It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:30 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: '97 SSEi
One of my Speaker Grills is cracked and of course that won't do! Would love to locate a replacement. If anyone can suggest a great used source, otherwise I can contact local GM who I'd guess might be able to order one from somewhere around the country. Is it safe to assume this is a snap in piece that WON'T require removal of the door panel? I love my Bonne' but leave it to GM to make it harder than required to replace something like that.

View of front lower corner, drivers door.

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:32 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
1. Go to wrecker.
2. Get part.
3. Pay for part.
4. Install.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:40 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 96 SSEi- 157K
yeah those are a great item to get from a u-pull junkyard. grab spares if you see more than one good one, I find they're very easy to kick on your way out lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:11 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Daily Driver: 2011 Impala LT
Weekender: '95 Aurora
I think the same little grilles are on all four doors of '93-'99 model Cadillac Devilles. It may be easier to find a Deville at a salvage yard than a Bonneville with a Bose system. The Caddy ones are color matched to the interior (i.e., tan interior has tan grilles), so you'd need to find one with a charcoal interior to get the right color. Shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Last edited by human on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
I thought I got rid of all my pre-00 parts, but I guess I do still have odds and ends. I have one of these grills, PM me.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:55 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Eager to get the replacement, does that just snap in? Certainly appears that it should but I don't like to assume. The way they make cars I wouldn't be surprised if I have to remove half of the door! (but I will be pleased when I don't have to do anything like that). Thanks much!

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

Last edited by jonnevilleSSEi on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Yes, it just snaps in

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:58 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

The part came in nicely packed and timely, thanks Haro.
Here are the current steps taken, and sort of completed...

Just in case anyone is curious, these are the molded-in clips "intended" to hold this in place. Hopefully they will work when I resume tomorrow.

One challenge was that the original one wasn't just clipped into place. It was "adhered" in position. At first I wondered what bonehead might have done that, soon I may learn why it's required. So removing the old grill remnant required a touch of brute force and determination. Overall, I am OK with that. The old one was trash (see honey, I can throw things away, once they are smashed into pieces I too will agree they are now trash!)

Putting the new one in was literally a snap and it looks mah-veh-lous. Though I realized quickly after placing it that I probably should have cleaned it up before it was in there. Oh well "too late" (or so I thought)

Until my next drive when I opened the door and it POPPED off as easily as I'd replaced it. Anyway, I have two thoughts on that and one is that after I rotate it and position it correctly it will stay locked in the door. The other is that some form of adhesive or other restraining mechanism will be required to make sure it stays put. I think I might have had the clips positioned at the indents in the opening and that was wrong but it was now dark out and cold and I had plans and needed to go inside. Really close though to having one thing solidly removed from the list. If only the list wasn't growing - sigh. When I reposition the grille and am sure it is holding secure I'll report in.

...and I'm reporting in, When I put it in today I aligned the clips with the recessed areas of the opening and pressed in on the full piece then touched on the frame near the clips themselves. Three slid in and the last one clicked as it popped into place. I gave it a slight back and forth rotation which helped it seat more securely. It feels snug, now.

Last edited by jonnevilleSSEi on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.