It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:01 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1998 SE
Any tips or tricks as to how to go about this? It looks as though ill have to take the whole dash apart to get to just one switch...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Remove radio bezel. It pops out. Feel for clip locations with a screwdriver or trim removal tool pushed under the edges.

Remove headlight knob. Pull the knob out (like you would to turn on the headlights) and feel/look at the back side. Push on the metal clip where it is closest to the back and pull the knob straight off the shaft.

Pull twilight sentinel knob straight off.

Remove grey trim from above/around gauge cluster.

Remove screws holding headlight switch in place.

Did I miss anything? It's been a while.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:26 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Nope you didnt miss a thing thanks that helped alot! However, ive run into another problem...So i replaced the switch and the dash lights started working for the first time since i got the car :bwoohoo: , but then i get it all put back together and messed around with the switch for a while when all of a sudden a little trail of smoke comes pouring out from just behind the dash where the switch is annnnd so the second switch is fried and $25 dollars later im no better off than i was before :banghead: I should prolly make a new post in electrical or something but any idea what this could be? My guess is theres a short someplace but there are about 20 wires coming off the switch plug. The strangest thing is that i can still turn on the parking/head lights, the dome interior lights, and the twilight sentinel using the switch only the dimmer part is not working. Maybe each wire coming off the plug controls a different aspect of the switch??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Was your new switch used? What year did it come from?

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:57 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

It was used and it came from another 98