It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:14 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 bonneville
I just replaced the fuel pump on a 97 bonneville 3.8 no supercharger and it worked great for a day and again no fuel preusser and i did not hear the fuel pump kick on when i would turn the key so i droped the tank again and i find that theres melted wire on the conector (the 1 that would be inside the tank if that helps) thats on the sending unit.. can any one tell me how this would happen?? and i took a good picture but i cant figger out how the post it ??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:32 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville SSEI
I work at Advance Auto Parts and sell alot of fuel pumps for GM because of this same problem. Prior to selling car parts I was a certified mechanic for Ford Motor Company for 7 years. What name brand fuel pump was it that you bought? Did it come as fuel pump only or the complete sending unit? Did it include newer wiring harness for the fuel pump itself?

The main fuel pump brand we sell is from a company called Airtex, and to be completely honest they are junk. The Airtex brand we sell has the wiring harness replacement in with the fuel pump to serve as an upgrade. However the wiring is too small and cant carry the voltage and will melt or short out, this isnt always the case but it might be worth checking into. I am really hoping this helps out my friend. I know with me being a new member and everything I am going to have along way to go to have people think I know somethings but hopefully I get there someday.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:38 pm 
LE Member

Thanks for the inside info and the reply...i did get the fuel pump from auto zone and its the same make as the ones that advance sells.... i did not use the new wire hook up because i was not conferterable with sodderless conectors and some heat srink tubing or what ever you want to call it pluse he old conector hooked up to the new fuel pump.... ( i knew the job went a little to easy) :angry7: now what ?!?!?!?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:15 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

If auto zone carries airtex then they probably also carry delphi or bosch like advance auto does (we offer 1 year warranty on delphi and lifetime on the bosch.) i would recommend getting the bosch even though it costs an arm and a leg but it is a much better pump and also has the wiring, you will probably need to follow the burnt wires back a bit in the wiring harness and replace them as well. i really hope that this helps you and others out, let it be lesson learned i guess for the smaller wire from factory with aftermarket pumps. good luck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:00 pm 
LE Member

im going to have to go to the dealership and get the wires because it melted the conector and a bit of the wires that go to the flot part.... none of the wire that are out side of the tank are melted just the ones that would be in the tank ..... o and the day before i changed the pump the car started and i was messing with the fuel pump relay and it was pretty hot i dont know if that means theres going to be something else with this so i guess i will keep you posted thanks again for all your help

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:11 pm 
LE Member

:bhuh: I found a wire connector online at advanceauto.com part number PT2054 for about $50 what about that sucker do u think that would be better or no??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:00 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

yes that right there should be the guy you need, and as for the warm/hot fuel pump relay that was probably because of the pump being hot and working harder and or the thinner gauge wiring that is used factory on these. may i also recommend to you and most other users as well, do not let the gas get below half tank in these cars. with the fuel pump on most of these being a complete fuel pump assembly with the sending unit as one piece, the fuel pump works harder and gets hottest when the gas is below a half tank. hence the reason why i recommend the bosch lifetime warranty fuel pump units. better product as well as the warranty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:14 pm 
LE Member

well im going to auto zone tomorrow and im going to return the fuel pump and get my money back hopfuly with out kicking any 1 ass..lol thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:45 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

How did the return process go at auto zone? did you get the issue solved yet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:27 pm 
LE Member

hey i ended up getting a new sending unit and a new fuel pump the car is work great