It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:16 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 Oldsmobile LS L36 4T60-E
New L36 @ 110K Miles
Hey guys,
I am having a problem with my brakes. There is a vibration that comes from the front of the car when I stop from anything over 20 mph. I am thinking that its something to do with the calipers that I just installed from Pep Boys (reman junk). This is the second brake rebuild on this car in a year. See below for breakdown of what components were replaced each time I rebuilt:

Summer 2009:
Front slider pins seized and decided to take the calipers, pads, and rotors with them.
I replaced:
Slider Pins
Front Pads & Rotors
All brake lines front & rear
Front brake calipers from Pep Boys (reman yea I know :roll: believe me I learned my lesson)
Rear drums & shoes were left alone since they were in good shape

Fast forward to summer 2010 those new front rotors were warped and it was due to the caliper pistons on both calipers staying in the clamped position. I literally had to pry the calipers off the rotors.
So... I replaced:
Front pads & rotors
Slider pins & calipers (under warranty)
Rear drums
Flushed /bled system numerous times

The problem I am having now is that when I stop the car feels as if the rotors are warped and I receive a shudder from the front of the car. I thought I got a set of replacement defective warped rotors. So what did I do? I took the pads and rotors back under warranty and got replacements. I installed them again and the problem still persists. To those of you who will ask: yes I cleaned the hubs of all the rust when I installed the rotors and I torqued the heck out of all the lugs. When I take a right turn I hear what seems to be a brake pad screeching the rotor on the front drivers side. I am thinking that the rubber inserts on the caliper mounting pins are defective on the second set of calipers. Do you guys think this assumption is correct based on what I have told you? I know I should have gone AC delco with calipers, but they said they'd warranty them again I just want to make sure its the calipers. Any help is greatly appreciated. My apologies for the text book.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:43 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
How tight are your brake pads? If you hammered them into place, then they're far too tight. They should fit into the brackets using gentle hand pressure. You shouldn't have to force the pads in.

I'd take your pads out and file down the edges that go onto the bracket so they fit in easily. Then see if your screeching goes away.

I've had Pep Boys reman calipers on my Buick for 2 years with no issues so far...

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1993 SSEi
If you never replaced the rotors after the calipers siezed up on you, they will need to be turned to get rid of the warp from overheating. I'd rather replace then turn them, but as long as they are quality parts you should have lots of meat on them.