exhaust with stainless steal tips. (Daily Driver)

1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, 92% restored, Dark blue metallic and silver metallic two tone paint, tinted windows (35%), Panasonic AM/FM CD/MP3 stereo with two 10" Pioneer subwoofers, silver painted rear drum brake covers, Flowmaster exhaust with chrome tips, 115k miles on body and 17k miles on engine. (Show Car)

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4, 195k miles, all stock except for a pilot motorsports stainless steel exhaust tip. (Work Truck)